Rodarte S/S 09 New York - Page 12 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
11-09-2008
vertebrae by vertebrae

I don't think Balenciaga is the most accurate of comparisons. I agree with Spike... I am glad to see them sticking to their guns, refining their signature characteristics and not trend-hopping like so many other designers do.

12-09-2008
backstage pass

I'm especially loving the creative swirls of colours on the longer dresses, the colours clash but in a tasteful and refreshing way. I also like the shapes and cuts of the dresses as its daring and makes the eye focus on different aspects of each piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
I personally love that they're refining different looks and pieces. They're clearly about evolution rather than revolution, and I think that's great.

I'll never understand why designers are expected to ricochet from one thing to another on a season to season basis. Great that there are designers who can do that and still maintain consistency in their work, but it's not a requirement. It was only last spring that they even started with these watercolor handpainted transparencies, why is it a crime to keep working on that? It's not fair to say it looks like a mashup of past Rodarte collections because this is Rodarte we're talking about. They're developing a look and signature.
I'm hi-fiving Spike for this post, because its nice to see that someone also believes that its ok to take slow steps and define a signature look, instead of trying to churn out a new look every time a collection is presented. Sticking to a particular style does not mean that the collection is going to be 'a massive let down' or that serious scepticism must be immediately initated in regards to whether they can be successful. Sure, if people see the same style over and over again after it has been firmly established, then you can complain that new ideas aren't being seen, but this is great for Rodarte! I think the uses of different materials such as sequins and leather mixed to create pieces is creative, couple them with those shoes that are a serious force to be reckoned, this makes for fabulous pieces!

12-09-2008
trendsetter

gorgeous!! beautiful colors!

12-09-2008
V.I.P.

hm, this isn't that interesting actually, some outfits are a bit heavy. I like the skeleton-tops and the "death"-theme.

12-09-2008
front row

Why do people complain about wearability? Isn't NY Fashion Week boring enough as it is?

12-09-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
^ Neither do I, and people are throwing that name around since the day the show was posted and I feel like I'm looking at something entirely different.

The skirts have a passing resemblance to last season's Balenciaga stiff wrap skirts, but it's not as if Balenciaga was the first or will be the last to use that skirt design.

Other than that I fail to see what's Balenciaga about any of this.
i think that it's largely due to the material, proportion, silhouette etc.
i still have a problem with this collection. huge problem. It's beautiful and wearalbe IMHO, but i think that the only new thing they did was to add more accessories. It looks really lazy to me. I mean, U2 doesn't record Sunday Bloody Sunday in every album

12-09-2008
V.I.P.

Hq

FWD

12-09-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
i think that it's largely due to the material, proportion, silhouette etc.
i still have a problem with this collection. huge problem. It's beautiful and wearalbe IMHO, but i think that the only new thing they did was to add more accessories. It looks really lazy to me. I mean, U2 doesn't record Sunday Bloody Sunday in every album
but they record songs that sound just like it...
theyre slowly evolving.
its not lazy at all, in fact its the complete opposite. it took alot of effort to edit last years collection down to something more refined and relate able

V.I.P.

The ideas that go behind their creations are stunning. They truly inhibit a world of their own.

But satisfaction brought it back
12-09-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

I also really don't get the Balenciaga comments. The textiles are totally different. In fact, this collection, as someone else said, is one that you appreciate more and more over time. I find myself constantly checking in this fashion week thread, where as the others, once I've seen them, I'm pretty much done. It's truly three dimensional work. When I see the pictures up close, I get a better understanding and even more so from the back. The long gowns, the tulle/silk/whatever is literally like gossamer, kind of reminds me of a spiderweb in terms of texture (though not in look). The fine netting they seem to construct the dresses on (to give the look that it's held up by itself) is amazing. I don't think I've ever seen anything as fine a gauge as that, from even a couple feet away you can barely tell there is anything there. The subtle color coming over the shoulder on one of the dresses, but just barely. Again, I don't see Balenciaga in terms of looks (maybe the pants, which I don't like anyway, so fair enough) or textiles. Balenciaga is all hard hard hard and this is very much on the soft.

13-09-2008
boo

catwalking

13-09-2008
boo

catwalking

13-09-2008
V.I.P.

Love it. Esp the way they worked in the chains into the fabric and those last 3 gowns! The clothes look amazing in motion.

vertebrae by vertebrae

Those shoes are deadly!

13-09-2008
barcode

The shoes!!!

Deadly is definitely the right word, and what a way to go.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
09, rodarte, s or s, york