Riccardo Tisci is Leaving Givenchy - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-02-2017
fashion elite

Riccardo Tisci is Leaving Givenchy
Quote:
Riccrado Tisci is leaving Givenchy. The French design house confirmed his departure exclusively to WWD, noting that his last collections were last month's fall-winter 2017 menís wear and fall 2017 couture. Sources described the parting as mutual and amicable, the separation effective January 31, following the expiration of his latest employment agreement.
thefashionlaw.com

fashion insider

So the rumors were true, he will head Versace so Donatella can retire

02-02-2017
trendsetter

I wonder if he will go to Versace?! All these changes are exciting....

fashion elite

Bravo Riccardo for the accomplishments at Givenchy. What he did wasn't an easy task and above all he made relevant again a legendary name that hasn't been relevant at least 30 years prior to his arrival.
I'll always remember the flawless collections he delivered at Givenchy and the inspiration and influence he had on people...

Sadly enough, he showed a real lack of interest in his work since maybe 2013-2014. He is just leaving at the right time...He is still has influence in the culture, has developped a kind of cult around him and the house is doing beyond good financially.

I can't wait to see him at Versace...He has basically transformed Givenchy into a modern version of early to mid 90's Versace.

Now, Bernard Arnault will have to be very clever for the Givenchy thing to not make a lot of mistakes like Pinault did.

Hedi Slimane could be the one but i believe he only have Chanel in mind...
Alber could be a little bit too sophisticated and joyful

Peter Dundas can do the job. What he did at Cavalli wasn't that great but he can do wonderful things.

I'll put Lucas Ossendrijver at the menswear.

My personal favorite at the womenswear is Ronald Van Der Kemp. He is just perfect for this and the house will not risk to loose it edge with him...

02-02-2017
V.I.P.

Wow I really didn't think the Versace rumors would be true.

Glad he's leaving tho. His tenure at Givenchy was definitely one of the most impactful in recent history, but his work there became unbearable to me circa 2011. Too much noise and too little work.

Slimane would be great for Givenchy...

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems

02-02-2017
V.I.P.

God, not him at Versace!!! That's awful. Givenchy hasn't even been nice since 2010.

But i agree about Peter for Givenchy! If he doesn't **** it up like how he did with Cavalli though.

tfs star

Another one of the industry's worst kept secrets, now let's see if the other half of the rumors are true and he goes to Donatella's rescue.

I wonder if they have already tapped a successor at Givenchy or the team will design the women's Fall 2017 collection. I hope they do not chose some all-hype, flash-in-the-pan cool designer. Pilati please!!

fashion elite

^ The team is designing women's Fall 2017. There won't be a show, only a private presentation for buyers.

front row

I don't really mind what Ricardo will do from now on, I loved what He did during his early years at Givenchy but his vision is so tired and redundant at this point. Good for him if He takes over Versace...

Hopefully They will choose someone who is interested in Hubert's legacy and not a random fashion insider to keep doing streetwear.

My vote goes to Alber Elbaz

02-02-2017
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogueDisciple93 View Post
Another one of the industry's worst kept secrets, now let's see if the other half of the rumors are true and he goes to Donatella's rescue.

I wonder if they have already tapped a successor at Givenchy or the team will design the women's Fall 2017 collection. I hope they do not chose some all-hype, flash-in-the-pan cool designer. Pilati please!!
Pilati can be great even if he is a little bit too bourgeois for Givenchy. That FW12 Menswear collection he did for Saint Laurent is still IMO one of the best menswear collection ever in this decade.

We all know from now that Bernard Arnault is not afraid for his brands to change directions as long as they are backed by a strong creative force.

I'm sure they will choose someone with a strong vision.

I just hope that this time, Carine will not be involved in the hiring process...

02-02-2017
backstage pass

I haven't been paying attention for a while so I did not see this coming. His work at Givenchy has been amazing but I agree with the consensus that in the last few years his work has bit kind of eh. Him at Versace though, I'm not sure exactly how I feel. I love Donnatella's work even though she has had some bland moments. Maybe she could bring something fresh to the house, assuming the rumors are true.

02-02-2017
front row

Tisci has done wonders at Givenchy but I can see his lack of enthusiasm since Fall 2014, everything he has created since then were mostly repetitive. I hope this move wouldn't end up being like Dundas at Cavalli. And I really hope Pilati would make a comeback and take over the brand. This man has been so underrated and I genuinely miss him so much.

02-02-2017
V.I.P.

YES! Finally! That's all I can say. His early collections for the house were awesome, but the last few years were boring and awful. Getting in bed with Kardashians and the like only made matters worse.

fashion elite

Ronald van der Kemp would fit Givenchy perfectly
Hope he gets the job

02-02-2017
V.I.P.

Good for him.. the second half of his tenure started to resemble that government worker that's been zombie-filing the same thing for a little too long.. lazier and more corrupted every passing day. I actually hope he doesn't go to another house right away and instead takes a couple of years off to reflect and evaluate things a little... he used to create such beautiful work and of course the potential is still there, but so polluted by this fame-whore needs (endorsing the bottom of the barrel of the celebrity world, turning himself into a recognizable celebrity at all costs). Maybe after some time off, he could revive his own label.. I think fashion is aching for some sense of independence..

He was kind of the best thing that could've happened to a house like Givenchy at the time, considering how it was (even McQueen sucked at it and don't get me started on Julien Macdonald ).. hopefully they'll find someone with a refreshing and kind of "pure" approach to design the way Riccardo was at the beginning.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
givenchy, leaving, riccardo, tisci