How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-12-2010
fashion insider

The video tribute is so beautiful.

11-12-2010
fashion insider

I miss him.

04-02-2011
Mr. Magic

youkioske

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
04-02-2011
backstage pass

can't believe it's nearly been a year since his death. the tragedy hasn't got any easier.

04-02-2011
fashion insider

I see some collections and cry, how a person who create so beautiful things could die?

11-02-2011
rising star

RIP Lee, remembering you, especially today.

backstage pass

it's been a year already.

front row

one year. wow. still not over it. =/

she's got the look

time went by so fast can't believe it's already one year.

she's got the look

time went by so fast can't believe it's already a year.

front row

a year already

11-02-2011
rising star

A year? Oh, God, I can't believe it! I still have these times when I see some of his pieces and I just think for a moment that it wasn't happened. But it was. Terrible world.

20-02-2011
rising star

For those interested there is a documentary on More 4 on Friday 25 February at 9pm. It's called McQueen and I and is nearly two hours long. The blurb says: Alexander McQueen had the kind of fashion genius that only comes around once in a generation. He reinvented the catwalk and created clothes that shocked and thrilled his audience.

This dramatic and elegantly shot film tells McQueen's story, by examining critical relationships - most significantly with the eccentric stylist, Isabella Blow, who was credited with discovering McQueen and making his meteoric rise to the pinnacle of world fashion possible. McQueen and I includes rare footage of McQueen, and unseen interviews with the woman who shared his ambitions and inspiration.

McQueen's designs were beautiful, savage and revolutionary, erupting from his frenetic imagination. They catapulted him from tough beginnings in the East End to becoming the darling of the catwalks the world over.

From his first graduation show, the hard-up McQueen found a muse and patron in Blow, an exotic aristocrat with a keen eye for talent who would embark upon a fierce campaign to propel the fledgling designer to the forefront of fashion and for his work to gain the recognition it deserved.

To Isabella, McQueen was the genius 'who makes clothes fly'. The tempestuous connection between them was of two outsiders attracted by each other's exuberance and rebellious spirit.

His striking collections and explosive shows quickly earned him a reputation for controversy and he shocked the fashion world. McQueen challenged every convention: with 'bumster' trousers and lunatic asylum shows, with car robots on the catwalk and Kate Moss as a hologram.

Behind the creative drive of both McQueen and Isabella Blow was a darkness that couldn't be kept in check and that McQueen shielded from the public. In 2007, after repeated attempts, Isabella took her own life. One of McQueen's greatest shows was a memorial to her. Three years later and four months after his latest triumph in Paris - his best show yet according to critics - McQueen tragically echoed Isabella when he committed suicide in February 2010.

The film-makers for McQueen and I interview friends, models and journalists, as well as his brother and ex-boyfriend, to discover what McQueen was really like away from the limelight, the pressure that came with his success and how he changed through the rollercoaster years.
-------------------------------

As it has Detmar in it I am a little suspicious as he's hardly a) objective or b) full of perspective. However, for a long documentary full of McQueen I'm very interested to see it.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/mcqueen-and-i

backstage pass

I Cannot Wait For This

22-02-2011
Some Like It Hot

The Book Alexander McQueen : Savage Beauty will be released on the 30th April

Quote:
Savage Beauty

SAMANTHA CAMERON and Anna Wintour gathered London's fashion press at the Ritz this morning - the site of Alexander McQueen's first post-graduate show - to unveil Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty, the exhibition to be held at the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute; which will be launched by this year's Met Ball on May 2.
"When I heard from Anna Wintour that the Costume Institute's major annual exhibition would explore the artistry of Alexander McQueen, I was thrilled by this recognition of British fashion," Cameron said. "I'm sure that the party on the second of May will be a very, very special night."
Thomas P Campbell, director of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Andrew Bolton, the Costume Institute's curator, both spoke at length about McQueen's contribution to the fashion world - as well as his standing as an artist in his own right.
"McQueen's work fits easily in the discourse of art. He can be considered no less than a great artist," Campbell said, before thanking Anna Wintour for helping make the exhibition possible thanks to her "spirit and brilliance".
"We drew on the McQueen archive in London and are indebted to McQueen's so-workers and colleagues for their willingness to share their memories of him," Bolton said. "Especially Stella McCartney, whose friendship with McQueen makes her an ideal co-chair for the Costume Institute Ball, and Sarah Burton, who gave a valuable insight in to McQueen's design process over the past 14 years."
Stella McCartney and Sarah Burton joined Wintour, Cameron, Campbell and Bolton at this morning's launch, flanked by some of McQueen's most impressive creations. The exhibition will run from May 4 to July 31, 2011, and will features pieces from all of McQueen's collections - from Nihilism in 1994, to his posthumous Angels & Demons collection in 2010. The McQueen tartan, the Kate Moss hologram and cabinets of McQueen "curiosities" will be highlights of an exhibition whose scale aims to come close to the genius of the man himself.
*Amazon.co.uk & Vogue.co.uk

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 1969, 2010, alexander, cbe, mcqueen, rip