How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-10-2009
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
My bold prediction is that MMM will fail without MM.
I would bet my savings on that prediction.

04-10-2009
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetricSam View Post
Indeed, Martin asked him but he refused
They also asked Raf Simons and he also refused. If Martin didn't want to answer to Diesel why would Haider or Raf?

04-10-2009
rising star

Definitely explains the recent collection. Definitely let a lot of MMM fans (like myself) down.

04-10-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMolly View Post
Definitely explains the recent collection.
Definitely.

04-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionasMuse View Post
Definitely.
the fact that they tried to hide this for so long really makes me angry

04-10-2009
Stitch:the Hand

^i concur.

04-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
Very Funny, I sent a somewhat demanding e-mail to their press office asking if Margiela was still in the house just a couple of days ago...

The problem is that Margiela has built his appeal on using high concepts - and then translating them into purposeful, timely, and extremely chic clothes. Russo is grossly underestimating how much skill and how much of a singular vision that takes.

Despite that MMM has always been officially referred to as a "collective" it's no secret to anyone that Martin's own design direction was integral to their output. And let's say it weren't and that the team was perfectly capable of doing it on their own, they are taking direction from buyers and production lackeys at Diesel...there's a reason why some Margiela right now could easily be confused with Dsquared cast offs... not too hard to switch the labels around....
the d2 comparison is so spot-on! and unfortunately a shameful comparison for the maison. rosso will soon regret treating this label as if it were another banal deep pocket.

212....thinking more about persoons....i honestly don't think even he would accept such a position. especially seeing the way all of this has transpired and the suspicious underlying components involved....

going back to your sentiment caffeine....it makes one angry because all this time they mislead everyone into thinking he had actually still been there so meanwhile he we all are criticising and perceiving the latest works to be his.

05-10-2009
backstage pass

I still like the men's collection but the last women collect. was outrageously awful.

Everyone knew he was half-in,half-out anyway so it's better that they made things clear.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
I still like the men's collection but the last women collect. was outrageously awful.

Everyone knew he was half-in,half-out anyway so it's better that they made things clear.

agree, the mens collection isnt all that bad, although it is becoming somewhat predictable and a tad stale. the blue ripple effect t shirts, rainwater-stained coats, barbed wired series are rather uninspiring although it still reminds one of margiela somehow (like an aftertaste?), which could well be made by his disciples or team from the maison. but with all due respect, they could very much be running out of ideas soon (2010 ss womens).

i totally couldnt believe it when i saw margiela came out with a phone strap with nothing but just the numerical logo

06-10-2009
V.I.P.

I can't express anymore than what has already been said. Sadly, it's not completely unexpected. It's as bad as when Helmut resigned. I don't think anybody can quite continue the legacy that MM has created, especially when it is controlled by the most commercialized vision of Rosso.

scenester

it's the end of an aera isn'it? The last truly independent mind in fashion, the last singular vision, and the only designer who, for almost 20 years ( I say almost as I'm not counting the last 4 seasons) worked without ever losing his integrity when it came to press and marketing..no "It-bags" here..just beautiful clothes that made sense not only on models but also on customers (hence the huge fanbase)
Nobody will ever repeat what he did, simply because the way fashion and the press work now- no glamour, no luxury= no exposure.

06-10-2009
neorealismo

That's the most mysterious sentence ever: He is here but not here..

Does it mean the latest collection was not done by Martin Margiela himself? Really sad news.

06-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by donyan View Post
it's the end of an aera isn'it? The last truly independent mind in fashion, the last singular vision, and the only designer who, for almost 20 years ( I say almost as I'm not counting the last 4 seasons) worked without ever losing his integrity when it came to press and marketing..no "It-bags" here..just beautiful clothes that made sense not only on models but also on customers (hence the huge fanbase)
Nobody will ever repeat what he did, simply because the way fashion and the press work now- no glamour, no luxury= no exposure.
i dunno about that...we still have a few uncompromising minds working like ann demeulemeester,kawakubo,boudicca,ann-sofie back(who has very interesting new concept project at the moment),a.f. vandevorst and even viv.

granted,no one with his particular vision but i don't think independence is necessarily dead now.

amelia,sadly it wasn't. it was the teams work obviously dictated by rosso.

06-10-2009
V.I.P.

I think the most interesting thing here is to ask, when exactly did Margiela leave? he could have left (design-wise) well before Rosso, couldn't he have?

06-10-2009
neorealismo

Polish fashion journalists used to ask if Margiela exists at all.. I thought it was so stupid to doubt! Well, looks like it wasn't such a bad idea.

After all, he could have retired /how can I call it?/ months ago and we'd never find out

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
confirms, longer, maison, margiela, martin, rosso