How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-08-2009
trendsetter

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love Rodarte and I frequently shop at Target but how on earth could the Rodarte aesthetic be successfully translated to the mass market? I just don't think it can. I think we're in for a colorful but disappointing holiday collection.

Last edited by KaraDanielle11; 05-08-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling

05-08-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
mikeijames,it may be a strategic move too. h&m's are not in widespread locations and they have no online solutions....it could be a way of getting the stuff out there in a more broad manner.
perhaps i'm a bit myopic in this respect, but it doesn't seem they're trying to go the mass market all-american route with respect to their brand. michael kors? okay. proenza schouler? i get that. rodarte? they're almost too good to even keep showing in new york. they have a global appeal for the customer who wants the next best thing in fashion.

like, this would play more in shanghai and frankfurt than nebraska city and little rock.

trendsetter

I am really excited for this but at the same time I am wondering how they will translate their designs for the mass market. We shall see, hopefully they don't disappointEither way, I have faith in the Mulleavy girls

05-08-2009
tfs star

My God.

front row

hmm.. i dont know. im excited, but my expectations arent super high. no one has done something for target or any other chain store that's truly impressed me. also, it's making them more mainstream, and rodarte isnt mainstream. i though what they did for gap was 'nice', but that's it. i sincerely hope the new clothes arent overly plain or watered down.

it dissapoints me a little bit when a well respected name does something for walmart or whatever, because it brings them down to 'everyday' for lack of a better word. i totally understand why versace will never do it.

06-08-2009
This is the Renaissance

Yeah, I'm having a really difficult time imagining this as well, but it's a great move for Target if they can pull it off.

I can't wait to see the line.

06-08-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
Have ANY of these collaborations ever produced anything that didn't look or feel cheap? remember Karl for H&M? It was sooo nasty. I wouldn't hold my breath if i were you.
That's because they are cheap!

i'm not really fond of these collaborations, but we'll wait and see what they come out with.

06-08-2009
fashion icon

Their clothes already look like a big mess to me and they're executed with big budgets. I don't even want to know what it'll be like when you do it it Target's margins.

06-08-2009
backstage pass

I'm totally excited, but I don't like the December release time. Can't wait for pictures anyway.

"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to take away."
06-08-2009
V.I.P.

im usually very skeptical of people complaining about diffusion lines...were they really one of the 30 people that bought rodarte dresses last season?

fashion insider

^ I wouldn't call this a diffusion line

06-08-2009
fashion insider

Another article:

Quote:
A new designer is following the luxe for less trend.

Target has snapped up Rodarte to design a line for their Go International series of limited collections, reports WWD.com. The Target series, which has included designs from runway darlings like Erin Fetherston and Thakoon since its 2007 inception, focuses on young and emerging designers, widening their appeal by lowering the price point of their garments.

The desiging duo that makes up Rodarte, sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy, will offer up 55 pieces for the line, which is scheduled to launch on December 20 - just in time for last minute holiday shoppers - and only through February 6, 2010. And the price? Rodarte for Target’s Go International line will feature knee-highs starting at just $9.99 and max out at $79.99 for a leopard print jacket.

Rodarte, a label known for its intricate red carpet looks (Kirsten Dunst, Reese Witherspoon and Natalie Portman are fans), translate their signature designs into mass market appeal.

“What you’ll notice is an amazing eye for detail,” said Target spokesman, Joshua Thomas. “It’s very feminine, yet very modern. The collection incorporates a rich mix of patterns and fabrications and everything from sequins and bows to faux fur. The key with Rodarte is layering.”

The collection also includes “a variety of great holiday dresses,” according to Thomas -- welcome news to anyone who’s longed to wear a frock from the avant garde design team.

“There are stand-alone pieces and pieces that can be worn together to create an ensemble by layering different patterns, textures and prints,” said Thomas. The spokesman went on to add that while some guests may have shopped the upscale collection, Target “will introduce Rodarte’s design aesthetic to a much broader audience.”

Target’s Go International series also shares the stage with Designer Collaborations, a program that invites designers to create a line based on some bit of inspiration- a muse, collaborative partner or a creative element, for instance. Alexander McQueen debuted his collection - the first in the series - back in March; Anna Sui’s “Gossip Girl” inspired looks ready to hit stores on next month, on September 13.
nydailynews.com

06-08-2009
rising star

this is very exciting news, very

06-08-2009
fashion elite

Very anxious & excited to see how this turns out!

06-08-2009
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
Have ANY of these collaborations ever produced anything that didn't look or feel cheap? remember Karl for H&M? It was sooo nasty. I wouldn't hold my breath if i were you.
but what exactly are you expecting? it's target! not barney's or colette. for what it is and the price range i think the quality is okay. it's cheap but aesthetically pleasing,at least.

Last edited by Scott; 06-08-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rodarte, target