How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-02-2009
less is more

^ that's a bit random

19-02-2009
V.I.P.

it s either they lack marketing skills or they only care about a certain group of women who will like that silhouette and it would fit them. it sure isn t everybody s cup of tea and as designers they should broaden their horizons a bit more in order to have more clientele.
this collection seems to be one of a graduating fashion student who still has a lot to learn from the real fashion world

19-02-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmangsat View Post
we were bored during christmas so we decided to do a "photoshoot"
so bad it's amazing.

vertebrae by vertebrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
To be honest, I just don't think this whole "Rodarte is so one note" argument is called for.
I agree, 100% with you. Thanks for the visual aid

I think there is a clear progression. I don't think they're too strongly influenced by anyone - and I don't think that their work is shabby in any way... i love the rawness mixed with the fantasy element. their attention to detail and the compositions they create within each garment are really something special. Their stuff might not always be my cup of tea but I truly support them and I think the path they're on is a good one.

19-02-2009
rising star

By CATHY HOYRN
Published: February 19, 2009

Destruction is an interesting motif for fashion. The scratched and crumbling textures of Kate and Laura Mulleavy’s dresses for Rodarte evoke toppled walls, broken concrete or shattered glass. The sisters from Pasadena, Calif., seem to have a thing for horror.

They are good not so much in conceiving a look for a fashion collection as in responding to their impulses. You sense that the Mulleavys literally feel their way through a collection, touching the fabrics, carefully dyeing them and making tender collages from the bits that attract them. There are some remarkable assemblages in their new line, shown Tuesday: marbleized leather, flashes of silver and green, smoky wisps of black yarn, most mounted on nearly invisible chiffon so as to appear dissolving.

These pieces, which take the shape of tunics and miniskirts worn with shaggy wool cardigans, have the quality of artifacts. As a counterweight, the sisters offered tough black leather, including motorcycle jackets with many straps around the body and arms, as though girded for battle. And the models wore over-the-knee boots that were lashed to the top with leather ties. Not an easy fashion to exit.

It’s baffling to hear people say that the Rodarte clothes are full of emotion when in fact they are emotionless. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. Over the last 30 years a number of designers have tried to evoke a cold, mechanistic world — few more eloquently than Rei Kawakubo of Comme des GarÁons and Martin Margiela. More recently Nicolas Ghesquiere of Balenciaga has used materials to suggest robots.

So, are the Mulleavys adding anything to the fashion of destruction that couldn’t be said more simply and profoundly with a widow’s black dress (to recall Ms. Kawakubo’s famous show in the ’90s)? The answer is no. If the sisters are seriously engaged by this sensibility — and it isn’t clear that they are — they need to get under the surface. All those scarred fabrics are essentially ornament; the underlying shapes don’t change much, and they’re not interesting. Indeed you wonder if they are bored or intimidated by the actual mechanics of design — cutting, setting a sleeve — and that what their clothes express isn’t technical virtuosity but inarticulateness.

nytimes.com

19-02-2009
Fat Karl

^^Thank you for posting that.

I've done some thinking...while I really do like this collection, I think it is time for Laura and Kate to move on from this apocalyptic stage. I know, I know...you all probably think I'm a hypocrite because I've been defending them so passionately in previous posts, but what I'm realizing my problem with this collection is that I wanted this it to develop something totally new for them. The trilogy was fantastic, wonderful and so memorable. Up until this point, I feel as though they truly have been moving onward and upward. While I certainly don't consider this collection a step down, I do think it was more of a plateau.

I love Rodarte, and their progression from their first SS 06 collection up to this point is both radical and, yet somehow, rather natural. I don't expect to, or even care to see them take huge steps upward from one season to the next (I like it when they play with their ideas over the course of a season or two), but I do want them to at least move around a little bit.

Plain Ol' Beautiful

Cathy Horyn is only human. I don't agree with her at any of her points.
What frustrates me is all those double standards people are applying to young designers, especially the Mulleavys.
Everybody applaudes radicalism when it's done by a big name. Breaking all the rules of fashion, ladida, how ground-breaking.
But no, the Mulleavys must stick to the rules, have to construct a sleeve.
To claim that their clothing is emotionless is downright ridiculous.

front row

nice, but the actual collection we will see in stores. they can't sell only dresses.

19-02-2009
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by irulan View Post
Cathy Horyn is only human. I don't agree with her at any of her points.
What frustrates me is all those double standards people are applying to young designers, especially the Mulleavys.
Everybody applaudes radicalism when it's done by a big name. Breaking all the rules of fashion, ladida, how ground-breaking.
But no, the Mulleavys must stick to the rules, have to construct a sleeve.
To claim that their clothing is emotionless is downright ridiculous.
I do agree that some of her comments were really harsh...epsecially the last sentence.
Quote:
Indeed you wonder if they are bored or intimidated by the actual mechanics of design — cutting, setting a sleeve — and that what their clothes express isn’t technical virtuosity but inarticulateness.
I usually agree with Cathy, but not so much with this review...

Stitch:the Hand

i completely agree irulan....i was so shocked to read that about the emotion factor....i think they carry immense emotion in their work as a whole and in this collection. i mean the moody combinations of material,textures....they must have been getting that from somewhere.

19-02-2009
V.I.P.

"Indeed you wonder if they are bored or intimidated by the actual mechanics of design — cutting, setting a sleeve — and that what their clothes express isn’t technical virtuosity but inarticulateness." - extremely well said. If they make this kind of clothes for one season, that's one thing. Making clothes without any change on the structure or even the silhouette is another. I'm bored and even a little annoyed.

19-02-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
i completely agree irulan....i was so shocked to read that about the emotion factor....i think they carry immense emotion in their work as a whole and in this collection. i mean the moody combinations of material,textures....they must have been getting that from somewhere.
It's interesting that she never considers the possibility that others are right and that she simply isn't connecting with the emotion ...

19-02-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
^if it ain't broke don't fix it,indeed. but i disagree this isn't fresh though. to me this show is proving a more evolved direction for them. of course they haven't lost that esoteric spirit in the previous collections but i think they're really refining the knitting skills here and utilising more materials in their textiles. and the silhouette somehow looks stronger as well.
Yes, the knits are by far my favorite part. I'd love to have a skirt ...

19-02-2009
tfs star

The pieces look so crazy and futuristic in a good way I like it

19-02-2009
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
It's interesting that she never considers the possibility that others are right and that she simply isn't connecting with the emotion ...
i know. i usually adore cathy's writing and i tend to agree with her for the most part. but that is by far the most outlandish thing i've seen her write....ever.

and the equation she made with robots....all i can say to that is...even cylons can have feelings

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, f or w, rodarte, york