How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-07-2010
V.I.P.

RIP Alexander McQueen CBE : 1969 - 2010 #2
Moderator's note:
  • In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (eg in the old closed thread).
  • Please remember to stay on topic... All off topic discussion will be removed.
  • Please do not power post eg make empty posts with no Info/questions/Images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.

To view old thread, click here.
Thank you.

Harper's Bazaar Mexico - No.5 Junio 2010

Last edited by La bordélique; 22-11-2010 at 10:53 PM.

19-07-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirik View Post
Harper's Bazaar Mexico - No.5 Junio 2010

Thank you Mirik
What a strong and handsome portrait of Lee!

29-07-2010
windowshopping

the true genious... rest in peace

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejarc View Post
The McQueen book is just a desperate try to make some money with him. I recommend the L'officiel McQueen special. It had more pictures, editorial pcitures and it was cheaper.
I agree, the L'Officiel special is quite good!

01-08-2010
scenester

McQueen tribute
After McQueen's shocking death, I decided to shoot a couple of tribute pictures (personal work using self-made clothing) inspired by his outstanding aesthetics that surely influenced so many of us...

I'd like to share them here & hope you like them.

03-08-2010
windowshopping

Rest in peace_

front row

McQueen Tribute
"After McQueen's shocking death, I decided to shoot a couple of tribute pictures (personal work using self-made clothing) inspired by his outstanding aesthetics that surely influenced so many of us...

I'd like to share them here & hope you like them." ThomasSing.

The influence is beautifully apparent.
Your photographs are gorgeous!
I'm sure that Lee McQueen would be very flattered.
Thank you for your posting these.

05-09-2010
windowshopping

a brilliant designer, a very influential and inspirational icon in fashion.
McQueen you are truly missed.

11-09-2010
front row

I miss him so much. Especially during fashion week..

11-09-2010
front row

He made a huge step foward for today's fashion, showed so much creativity and a clear vision. True style, new shapes and patterns. It will never be the same & no one can replace him.
Still can't believe he is gone.
R.I.P. <3

14-09-2010
V.I.P.

beacause McQueen and his genius idea, lady gaga won the best video "bad romance" at MTV VMAS

can't believe he is gone now..
R.I.P

front row

I'm still deeply saddened by the loss of the greatest designer of our time. He was truly a visionary and well be deeply missed.

Rest In Peace
Alexander McQueen

20-09-2010
fashion insider

From Vogue.co.uk about today's memorial at London Fashion Week:
Quote:
A MEMORIAL service for Lee Alexander McQueen took place at 11am this morning in St Paul's Cathedral.
Addresses were given by Anna Wintour, Shaun Leane (who described their relationship as like that of Bill Sykes and the Artful Dodger), Suzy Menkes and Annabelle Nielson, while Jonathan Akeroyd - ceo of Alexander McQueen - and Philip Treacy contributed to the prayers.
Bjork, dressed as an angel, gave a poignant and outstanding performance of Gloomy Sunday. The London Community Gospel Choir also performed and the congregation, which included Lee's close friends and family as well as many of the fashion industry's most recognised faces - including Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell - sang Amazing Grace, I Vow To Thee My Country and Jerusalem.
http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/daily/10...l-service.aspx

less is more

See here for more on the memorial

20-09-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Fashion elite remembers McQueen in London service

By GREGORY KATZ (AP) – 1 hour ago

LONDON — They came in sky-high heels and huge dark sunglasses and even managed to flash a little cleavage from their deep black mourning outfits.

The world's fashion elite gathered beneath the magnificent dome of St. Paul's Cathedral Monday to celebrate the legacy of Alexander McQueen, the troubled British designer who took his own life in early February.

The crowd included a Who's Who of fashion central: American Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, models Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell, designer Stella McCartney, "Sex and the City" star Sarah Jessica Parker, and dozens of other McQueen devotees.

The event brought London Fashion Week to a halt — no one wanted to show a collection while the giants of the industry were marking the passing of McQueen, an iconoclast who was Britain's most celebrated, controversial and outrageous designer.

Those who could wore McQueen outfits, including some with his signature tartan. Many women wore his beautiful black shoes, some offset with the gold chains and the impossibly high heels he favored.

Wintour, elegant in a black and gold ensemble, said McQueen was never satisfied with his work and always vowed to do better, even when he had broken new ground with one of his shocking and sophisticated shows. She said he was happiest in his studio, where he often worked all night, falling asleep with his dog on a couch.

Wintour and others hinted at his dark side. She spoke of his sometimes "savage tongue" and the discomfort he felt with the social niceties required by the fashion world.

"We always forgave Alexander," she said after describing how McQueen failed to show up for his first-ever American Vogue photo shoot and then told editors there that he couldn't care less about the magazine — one of the fashion industry's most influential publications.

She said that only later did she find out that McQueen had not come to the photo shoot because he was receiving unemployment benefits and didn't want to jeopardize his payments by appearing to be financially successful in the magazine.

Wintour said McQueen grew up in the hardscrabble East End of London not far from St. Paul's and never strayed far from his beloved London roots.

"As a child he loved nothing more than sitting on the roof top and watching birds fly by," she said. "His final collection was a battle between dark and light. His was an 18-year career of harnessing his dreams and demons. But he has left us with an exceptional legacy, a talent that soared like the birds of his childhood above us all."

No one spoke directly about the reasons behind his suicide, but it was clear from the eulogies that McQueen had been a complex, occasionally tormented individual who was often unable to enjoy his rare gift.

He had a history of depression and was said to be devastated by the loss of his mother, who died on Feb. 2. McQueen's body was found in his London apartment nine days later.

Even his close friends admitted he was almost as quick with a straight-to-the-guts insult as he was with a deeply felt compliment.

"He was a designer with an unparalleled vision of the future, but he was dragged down by his demons," said International Herald Tribune fashion editor Suzy Menkes. "McQueen was a mix of the savage and the romantic."

She drew a laugh commenting on the "misogynistic" quality of one of McQueen's last pair of shoes, the notorious "lobster claws" with 10-inch (25-centimeter) heels favored by Lady Gaga. Indeed, one model wearing McQueen high heels did take a tumble on the cobbled stones outside the cathedral.

Icelandic singer and actress Bjork, wearing an unusual McQueen outfit complete with mock wings, sang "Gloomy Sunday," a dark song dealing with death and loss popularized by American singer Billie Holiday.

Jewelry designer Shaun Leane spoke about his long, intense friendship with McQueen — making a joke about how McQueen would have enjoyed the grand setting for his service — and leading hatmaker Philip Treacy read one of the prayers.

After the service, a lone bagpiper — reflecting McQueen's Scottish roots — led the mourners out of the cathedral, joining other pipers on the steps of the venerable building, a 17th century masterpiece designed by Christopher Wren.

"It was beautiful, but very intense," said model Jade Parfitt afterward. "I'm at a loss for words."
Associated Press

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 1969, 2010, alexander, cbe, mcqueen, rip