How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-02-2010
V.I.P.

What is interesting about Rodarte as a design team, is that they take inspiration from American culture and American sub-culture and fuse it with their sense of whimsy. They are one of the few design teams that have a genuine interest in American culture both past and present.

I love how they interpreted the idea of Mexico; the floral patterns, the whiteness, the sense of religion, etc. I just wish they would have developed it more extensively and at least created a handful of genuinely wearable pieces.

I immediately thought of religion when I saw this collection. I did some research and I found some imagery associated with the Mexican holiday Los Dias de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead). The florals, the candles, also the 'brides' are all part of a the imagery associated with this Mexican religious holiday. It's very interesting that they would lift their inspiration from this, don't you think?

vpa.csumb.edu/
, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CemetarioAlmoloyaRio1995.jpg/

16-02-2010
fashion insider

Rodarte FW1011 (HQ)

style.it

16-02-2010
fashion insider

style.it

16-02-2010
fashion insider

style.it

16-02-2010
trendsetter

I can NOT wait for detailed pics
I died during this show seriously... and the music and the presentation and the wedding dresses ugh... well w/e white dresses which i've decided to make my wedding dresses lol

LOVED IT ALL!!!

V.I.P.

This is so light, feminine, and pretty. It's not blowing me as the spring/summer collection but this is just such a jolt of joy considering how many dark colored collections i've seen so far throughout the season so far.

V.I.P.

I have to say I personally love this. The individual pieces and the white dresses are outstanding. May I mention the shoes? Freakin amazing.

16-02-2010
lost in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
What is interesting about Rodarte as a design team, is that they take inspiration from American culture and American sub-culture and fuse it with their sense of whimsy. They are one of the few design teams that have a genuine interest in American culture both past and present.

I love how they interpreted the idea of Mexico; the floral patterns, the whiteness, the sense of religion, etc. I just wish they would have developed it more extensively and at least created a handful of genuinely wearable pieces.

I immediately thought of religion when I saw this collection. I did some research and I found some imagery associated with the Mexican holiday Los Dias de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead). The florals, the candles, also the 'brides' are all part of a the imagery associated with this Mexican religious holiday. It's very interesting that they would lift their inspiration from this, don't you think?
These were also my thoughts when I watched the collection. It all became clear when the last gowns appear. There was definitely a Mexican/Latinamerican religious culture reference and to "Las Muertas de Juarez" (Dead Women of Juarez). They all seem like ghosts and the knitwear seemed to me a reference to that event where young poor women were killed.

I loved the sense of spiritualism and calm during the show. Spirits are also a big part of this collection and they are very present in Latinamerican cultures. The last gowns remind me to "La Llorona" (The Crying Woman) which is a spirit of a woman who lost her child and haunts it with her cry. She's mostly recreated with white robes.

16-02-2010
V.I.P.

The music is perfect.

Thank you helmut.newton for talking about the theme behind this collection. Rodarte always has the most unique and out-of-the-box inspirations.

The white dresses are some of the most ethereal creations I've ever seen. If you were to put the soul of a ghost into a dress, those would be what you'd end up with.

But satisfaction brought it back

Last edited by eternitygoddess; 16-02-2010 at 11:20 PM.
17-02-2010
blink once. blink twice.

I love this collection so much. It's fantasy to me.

rising star

oh I feel they just find a "color of the collection" and put it on all the clothes they did ,the styles and cuttings and feelings are all the same!
cliche for Rodarte but still gorgeous collection

no tom ford, no thanks.

these rodarte girls simply can't win in this forum. over the past four seasons, we've seen posters in this forum find as many different reasons to dislike their collections even as their indivudual criticisms get disproved. first, it's that they do the same thing all the time. however, except to those who know NOTHING about fashion, one can see how they've changed and evolved over the seasons. second, we have so many argue that their clothes don't make women beautiful. this year, we've watched as women as diverse as reese witherspoon to michelle obama absolutely RADIATE in garments by rodarte. finally, we've watched as many have cricitized this label as some rarefied -- and yes, expensive -- experimentation that has nothing to do with dressing real women on the street. this collection more than any other goes to put that criticism to rest.

this collection actually contains pieces that could easily fold themselves into the modern wardrobe of the fashionable woman living in any city. whether it's those gorgeous pants or astounding skirts -- that could pair themselves with white blouse and missoni coat for day or a balenciaga leather tank and opened toed boots for night -- to that great outerwear which left behind much of the edge we've seen in collections past. the sunset/"magic hour" palette of this collection strikes me as the most autumnal and utterly beautiful we've seen so far. when one looks at collections like this, it really puts other labels in their league to shame: can one honestly look at a garment by zac posen and say that this much thought, and workmanship, and time has gone into each one?

style.com

fashion elite

I loved this collection, no is boring

fashion icon

i like this but im not blown away...

V.I.P.

I hope Tilda Swinton wears one of the wedding dresses.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1011, f or w, rodarte, york