How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-02-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Well said, dior couture and littleearthquakes, I completely agree with your points of view on the situation and it's refreshing to read, as most of the comments I've seen on other sites have people siding with Amy on the matter... even calling her response a very "professional" one, which I couldn't feel is further from the fact.

01-02-2011
V.I.P.

To be fair to Amy though, in all the red carpet events for BS the sisters always said/say we designed them fullstop. Never a mention of anyone else. If I was Amy I would be pissed too. Just because she didn't design the most memorable looks doesn't mean she shouldn't be mentioned

09-02-2011
Mr. Zhivago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
I agree, I didn't even know about all this de-rama prior to the interviews that Amy is giving.

The biggest flaw is how she makes it seem like it's an even comparison anyway. So what if Rodarte made only what 7 out of the total 40+ costumes. But those were the costumes that people noticed. No one's looking at Mila's grey/black leotard gym workout clothes that AW created. I don't even know why that needs to be designed from the ground up, you can just go out and buy something like that and throw it together for the movie.
I for one was more interested and impressed with Amy's costume design than Rodarte's frothy frocks. Sure, they're beautiful and the structure is complicated, but it's not hard to throw glitter and feathers and tulle together. Creating multiple character's wardrobes that subtly suggest their personality, tastes, moods and with Natalie's character, newfound sexuality and maturity - isn't that more worthy of praise?

But, it's no shock to me that Rodarte's glitz and the theatrical makeup has captured more attention than subdued, subtle pieces. I get why, but I wish people understood costume designing better. People don't notice it unless it's pretty or eye popping.

09-02-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
Creating multiple character's wardrobes that subtly suggest their personality, tastes, moods and with Natalie's character, newfound sexuality and maturity - isn't that more worthy of praise?
I dunno, I think that's more an issue of styling and not design.

13-02-2011
D‘MMkammern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
I agree, I didn't even know about all this de-rama prior to the interviews that Amy is giving.

The biggest flaw is how she makes it seem like it's an even comparison anyway. So what if Rodarte made only what 7 out of the total 40+ costumes. But those were the costumes that people noticed. No one's looking at Mila's grey/black leotard gym workout clothes that AW created. I don't even know why that needs to be designed from the ground up, you can just go out and buy something like that and throw it together for the movie.
but custom design is all about choosing the right clothes, for the right person, the right scene. the clothes are a big part of the message: even if it looks like things that "you go out and then throw together", there's a lot of work into pairing what's happening and what the characters are wearing.
we all express ourselves through the things we wear, and that's even more true on camera, where every element is there to communicate the message.
notices how Natalie's character changes her color code from scene to scene, what that says about the character. Notice how the palette of all pinks, and white and gray turns to black progressively.

there's movies that use these elements brilliantly, and there's others that just dont. the black swan i think is successful at that, and to be able to say so much with such simple things has a lot more value to me than merely designing a pretty embroidered ballet dress.

13-02-2011
V.I.P.

Funny, I was drawn much more to the practice/rehearsal clothes designed by Yumiko, than I was the Rodarte Swan lake stuff.

18-02-2011
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by melfreya View Post
Maybe she'll wear them at the Oscars, which is the biggest event anyway
My money is on Dior; she's not terribly interested in fashion and she has a contract with them, a la Charlize and Marion. I doubt passing on your employer for such a major event would be a terribly wise move.

Am I the only one that felt the costuming on Amy's end was a little... obvious? Maybe it's because I study film, but good girl with a bad side in pink and gray, bad girl with a good side in black and gray? Wow! That being said, I think the only reason she was passed on for the nomination was because the academy just doesn't have the respect it should for contemporary films in terms of the costuming category. It always goes to a stuffy period piece, and I'm sure this year won't be any different.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
black, costumes, rodarte, swan