How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-06-2011
Mr. Magic

Facebook/Rodarte

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

21-06-2011
Mr. Magic

Facebook/Rodarte

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

21-06-2011
Looking Up

Wow, thanks Flashbang.

Again, just the details can make me like this, regardless of how the outfits look.

21-06-2011
scenester

Quote:
Yes, I see hand sewn release pleats -- sewn rather poorly.
Your eye is better than mine, I definitely didn't notice that in the large pictures. Gruesome pleats. Couture closeups are supposed to be like Christmas presents.

My most superficial self is hopelessly drawn to the minty green and pale blue dresses, though. They look like Easter candy. I want to eat them.

21-06-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
This is the sloppiest couture i've ever seen. Just came from the McQueen exhibit today, THAT is couture, not this dashed together nonsense.

Yes, I see hand sewn release pleats -- sewn rather poorly. I see some "couture" draping, but I've seen the likes on Project Runway as well. It may as well be stapled and glued together.

There is no lyricism in line or unity in form, not the kind you'd see from people who know what they are doing. Instead, these dresses, like most of their clothes, look comprised of disjointed unrelated elements collaged without consideration or foresight. Some look quite disastrous, others are actually enthralling... but due to the overall poor sensibility that grand effect seems only accidental.

These girls have a vision but they have no craft. They can't cut and they can't sew and they don't know fabrics and it's quite evident in their clothes, even more so in their "couture". I'd be interested in seeing what they could come up with once that is changed. Until then, the emperor still has no clothes, even if you show it in Florence.
Harsh, but very well expressed, Mutterlein. I never understood the love for their designs, as it was too feathers and glitter for my taste, but the constant praise for their craftsmanship is often brought up as a reason for the deserved hype. I can't sew to safe my life, nor am I familiar with any sewing techniques, but those close-up shots of their work look sloppy to my untrained eye.

As for their designs: I'm instantly reminded of the gaudy costumes made for those commercial and cheap plastic Christmas-top angels; complete with the gold starburst halo. Is that their inspiration? This is not frumpy at all-- it's just plain gaudy.

22-06-2011
V.I.P.

I was so suprised by the first page of praise.

I don't dislike Rodarte, and I like its whimsical sensibility - however - HOWEVER, the craftsmanship is simply not there. I'm not an expert on craft, but even I can see the difference between couture craftsmanship in it's sheer skill, intricacy and work - and the rather amateurish way that Rodarte's clothing is put together.

I, also, just don't get the hype.

Last edited by ponytrot; 22-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.
23-06-2011
windowshopping

I'm in love with the first picture on the first page!

23-06-2011
front row

luv the way they deal with the fabric

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
collection, couture, pitti, rodarte