How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-09-2009
backstage pass

Soon I will see Homer Simpsom coming out through all that smoke from the Nuclear Plant of Rodarte Springfield ... :p

16-09-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by educo View Post
the issue i have with this is that it's a collection of laziness. Unfinished seams, sub par details, and the same silhouettes.
Laziness? have you seem it in detail? the textile research? do you know how long would take to technically build/make those dresses?

you may not like the esthetics, thats totally comprehensible, call it lazy is naive .

backstage pass

Details

vogue.co.uk

16-09-2009
backstage pass

same

16-09-2009
backstage pass

same

16-09-2009
backstage pass

same

16-09-2009
backstage pass

same

16-09-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

rodarte makes new york fashion week relevant. seriously, the glory of new york fashion week remains that true talent rises to the top so quickly and obviously where it might get lost in a milan or paris. also, it's houses like rodarte, proenza schouler, and alexander wang that show us that there's a tried-and-true american perspective on fashion. these younger designers remain so true to their design aesthetics yet shock and surprise us each season with experimental designs that push the envelope of wearability and fashionability.

in this show, the genius came in the handiwork of those fabrics which otherwise may have looked inexpensive and undesirable. yet, even with the introduction of very un-rodarte fabrics, they managed to create a collection that still has their unmistakable signature.

with a collection this heady and conceptual, one wonders how they will temper their vision to sell it to the masses at an outlet like target.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Laziness? have you seem it in detail? the textile research? do you know how long would take to technically build/make those dresses?

you may not like the esthetics, thats totally comprehensible, call it lazy is naive .
I stand by my statement. It's lazy. And it has nothing to do with the hours that go into the garments. How many different renditions of patchwork can you do before it's time to move on?? i don't care if it's a signature, don't make an ENTIRE collection out of it and ignore making intelligent design decisions. To me, this is the equivalent of a no talent singer, performing with 100 back up dancers..it's becoming all smoke and mirrors. If you strip all that extra stuff, you're left with NOTHING. Literally. Is that intelligent design to you? You're not even left with even an ESSENCE of what the designer is all about, no silhouette, NOTHING. There is no real depth, just a false suggestion due to the "dazzling" array of fabrics and "details"...but where is the BODY, the SOUL? There are some designer pieces where you can strip the decoration and still get what the designer is about...i don't get that here, and I'm not alone.

The only thing done well in this collection are the shoes..they encompass more to me than the entire collection.

TWITTER:

Last edited by educo; 17-09-2009 at 12:45 AM.
17-09-2009
backstage pass

The use of leather is what sets this collection apart for me (the looks on Liu, Iselin, and Freja are just bad-***). And the closing looks pretty much make my mouth water.

17-09-2009
windowshopping

not initially excited about this collection.
that said. rodarte's collections continue to be exciting, for their uniqueness, for their continued experimentation with fabrics. would love to see pieces from this collection styled differently in editorials.

Last edited by made; 17-09-2009 at 04:37 AM. Reason: did not notice the detailed pictures.
17-09-2009
windowshopping

and. as usual.. on viewing the detailed pictures posted, amazing leather work. crochet, tulle, leather? amazing.. it was definitely an initial dislike of the styling..

17-09-2009
V.I.P.

When you see the detailed shots, it gets so much better. You can see that the leather lattice work is infact plaited, and twisted and all sorts. As well as being really nicely finished along the edges.

17-09-2009
V.I.P.

i totally get the criticism about zero progression in terms of dress structure, silhouette.

its very "surface" - and as Horyn said last season, one gets a real sense of the girls spending hours lovingly draping and patchworking bits and bobs.

in that sense, i'm not convinced Rodarte is genius.

that said, I do like the end result - its pretty, very "pretty" in a very romantic way.

scenester

i cant said this show is great or not,because i still think they look like the same in every collection...but the shoes is cool.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
10, rodarte, s or s, york