How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-02-2009
at the irish pub

The way that they do the dresses, their fabrics amaze me!

18-02-2009
V.I.P.

Can't be said better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
yeah- agreed...
and some of these fabrics and finishes which i am sure they are hand doing in their own studio will not hold up to any wear ...
most will fuzz or tear or generally fall apart in 2-3 wears i would bet...

and what is with using only ONE silhouette for the whole show?!.
i mean- it's a more wearable silhouette than usual for them...sure...
but what if you don't LIKE that silo or what if it just looks bad on you?!?...
hello?~
and how is doing 33 variations of the same thing even remotely creative..?!

it's redundant and repetitive...

18-02-2009
fashion elite

I love the colors and compositions of the patterns, therein lies their innovation. I like how their pieces look uniquely "Rodarte", yet their perspective changes each season with subtle differences.

18-02-2009
she's got the look

I wish I could like Rodarte but I can't... I know it sounds ignorant but there's always too much going on. The fabrics' choice is interesting but I don't like how they were mixed... I found it quite unattractive. The boots are nice though.

backstage pass

Most of the clothes look really good but for winter?
But i hate the boots they completly ruin the collection for me.

fashion insider

THIS IS MY FAVORITE COLLECTION OF THE NY FASHION WEEK. OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGG. Those thigh high boots are so beautiful. It is as if Rodarte decided to take the latex legging trend to the next level. A lot of this clothing doesn't even look real, it looks fantastical. I can't.

18-02-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakk View Post
THIS IS MY FAVORITE COLLECTION OF THE NY FASHION WEEK. OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGG. Those thigh high boots are so beautiful. It is as if Rodarte decided to take the latex legging trend to the next level. A lot of this clothing doesn't even look real, it looks fantastical. I can't.
Thumbs up! My fav as well!

fashion insider

Quote:
yeah- agreed...
and some of these fabrics and finishes which i am sure they are hand doing in their own studio will not hold up to any wear ...
most will fuzz or tear or generally fall apart in 2-3 wears i would bet...

and what is with using only ONE silhouette for the whole show?!.
i mean- it's a more wearable silhouette than usual for them...sure...
but what if you don't LIKE that silo or what if it just looks bad on you?!?...
hello?~
and how is doing 33 variations of the same thing even remotely creative..?!

it's redundant and repetitive...

Agreed Exactly. These are lovely one-off pieces in their own right, but Rodarte seems capable of only one particular technique in making clothes, i.e. collage and sew over a mannequin form. In that sense, they will not make practical wearable designs (not an essential in fashion, I know) and will not move fashion forward. It's fun to have collections like these but in the end, they are very limited and amateurish in their talent, a one-hit "wonder" (not even sure their creations are so great considering the fact that the results are quite crude...), not an amazing fashion force. Besides, this collage method has been done by other designers before, and those other more talented designers have also explore other aspects of designing, eg. construction, cut, other ways of handling materials, prints, textures, etc. Chalayan, Martin Margiela, etc. are some of these more talented designers capable of collages but also much more.

I don't dislike Rodarte, they get credit for attempting their own hand-sewn collage method, but putting them on a pedestal will not help them move forward in any way. It also sends the wrong message to other start-ups. They are very limited now, and if they indeed have more potential than this same old same old, then it's time also to expect more from them.

18-02-2009
less is more

Quote:
i don't see balenciaga...

i see hussein chalayan...
except it's not really futuristic...
more like art school experimentation with fabrics...

the hems are SO badly done..
they must have been shortened at the last minute..
you're right. I didn't notice the hems until you mentioned it. they look pretty bad... maybe they wanted them to sit above the top of the boots...

18-02-2009
Fat Karl

To be honest, I just don't think this whole "Rodarte is so one note" argument is called for. I think people are misconstruing their trilogy of SS 08/ FW 08/ SS 09 as them being limited. And while this collection has echos of all three of the trilogy collections, I don't really think I would associate it with any of those three, it feels very new for them (more so in silhouette).

Like I just said, I think people are being blinsighted by their trilogy and they're forgetting that before SS 08, Laura and Kate have designed four other collections. To say they haven't evolved at all is unfair, because in the course of three and a half years, they've gone from this...

to this...

to this...

to this...

to this...

and now to this...

It's truly a radical progression, and what it really impressive is that each collection feels unmistakable Rodarte.
(style.com)

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 18-02-2009 at 10:59 PM.
18-02-2009
fashion insider

^^^ AMEN ... your last quote is completely true

Last edited by cesarcmma; 18-02-2009 at 11:17 PM.
18-02-2009
fashion insider

Of course we're all subjective in our judgment. However, I never thought any of their previous collections stood out as unique collections with a strong signature, only their recent efforts. They hit their stride with the fashion press for the hand-patched aesthetic, but that one theme has been stretched out for way too long. And some 30 outfits based on that one look....it does appear one-note, even for just this ONE collection, not to mention THREE. There's a point where it's a signature (eg. like Slimane with Dior Homme) and a point where it's just repetition. Some of us see the latter. It also doesn't help that they follow rather than initiate fashion directions. This collection feels forced and crude in the end because they are trying to fit the collage method to a highly streamlined and precise Balenciaga silhouette. (I know the "Balenciaga-influenced" debate is always controversial, but there's a reason why some designers are discussed and many others, eg. MMM, Zero, McQueen, etc., aren't. Rodarte seems to be trailing the Balenciaga look on several occasions.). If they have managed that by doing collages in a way that defies the natural nature of collage and delivering a NEW type of collage fitted to precise shapes, eg. in the way they construct them, then at least they innovated something. Or they did material collages before everyone else, eg. the way Saunders started the blocking direction, they would be forward. But they didn't. As it is, I don't even know if they understand the nature of their medium and method.

It's a nice enough collection compared to the rest of NYFW, but they have yet to convince some of us that they're really *the future* of NYFW. They are getting much more attention and press than other young and indie designers, as such, they do have to expect more scrutiny of their work.

This is of course my personal opinion and thoughts. We're all entitled to our own POVs, but it is much more interesting if we state the "whys" rather than simply "likes/dislikes", and this is what I attempt to do. I don't have personal feelings towards the sisters, my views are what I can see from the progression of their work.

Last edited by Zazie; 18-02-2009 at 11:28 PM.
18-02-2009
trendsetter

I have to agree with dior_couture1245 on this.

18-02-2009
fashion insider

I'm out of here, nothing else to add to further the discussion...need to check out others and not enough time. Seriously, there should always be different POVs welcomed for every thread, good to hear both supporters and naysayers. And we all have our personal favourites and personal reasons for them. Best not to take any disagreement personally.

19-02-2009
rising star

Omg!!!
we were bored during christmas so we decided to do a "photoshoot"
I ripped some trash bag and put some electrical tape as leg wear

a take on sir Lagerfeld's 21st century raquel

and this is Rodarte Fall 2009

I love it!!!

(rodarte runway picture from http://inaya404.livejournal.com/ )

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, f or w, rodarte, york