How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-09-2013
backstage pass

Good luck selling this, baby.

26-09-2013
V.I.P.

people in this thread sadden me... one of the least socially progressive industries is fashion and it shows just from reading some of the comments. "Orange is the New Black"?! And maybe you aren't familiar with stomping but routines arent suppose to be pretty or be about looking cute in the face its about conveying strength and showing power and unity.

26-09-2013
V.I.P.

Oh my lord! Uhm...
I get what rick is trying to do, which is totally outta this world, but ugh... the clothes!!! they simply do not look good on these people...

front row

Hurray for diversity in size and color!! but why not use your fashion design skills to make the "real people" look as gorgeous as models if not more gorgeous?! Why not give them real options to wear in life instead of making some abstract dance performers costumes to create noise and hype? not cool. Give those people new strength using what you do best - clothing.

26-09-2013
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn View Post
The clothes look great, the presentation stunning. I wonder if y'all would be complaining if this same style of presentation was done on the typical thin models?
*Ding ding ding* I think we have a winner. But seriously, the presentation was creative, insightful, and just plain fun to watch. I really appreciate Rick Owens actually having a diverse cast, size and race wise, it's so great to see on the runway. Perhaps it was more 'theatrical' then what a standard show would be but I think it just really highlights these women's Stepping talents, and it's very cool of him to give them this platform. However, while I applaud him for this show, I'll applaud him even more if he keeps up the diverse casting in future shows. That would be far more praiseworthy rather then just using diversity as a prop in one show. Were the clothes revolutionary? Perhaps not but they were very Rick Owen's and maybe sometimes it's not just about the clothes but the commentary too. This collection just goes to show that his designs can look fantastic on women of all shapes. I do think the women look really awesome and I want all the leather jackets.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post
Hurray for diversity in size and color!! but why not use your fashion design skills to make the "real people" look as gorgeous as models if not more gorgeous?! Why not give them real options to wear in life instead of making some abstract dance performers costumes to create noise and hype? not cool. Give those people new strength using what you do best - clothing.
I really agree w/ this! thanks

V.I.P.

Actually, when I looked at the dance shots that Marc10 kindly posted for us to provide context, I didn't think the women wearing them looked that bad at all. Owen has often been known for tough and edgy clothing, which would seem to suit the aesthetic of this dancing troop, so there seems to be nothing incongruous there. The leather looks quite good on a lot of these women, whether for performance or real life.

It's also kind of cool to hear of a show that's actually a real "show" and Rick's also nothing if not theatrical. I'd love to see the video though.

Someone on here mentioned he has ties to the hip-hop scene; I don't know anything about that, but I do know he's been sporting big kicks for a l-o-n-g time, before they were cool or mainstream.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
26-09-2013
scenester

i wanna see the video !!!! anyone plzzzzz~~~!!!!!

26-09-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
people in this thread sadden me... one of the least socially progressive industries is fashion and it shows just from reading some of the comments. "Orange is the New Black"?! And maybe you aren't familiar with stomping but routines arent suppose to be pretty or be about looking cute in the face its about conveying strength and showing power and unity.
I agree with some of your sentiments, but I'm also conflicted. I think what is unsettling to everyone is the the fact that Rick Owens is showcasing women of color in various sizes and yet it's done somewhat in a manner of caricature. The question remains to be seen whether or not these women were used for shock value or a sincere act of interest in creating inclusion that is neccesary for progress. Would we get this amount of diversity if it was a "normal" fashion show? Owens decided to utilize exaggerated facial expressions and stomping to convey the notion of power in which black women are commonly stigmatized as the "strong black female". Women are more than clothes hangers and yet I find the these images lacking respect for those who are not privileged in society to be seen as beautiful in the world of fashion.

V.I.P.

^
Quote:
it's done somewhat in a manner of caricature
Interesting... see that was my initial impression, that the women with these exaggerated expressions were over-the-top.

But then another poster said that these expressions and this sort of hyperbolic presentation was common to stomping performance.

So is it a caricature or not? That's what I am confused about.

The images of him hugging the dancers at the end suggests sincere warmth.

There is certainly nothing wrong with attempting to but stereotypes, but are you suggesting he's perpetuating them?

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
26-09-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
september 26, 2013
paris
by tim blanks

rick owens thinks of himself as the classic american in paris, mesmerized by the culture that surrounds him. So he wanted to give something back with his new collection, something from his world. But there was no way that parisians—or anyone anywhere, for that matter—could be prepared for what rick gave today.

For inspiration, he looked to stepping, the hybrid of step dancing, cheerleading, and military drill that is as competitive as cheerleading in african-american colleges. For the past five months, owens and his people worked with stepping teams from four sororities—washington divas, soul steppers, momentum, and zetas—to produce a performance that was as spectacularly synchronized and spotlighted as a busby berkeley celluloid set piece from the golden age of hollywood.

Forty dancers—features set in a scowl steppers call "grit face," intended to intimidate the competition—pounded the catwalk in outfits that transfigured owens' signature wrapped, draped tropes. These women needed to move. The clothes were adjusted accordingly, hiked, laced, slit, zipped to allow maximum motion. It was a revelation to see owens' clothes so transformed: Immediate electricity rather than the monumental serenity that has pervaded his womenswear of late. If he's always wanted to create clothes that were, as he said, "a cross of elegance and roughness," this was the time and place he made that happen. In his hands, the notion of extreme sportswear became something as gorgeously unlikely as the nba in vionnet. And that was some kind of vision.

More than that, it was bliss to experience rick's joyous assault on fashion orthodoxy. "we're rejecting conventional beauty, creating our own beauty," he said. He's acutely aware of the accusations of cultishness that are leveled against his clothes, but all those body types today added up to as inclusive a catwalk vision of womanhood as we're ever likely to see. Such a gentle notion, and yet it struck home with a sledgehammer force. Sure, the breathtaking presentation counted for a lot, but it got its overwhelmingly timely weight from the culture of denial and exclusion that is currently eroding american politics.
style.com

26-09-2013
fashion icon

To be able seeing his clothes on real people it was a blessed. The show was authentic in a way, the concept was great same as the clothes. I never expected anything like this from him ever so it was a big surprised that I love.

26-09-2013
V.I.P.

There are some nice dance photos at the Satorialist:

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photo...summer-2014-2/

26-09-2013
backstage pass

VIDEO
http://video.vogue.com/watch/rick-owens-spring-2014

There you can see the video of the incredible presentation. I'm speechless. It's one of the most amazing fashion moments ever. (However I agree with those who think that the clothes should have been made to fit a larger type of body.)

V.I.P.

"vicious" - a modern amazon-warrior is dressed to win her war
really major - major, major, major,

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, owens, paris, rick, s or s