How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
these rodarte girls simply can't win in this forum.
"girls" in general can't win on this forum. I've noticed people are quick to declare the fantasies of male designers as genius but rarely do so for women.

Alber Elbaz can put out the same shiny asymmetrical dresses two seasons in a row and be elevated to godlike status while the Mulleavy sisters go from apocalyptic to ethereal in the span of one season and are decried for not evolving.

Last edited by loladonna; 17-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.

17-02-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post

Alber Elbaz can put out the same shiny asymmetrical dresses two seasons in a row and be elevated to godlike status while the Mulleavy sisters go from apocalyptic to ethereal in the span of one season and are decried for not evolving.

Very well said.

17-02-2010
V.I.P.

I'm really not sure it has anything to do with the designers sex to be perfectly honest. There's just as must distaste at male designers too.

17-02-2010
she's got the look

i think i'll never get their appeal/hype. some pieces look great individually.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
The white dresses are some of the most ethereal creations I've ever seen. If you were to put the soul of a ghost into a dress, those would be what you'd end up with.
Very well said - karma to you!

And I can't get over those shoes!

Last edited by stateofbliss; 17-02-2010 at 06:45 PM.
17-02-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
"girls" in general can't win on this forum. I've noticed people are quick to declare the fantasies of male designers as genius but rarely do so for women.

LOL, oic, so now everyone who doesn't like Rodarte is sexist.

I agree Elbaz is overrated, for that reason you just stated, his last more than two collections have been basically a variation of the same idea. But, sexism, really?

And just because Rodarte did everything in black last season and everything in white this season doesn't really make them versatile. That's like saying Herve Leger should be praised because he used thinner bondage in his latest collection. I'm personally just tired of Rodarte's school project collections where the extent of their 'design' is to put together as many different pieces of fabric as possible. It was somewhat interesting the first time they sent it out, less so after five season.

V.I.P.

Quote:

I'm not sure if this argument is valid.

I've noticed male designers get just as slammed. I mean Alexander Wang gets ripped regularly (justifiably imo), Zac Posen, the Valentino duo for example.

Women designers are definitely lauded, Phoebe Philo comes to mind as someone who can do no wrong. Muccia Prada reigns supreme.

And who do you think is making this criticism? Largely women (I'm sure there are more women than men on this forum). So imo accusations of sexism is quite ludicrous.

I'm not 100% sure of changing the "theme" while retaining the basic structure of the dresses (ie. tacking on bits and bobs, draping this or that upon a basic dress shape) is considered real evolution.

Anyway, despite acknowledging that Rodarte barely changes, I still appreciate (and enjoy) it for its beautiful dresses.

rising star

I just think that some of the fabrics should not be put together, at least not in these ways.

I cannot agree more,MyNameIs.
Their patchwork-magic cannot last more than 2 seasons for me. They are not the first to use patchwork in fashion but only the first to use patchwork in every piece in one collection. How far could they go with this style?

17-02-2010
& b

this is such garbage; when will people finally see that?

-

umm loladonna, I dont care if an alien or the worlds smartest transgender, etc, made this collection, it's still nasty.

17-02-2010
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrot View Post
I'm not sure if this argument is valid.

Women designers are definitely lauded, Phoebe Philo comes to mind as someone who can do no wrong. Muccia Prada reigns supreme.

Anyway, despite acknowledging that Rodarte barely changes, I still appreciate (and enjoy) it for its beautiful dresses.

HAH. Yeah right. Prada is just as terrible as this every season

18-02-2010
scenester

Im a BIG fan of Rodarte but this season and the previous one left me a bit disappointed though because I expected something as amazing as the period from Spring 08 - Fall 09. But to me, I think this collection is better than the one from last season cuz at least i like couple of items i see on the runway. The last dress was pretty nice though.

And about the sexism in fashion, I dont think it exists. If a designer is doing a job at surprising ppl with his collections from season to season, he or she deserves some credit for being innovative. Pheobe Philo was a great example as ponytrot has mentioned above. Prada last season was pretty well done with apparelss, not so much accessories though. Dont forget Ms. Carolina Herrera. What about Rei Kawakubo, the one who invented the new cut? And Donatella? And one of my VERY favorites Ann Demeulemeester? It just happens that we have a lot of talented male designers.

18-02-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverandnone View Post
HAH. Yeah right. Prada is just as terrible as this every season
You misunderstand me,

That's not necessarily my opinion, I'm just saying that she's an example of a (female) designer who cannot do wrong in the critics eyes, and much of tfs-ers eyes too (as a response to the poster who said that women are ALWAYS criticised).

tfs star

These clothes lack real craft and technique and are being communicated as couture-like, whereas (to me) they actually come across as pretty decorative (unpurposeful) deconstruction. The girls don't live up to their hype whereas someone like Sophia Kokosalaki - a designer who after so many years of proving her craft and integrity of vision - is still largely unappreciated by the press... Why is that? I can only guess that it has to do with the fact that Rodarte's style sticks out in New York and is eing supported by the right people. It certainly has nothing to do though with a particular gift that other designers are lacking (even in New York).

18-02-2010
lost in thought

I think what hurts the most to people who don't like Rodarte's aesthetic is the wearability, technique and price-tag factor to their clothes. These girls are beyond that and that's why they caught people's attention in the already conventional American fashion scene. They are very capable of doing gorgeous gowns like Natalie Portman's dress in the 2009 Oscars, but they choose not to do the safe way and show us every season a journey to this fantasy world they have created. Every show, while might not have the best techniques of construction but at the same time we have to remember that most of this clothes are handmade, are really inmerse in this emotional atmosphere that really sets them apart from other designers.

It's just not another commercial showcase of what you should wear next season, that might be the example of Herve Leger. It's beyond that. Very few people are capable of creating a fashion show. One perfect example of this is Alexander McQueen, though he added couture-like techniques, but this girls are growing and what they lack of construction, they have it in emotional creativity and that's why they are like a rush of fresh air in the New York scene.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1011, f or w, rodarte, york