How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-02-2010
backstage pass

I love it.....They keep the rodarte patchwork, with the new stuffs. Not bad....They presentation is lovely as always..But I need to see the really garments before I said anything. I always love their collection of NY fashion week. It's something different, that keep the balance and give me some excitment . Cool

16-02-2010
V.I.P.

As much as I appreciate what they do, and as much as I love the craftsmanship that goes into making this pieces, there comes a time where you have to question their viability as designers. How are they going to exist on $20,000 dresses and $8,000 tops?

Personally, I'd like to see them tackle something a little different. I think they have spent enough seasons developing their aesthetic and everyone knows what they stand for as a brand, no?

Their first few collections were brilliant because they combined their own aesthetic (the whimsical, layered etc) with some structure and tailoring, ie pants, sharp jackets. It was the perfect fusion of artistry and wearability. This collection is a little too self-indulgent for me; they are not challenging themselves with this. It's territory they have explored before.

16-02-2010
V.I.P.

The shoes were by Nicholas Kirkwood again

gettyimages.com/

16-02-2010
V.I.P.

I used to love Rodarte and what they did, and truly think they made the most beautiful pieces of clothing, but to me, this collection, the last, were devoid of that beauty I fell in love with originally.

I still believe they can do amazing things, it's just a shame that I don't feel I'm seeing it as much as I used to. There are some nice pieces in there, but none take my breath away like their earlier pieces did.

16-02-2010
V.I.P.

The white dresses would be PERFECT for weddings.

But satisfaction brought it back
16-02-2010
backstage pass

Not their best but I definitely liked the use of florals

16-02-2010
Looking Up

Can someone please post the full collection?

16-02-2010
barcode

I don't want to say I hate this, because it's only the initial impression and who knows if it'll grow on me or not, but right now having just watched the video, I'm not impressed. In the past I think they've done amazingly beautiful things with textures and patchworking, but I can't say that about this.

The ideas as well seem completely muddled, there's no clear mood to this, and the whole presentation with the music, the odd layers, the set, and those hacked up John Galliano bias cut floral pieces was just...bizarre. Not in a good way either.

16-02-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
The white dresses would be PERFECT for weddings.
Yeah, I said that on the other thread that got deleted. I want to get married in one of them.

And the light-up shoes. It's a shame I never caught that when I was watching the live stream. Looks like it'll earn a spot in shoe history!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
As much as I appreciate what they do, and as much as I love the craftsmanship that goes into making this pieces, there comes a time where you have to question their viability as designers. How are they going to exist on $20,000 dresses and $8,000 tops?

Personally, I'd like to see them tackle something a little different. I think they have spent enough seasons developing their aesthetic and everyone knows what they stand for as a brand, no?

Their first few collections were brilliant because they combined their own aesthetic (the whimsical, layered etc) with some structure and tailoring, ie pants, sharp jackets. It was the perfect fusion of artistry and wearability. This collection is a little too self-indulgent for me; they are not challenging themselves with this. It's territory they have explored before.
I agree with everything you've said whole heartedly. But I guess their Target collab will keep the brand afloat for a bit longer... I can't see them having much of a future if they continue to turn out the same rag-tag dresses every single season which "sell" (I put it in quotes because I've never seen/noticed Rodarte in retail) for exorbitant prices.

Rodarte is seriously becoming such an eyesore for Fashion Week and for fashion magazines.

16-02-2010
etre soi-meme

great shoes <3

16-02-2010
trendsetter

I really hate those gloves on karlie kloss...part lumber jack part serial killer. I love Rodarte but for the most part this collection is just not my cup of tea....

less is more

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycombchild View Post
I used to love Rodarte and what they did, and truly think they made the most beautiful pieces of clothing, but to me, this collection, the last, were devoid of that beauty I fell in love with originally.

I still believe they can do amazing things, it's just a shame that I don't feel I'm seeing it as much as I used to. There are some nice pieces in there, but none take my breath away like their earlier pieces did.
I completely agree. I'm trying to find something to really praise in this and the only thing I can think of is Kirkwood's shoes and to a lesser extent, some of the final white dresses. I feel like they really peaked at fw08 and ss09, which still make me misty-eyed. This collection is a real disappointment to me. Some of it is just plain ugly.

16-02-2010
trendsetter

Are there any pictures of just the setup of the dripping candles at the beginning of the runway?

scenester

don't get me wrong. I love Rodarte.. but this collection is just plain awful. The florals and crochet (idk?) work is VERY much like searching through my grandma's attic, in a bad way. The only thing I can get behind are those gorgeous ethereal dresses at the end. PLEASE do better next season.. my hope for fashion depends on it aha.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1011, f or w, rodarte, york