How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-09-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuTTyRoCK112 View Post
I must say that they lose me with their leather jackets. The spread collar is a bit hip-hop honey for me and not as interesting as a Rodarte jacket could potentially be.
this too is my only complaint. everything else is extremely cool... out of some kind of fantasy.

09-09-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
Old Rodarte AND old Balenciaga...
My thoughts exactly.
Although I like the execution. Well done.:p

09-09-2008
Fat Karl

I was there!!! I saw the show!!!! It was...nothing short of magnificent. Their work is really magical.

The clothes are stunning in person...they're really well constructed and the details are incredible but never feel like detail for the sake of detailing...it feels so natural and spontaneous.

The set was brilliant and the music was stunning...really created a perfect mood.

I got there about half an hour early to get a good standing room only spot (the show started at noon) and I was right in the of the standing room area (there was only one area for that) and it was on the side of the ramp that goes through the broken wall. It was really funny because literally as the Bureau Betak guy said "please take your seats the show will start in one minute," a photographer stepped inbetween the flourescent lights and the wall and knocked the light off and some tech guys ran to fix it...all the photographers jokingly heckled the guy who knocked the light off!

After the show, my friend and I went backstage and I said hello to Laura...they're both really shy...it's adorable. Then we went into the dressing room. I got some photos of the polaroid board...I'll upload them when I get back from NY.

Natalie Portman and Elijah Wood were there. DVF, too. Also, it was so surprising to me, too...well, Anna and Bee of course just saunter right in...the staff girl lets them right through the rope inbetween the standing room line and the photographers line. Then, just a few minutes later, Franca Sozzani comes (and she looking stunning...she was wearing a slate grey, voluminous skirted trench (it was raining), raw edged lapels...she looked incredibly chic), anyway, Franca comes up to the same staff girl, shows her her invite and the girl says, "oh, can you go to the other door, that's the door for seating." I was thinking...hello mam, this is Franca Sozzani...editor of Italian Vogue, which is much better than Anna's, why didn't you open the rope for her?!?!?...just a little tidbit from the show.

It was definitely an experience I will never forget...it was sublime.

V.I.P.

^^^ wow! LUCKY!

09-09-2008
front row

^^ Omg Wow!!! That's So Awsome!

09-09-2008
backstage pass

OMG, such an envy dior couture!

Anyway, back to the collection, it's definitely similar to the last season, but the leathers are a surprising touch. More range of colors too!

Margiela's Muse

Happy for you, dior. You got in! ;D
I can only imagine how even more intense these garments are in person, and in the heightened atmosphere of the catwalk setting. And knowing Rodarte's musical leanings, I bet they played some really spooky 80's post-punk again or something like the new Portishead. Another insanely good collection. And they have definitive look now, but you can tell they are expanding their vision to incorporate more wearable looks.

09-09-2008
rising star

Great construction and colors. It resembles a little bit FW0809 Balenciaga with all those "twists" but Rodarte pushed it into a punkier version which was nice to watch. I didn't like the leggings though, they were very distracting and the footwear is a little overproduced in my opinion... but i'm starting to believe that overdoing is Rodarte's signature, i'm not saying this with contemptuous intentions, on the contrary, i say this with quite fascination because they don't end up looking cheap or "fake rich".

09-09-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

Yeah I mean the intricacies in their work is brilliant, and I agree fashion from season to season should be about evolution not revolution, though maybe taken as a whole it should be about revolution. Regardless, I"m actually less keen overall on this than past f/w. The spiderweb-yness of last season was stunning. The idea of the blood red color kind of flowing out of the center of the dress was also stunning. This is kind of like the quiet after the storm. The phoenix rising from the horror show of the night before. That one long dress even kind of looks like a black whooping crane (but maybe this is just my craziness). Still beautiful and completely original

09-09-2008
barcode

^ I love your metaphors

You should take over from Sarah Mower at Style.

09-09-2008
oh! darling

I love unexpected piecing together by these girls.

There's always something distorted about how the dresses come together.

front row

lol can i just stop for a second and comment on HOW MUCH DIVERSITY IS ON THIS RUNWAY! glad to finally see it.

09-09-2008
a hymn to darkness

I love that they are developing a signature...
Gorgeous colors...
The different mixture of adverse textures...
I fail to see what is repetitive of Balenciaga-ish about any of this...
It is very much Rodarte...
Now, I'm excited to see what they'll do NEXT season..

windowshopping

I loved it all! The Mulleavy sisters are just brilliant. The atmostphere was so ethereal and the music was KILLER! I must have the whole track, lol. Rodarte is the best

10-09-2008
V.I.P.

I see the Balenciaga influences with the the gowns, not so much the shape but the big colour fabrics being woven into together. Dior did it too, doesn't matter. Still the best collection they have. There's this vulnerability and thinness with the fishnet stuff they were doing and thank GOD they got rid of that. Mostly.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
09, rodarte, s or s, york