How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-09-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
The point is unclear. He's definitely got my attention, no doubt, but I am not sure what he's saying.

Therein lies the problem.

It's great to create a stir, to make us sit up and look, but to what end? It seems to be about race - as he's thrown in the token caucasian girls, and we know it's often the other way around. Or maybe it's about models in other ways...? The industry's strictures? That his clothes are for anyone? That his clothing has attitude?

Dunno?

In any case, much analysis to follow, no doubt.

Please, Mr. Owens, do tell...
I wish his clothes are for everyone... My bank account would not agree that his clothes are for everyone...

26-09-2013
V.I.P.

Context: they're a dance group that Rick brought from the US and they presented the collection in a crazy awesome performance

nowfashion

Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
...I am not sure what he's saying.
I am pretty sure that he is saying that the industry discriminates against black people, "large" people, and possibly nuns and priests, and they're mad. But since he has a history of using the slenderest, whitest models on the planet, maybe it's more personal and he is striking back at some unseen critic of his past casting habits.

In any case, I don't have a thing for nuns or priests and I probably wouldn't like these clothes on anyone.

V.I.P.

Thanks Marc10, that helps.

Do you know the name of the dance group? I would love to find out more. I hope,too, that someone posts/finds the video.

Quote:
...and possibly nuns and priests, and they're mad.
tangerine.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 26-09-2013 at 12:56 PM.
26-09-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
I am not really sure what to think about this. Rick Owens is certainly the kind of designer that can deliver something unconventional like this without making a fool out of himself. It's a bold statement and it's fun, in a way. At the same time his aesthetic is so limited and I've always perceived him as a designer who designs exclusively for tall, lanky people (those long skinny sleeves on everything, the flimsy sheer materials, all the tight leather stuff, etc.) so this just looks completely weird and also seems hypocritical. It's obvious he did not design those clothes with these women in mind, so almost none of this looks good on those models Makes it very hard to actually judge the collection. So yeah, very mixed feelings towards this kind of presentation.
i think you're wrong about the people he designs for. While, yes it is an exclusive crowd and more like a tribe I have seen all types of people in his garments. I love this presentation and a collection with all really women in his clothes really says a lot. I cant wait to see the video

I think he is continuing his message about the women who wear his clothes. He often references tribal and uses the word a lot and step dancing originates from African tribes. I think this is brilliant and way to not just reference something but actually to be imerced in the culture completely.

Last edited by TREVOFASHIONISTO; 26-09-2013 at 12:58 PM.
26-09-2013
.my prison is your brain.

I definitely agree with Psylocke about his target market. Also, that he's an artist (an overused word in the fashion world -- but he is definitely one), and can get away with a presentation like this.

This season has sucked so bad, I kind of enjoyed the activity and liveliness. But, yeah, can't say I can really appreciate the actual clothes themselves.

26-09-2013
rising star

tumblr.com

Bless rick. I salute him for this. This is the best show and the best casting of this season for me (not sure about the collection tho). This is breaking all rules and stereotypes. I love how theatrical the presentation is. Of course, you'll be confused at first when you saw the runway pictures if you didn't watch the show and it's not the best documentation. But you can tell there's something going on from the pictures and it's not the typical fashion show with skinny white girls.

This is like a "f*ck you" in the face for the stereotyping in the industry.

26-09-2013
V.I.P.

i think its a freakin riot, i just wish i liked the clothes.

26-09-2013
V.I.P.

I actually really love the blatant social commentary. Finally, a designer that doesn't sugar coat! I'm really excited to see the video of this, even if I think the clothes are really forgettable.

V.I.P.

- yes - i like it - can´t wait for the vid

26-09-2013
fashion insider

I'm not surprised he'd pull such a stint, it's just being Rick Owens, I'd be more thrilled to see Heidi Slimane try this.

26-09-2013
tfs star

my love for Rick Owens has grown because of this, I cannot wait for the video. Can't wait to see what Tom Banks has to say about this

Last edited by TheoG; 26-09-2013 at 01:35 PM.

26-09-2013
Hell on Heels

I can't wait for the video. I love this so much,but on the other hand, just like psylocke said, it just seems a bit hypocritical, coming from someone whose clothes are like impossibly to fit in unless you're super tall and super skinny. it's just weird. I'm also not too fond of the clothes presented here, apart from a few separate pieces here and there.

26-09-2013
trendsetter

Other than the opening, that was some of the MESSIEST and most forgettable stepping I've ever seen. Then on top of it, the clothes are a mess too. I doubt anyone at any size would look good in these slabs of fabric that resemble various warrior's uniform.
Cute idea, and I expect A LOT of people to be talking about it - at least he tried a different approach of showing - but it crashed and burned for me

Last edited by VogueDisciple93; 26-09-2013 at 01:45 PM.
26-09-2013
rising star

I love the concept of using different models; but the problem is that, at the end, I just cannot remember any garment presented there. Not a single one. And just because I am unable to focus on the clothes, because of the presentation.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, owens, paris, rick, s or s