How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-02-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
this is such garbage; when will people finally see that?
Perhaps when you see that people are allowed to think as they wish and your opinion is just that, an opinion, and not fact?

18-02-2010
Wanderlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
"girls" in general can't win on this forum. I've noticed people are quick to declare the fantasies of male designers as genius but rarely do so for women.

Alber Elbaz can put out the same shiny asymmetrical dresses two seasons in a row and be elevated to godlike status while the Mulleavy sisters go from apocalyptic to ethereal in the span of one season and are decried for not evolving.
I don't agree with what you said at all . The females actually receive less criticism than male designers to be honest so it's really nothing sexist to it .

It's simply that the idea of this collection is beautiful, but the execution of it is not . The techniques are not well executed and obviously their references seem to overtake their collections frequently . I did say a few pages back how it was nice that they evolved from one repetitive silhouette and experimented with involving different cuts into one collection, but it's still not good .

What they need to learn is to edit . Editing is the key to refinement . There's nothing refined about these clothes no matter how much pretty embellishments or haute couture techniques they employ . When they learn to edit and grasp their techniques better while still exploring, then I think people will start to really understand and appreciate Rodarte .

To put it simply : When something is good, it's good and you like it . When it's bad, it's bad and you don't .

18-02-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
That's not necessarily my opinion, I'm just saying that she's an example of a (female) designer who cannot do wrong in the critics eyes, and much of tfs-ers eyes too (as a response to the poster who said that women are ALWAYS criticised).
That is not what I said. I said that rarely are the fantasies of women designers given the label of "genius" relative to their male counterparts and I stand by it. Everyone threw out Phoebe Philo and Prada but the list of male designers who get the benefit of the doubt and the editorial fawning is much lengthier. I don’t necessarily think it’s a case that those male designers don’t deserve praise but more so that the women don't get enough credit for their vision.

Last edited by loladonna; 18-02-2010 at 01:47 PM.
18-02-2010
V.I.P.

this is soooo good!!!! i couldn't stop looking at the pics. and the shoes are so insane!!

GORGEOUS!!!!

18-02-2010
don't look down

It's people's reactions to each Rodarte collection that I find fascinating, rather than the actual clothing.

fashion insider

Same old Etsy bits of this scarf fabric and bits of that decorative bit from the haberdasher's "artistically" twisted and tacked on mannequin form based on a mood-board-with-some-esoteric-pseudo-romantic-poetry-snapshots themed collection. And everyone goes "GENIUS!" What a surprise. Rinse and repeat ad nausea for 10 more seasons.

And um... apologies in advance to any great Etsy artisans out there!

Last edited by Zazie; 18-02-2010 at 03:34 PM.
18-02-2010
Alluring

As much as I'm not a Rodarte fan and don't really get their phenomenon, it's nice to see them moving on, slowly, but still. I would like them to stop the crisscross draping for some time, it may be their trademark but it's so tiring to see it literally every season.

I like the inspiration and the story behind this collection, though, plus adore the white dresses in the finale. They're so ethereal, beautiful.

18-02-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat View Post
These clothes lack real craft and technique and are being communicated as couture-like, whereas (to me) they actually come across as pretty decorative (unpurposeful) deconstruction. The girls don't live up to their hype whereas someone like Sophia Kokosalaki - a designer who after so many years of proving her craft and integrity of vision - is still largely unappreciated by the press... Why is that? I can only guess that it has to do with the fact that Rodarte's style sticks out in New York and is eing supported by the right people. It certainly has nothing to do though with a particular gift that other designers are lacking (even in New York).
first, take issue with the fashion industry's treatement of sophia kokosalaki NOT rodarte. second, people correlate these clothes with the couture NOT because of the specific techniques employed but because of the LEVEL of workmanship and the obvious handiwork these designers put into these garments. it's not LIKE these clothes are done by hand -- but actually sewed in some factory somewhere -- they ARE done by hand and people can *FEEL* that coming through in the clothes. it's a labor of love. that's what communicates through these clothes and connects to the women who buy them.

scenester

mikeijames, Wow, i didnt know who that was before u told me. Actually i love her stuff. Pretty nice. And I definitely agree with you that she needs a lot more credit as there is the involvement of high level of workmanship and the use of technologies. Now I cant wait to see her Fall collection. lol thanx.

18-02-2010
God Save McQueen

I am a little fed up with them. At first i loved this collection, thought it was beautiful, but the more i looked at it, the more i felt like i have seen it all before. They are very one note. the one note is beautiful, but they are kinda stuck. I can't wait for them to move on, but right now, i feel like i can go to the fabric store, buy some random clothes, wrap myself up like a mummy, and look like this collection.

19-02-2010
backstage pass

Let's face it, they had me at light-up shoes. Despite the provocative colour palette, I was intimidated upon first glance. But when you get down to the nitty-gritty with detail shots and hi-res images, you can see a lot of great ideas competing for attention. In some cases the excess works, like the final dresses, while others practically jarred me out of my seat. I think overall I like what's been done, but perhaps they could have held back in instances where they clearly said "more, more, more." I guess they got what they were going for with the whole hazy, haunted, sleeping-or-waking motif. I immediately thought of Peter Pan, this is totally what the Lost Girls would wear.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
I am a little fed up with them. At first i loved this collection, thought it was beautiful, but the more i looked at it, the more i felt like i have seen it all before. They are very one note. the one note is beautiful, but they are kinda stuck....
yeah, they've been doing this ribbon embellishing shift dress idea for several seasons, and the super volume skirt thing for several seasons, and the cobweb sweater thing for several seasons, and the destroyed leather thing for several seasons, and the over the knee boot thing for several seasons, and the cut out dress/legging thing for several seasons. my point: they've hit a lot of notes over the years. can you point to one collection of there's where they've cut a skirt like this? or sewed a pant like this? if you don't like it: just say it. but let's not say they're "one note" when clearly they aren't.

style.com

front row

This thread is so fun to read.

People will always love or hate Rodarte. But fashion, like art, is best when it causes the viewers to open a discussion about it.

I love it, it's not about the wearablity, but about the storyline that the collection tells and the whole aesthetic about their designs. Can't explain it, but I'm on the "Love Rodarte" team.

Last edited by stars&satellites; 20-02-2010 at 11:45 AM.
20-02-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
first, take issue with the fashion industry's treatement of sophia kokosalaki NOT rodarte. second, people correlate these clothes with the couture NOT because of the specific techniques employed but because of the LEVEL of workmanship and the obvious handiwork these designers put into these garments. it's not LIKE these clothes are done by hand -- but actually sewed in some factory somewhere -- they ARE done by hand and people can *FEEL* that coming through in the clothes. it's a labor of love. that's what communicates through these clothes and connects to the women who buy them.
In that case, they are pretty good craftsmen, but not solid designers. Kokosalaki is at a totally different level.

20-02-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilhelmF View Post
I think what hurts the most to people who don't like Rodarte's aesthetic is the wearability, technique and price-tag factor to their clothes. These girls are beyond that and that's why they caught people's attention in the already conventional American fashion scene. They are very capable of doing gorgeous gowns like Natalie Portman's dress in the 2009 Oscars, but they choose not to do the safe way and show us every season a journey to this fantasy world they have created. Every show, while might not have the best techniques of construction but at the same time we have to remember that most of this clothes are handmade, are really inmerse in this emotional atmosphere that really sets them apart from other designers.

It's just not another commercial showcase of what you should wear next season, that might be the example of Herve Leger. It's beyond that. Very few people are capable of creating a fashion show. One perfect example of this is Alexander McQueen, though he added couture-like techniques, but this girls are growing and what they lack of construction, they have it in emotional creativity and that's why they are like a rush of fresh air in the New York scene.
The lack of construction says it all. How could one be called a "designer" without the ability of providing solid construction? Show me a solid jacket... it's simple eh? why don't they make one?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1011, f or w, rodarte, york