How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-02-2013
backstage pass

my love of Rodarte has come to the end. I wish they take a look back at their collections during the heyday. Definitely this collection is on a road down the hill.

12-02-2013
Stitch:the Hand

i honestly did not mean for that quip about tara subkoff to sound as insulting. i just mean for somebody who is also untrained she has actually done a better job at evolving and being able to execute her ideas without looking horribly sloppy like this. and tara is very much an indie designer who floats under the radar unlike rodarte who always put on big productions and generate press and attendance,so i have to wonder now will the priorities start to shift? with their moments in the sun,being vogue "pets" become passe?

12-02-2013
backstage pass

Ugh I don't like this at all. The most interesting thing to me is the lights in the cement blocks.

12-02-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaid View Post
oh. my. god. it's like a dominatrix, a hippie, and a grandma dropped acid and then collaborated on a high fashion collection.
exactly.

12-02-2013
tfs star

Nicole Phelps, style.com

Quote:
Back home to Santa Cruz," Laura Mulleavy said after the Rodarte show this afternoon. And this from her sister Kate: "We always knew we'd do a collection about where we grew up." In a sense, every show that the Rodarte girls have put on has been personal. They'll probably still be DIY-ing in their bedroom when they're old and gray.

Today's set, Laura explained, was a riff on Santa Cruz's boardwalk, the circular pathway the models walked a flat facsimile of its famous Giant Dipper roller coaster. But the clothes are more a product of the Mulleavys' imaginations and their fond memories of their younger days than anything you'll see walking around the California beach town.

Where you come down on the collection will have a lot to do with how nostalgic you are for your own youth—that and your tolerance for fashions of the late eighties. The era happens to be one of this reporter's sweet spots, which made the tie-dye gowns with the strange double-faced foam shoulder straps and bibs that arrived in the middle of the show pretty irresistible. The best thing about the collection, they were actually silk prints—elevated, not ersatz, DIY.

Acid-wash silk was a harder sell, and the crystals studding the striped alpaca sweater of a sweater-skirt combo were more crafty than couture. That look triggered some nostalgia of its own for a spiderwebby crochet sweater dress from Fall 2008 that's included in the Met's upcoming punk exhibition. Since that memorable collection, the Mulleavys have faced all sorts of pressures to commercialize, and resisted most of them. Bare hip bones jutting between bodysuits and low-slung pants erred on the indulgent side, even if the jackets they came with had a tough, boxy cool. You start to worry that they're designing themselves into a corner.

13-02-2013
V.I.P.

^ Spot on, they had one good season. 5 years ago.

13-02-2013
trendsetter

This is just awful. They've gone from one the most promising brands, to the worse show of the season, thus far.

13-02-2013
backstage pass

i don't mind a DIY aesthetic but the way they approach it feels very etsy

13-02-2013
rising star

You know it's bad when Phelps writes something that strong in her last line.

I just can't get over the final slew of those mottled gray looks. Disappointing.

13-02-2013
tfs star

What! that's one awkward collection!

13-02-2013
V.I.P.

I had not seen this until today. Wish I hadn't.

Honestly, all the tie-dye pieces make me want to the first couple of pieces were alright, but then it just got progressively worse and worse. What happened? This is not what I envision when I think of Santa Cruz

13-02-2013
V.I.P.

Rodarte F/W 2013

youtube.com/style

14-02-2013
fashion insider

Creative and lots of variation in the collection - I like + I LOOOOOVE all the shoes!

14-02-2013
V.I.P.

The only looks I remotely like are the dresses with the detailed angel wings. Other than that this is such a disappointment. The dresses at the end were particularly a nightmare.

15-02-2013
scenester

i miss the spiderweb and spiky heels era...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, f or w, rodarte, york