The Row : from Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen #2 - Page 18 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
18-07-2014
backstage pass

The articles make me like the girls even more, very smart, very shrewd and definitely has good business acumen.
And I also agree that their deep pockets allow them to sustain the business. But it all stems from their hardwork and intelligence since young in the first place.

That said, I am not quite liking the shop, it is a bit too sparse and doesnt scream `luxury` in the first instance...maybe this is the American/ LA sense of aesthetic but certainly not quite old-money European. Being understated doesnt mean it has to stinge on furnishing, the place doesnt look like it costs a lot of money to make, the window frames doesnt look nice, for eg.
I also dont like the fact that they are selling their selected (I assume) furniture...maybe when the time comes, they should be designing their own furniture lines.

24-07-2014
V.I.P.

Bad news

Quote:
HERMÉS is close to naming departing creative director Christophe Lemaire's successor, with The Row's design director, Nadége Vanhee, said to be the favourite to take the role.

Vanhee has stayed out of the spotlight while establishing a name for herself in the industry. Before working with the Olsen sisters, she enjoyed stints as senior designer at Celine under Phoebe Philo and at Maison Martin Margiela, reports WWD. If she does take on the top job at Hermés, she would be following in Margiela's footsteps, as well as those of Jean Paul Gaultier.
vogue.com

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIVENCHYlover View Post
Bad news

vogue.com

Bad news and a reality check for anyone who still thinks the Olsens actually design and construct the clothing for The Row, although they do a great job making it seem as if no formal training is required to design high quality clothing.

24-07-2014
tfs star

That's indeed bad news, they would be losing one of their biggest assets... it's quite clear having in mind the houses for which Vanhee has worked in the past and the aesthetic the The Row follows. I would like to know who they are hiring next.

V.I.P.

Surely there won't be an announcement regarding who's replacing her at The Row, will it?

Also I'm a bit curious as to how these things work. So you're working at a place and have a prominent position, suddenly you get a call and two days later you quit and move out of the country to join a new team? And your employer just has to deal with it and find a new person to replace you?

24-07-2014
V.I.P.

In the papers she's not the creative director so a 3 year contract is not necessary.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
Surely there won't be an announcement regarding who's replacing her at The Row, will it?

Also I'm a bit curious as to how these things work. So you're working at a place and have a prominent position, suddenly you get a call and two days later you quit and move out of the country to join a new team? And your employer just has to deal with it and find a new person to replace you?
Yes, that's how it works. Sometimes there are deadlines to meet (15 days, a month) but that's how it happens. There are many hunters looking for talented people out there in prominent positions in every sector.

V.I.P.

^Thank you for confirming it I knew it happened in other sectors, but it seemed a bit more intriguing applied to fashion design per se.

24-07-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
^Thank you for confirming it I knew it happened in other sectors, but it seemed a bit more intriguing applied to fashion design per se.
Well, I think in fashion is even more common given the high competitiveness and the general fast-pace of the industry.

In other sectors such as hospitality or high-consultancy is also common.

hepburn

This is really sad news for The Row and for the girls, Nadege was/is a huge part of the company

08-08-2014
V.I.P.

6 pages in Bazaar UK Sept 2014

my snap

V.I.P.

In The Row AW14

my snap, Bazaar UK

V.I.P.

Quote:
The Row to Open Upper East Side Flagship

UPTOWN GIRLS: The Row’s tony, sophisticated aesthetic resonates beautifully with the 10021 set, and soon those ladies will be able to shop their zip code. Ashley Olsen and Mary-Kate Olsen have signed a lease on a 1910 townhouse at 17 East 71st Street, where they expect to open a New York flagship by the end of the year. “We have had our eye on this property for the past two years,” said Ashley.

The choice of a townhouse suggests that the designers may be shaping a retail identity based on localized architecture and an at-home approach to decor. Last May they opened their first store, on Melrose Place in Los Angeles, a shiny capsule of midcentury cool built around a courtyard and pool visible through glass doors. At the time, Mary-Kate said it was a toss-up whether to open in Los Angeles or New York, and when the West Coast space became available, “we jumped on it.”

In altering the L.A. space, Ashley said, “we left the bones. We like to enhance what’s already existed so the integrity of it is still very on par.” Two galleries were furnished as living and dining rooms. “It was about setting it up as a home and just having the apparel be a part of the space,” she said.

The Olsens are no strangers to showing their wares within a townhouse setting. They showed their fall 2013 collection in an airy Upper East Side beauty aglow with Edwardian elegance. Their modern-classic clothes looked right at home.
wwd.com

13-02-2015
V.I.P.

Great news, I love their LA shop

fashion insider

I'm honestly surprised they didn't open their first shop in NY.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, ashley, marykate, olsen, row