How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-09-2011
V.I.P.

Rather clinical, but in a good way. Some of the pieces are simply stunning.

10-09-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

^I agree with you, Amy. The line is "maturing" so well.

I love how reminiscent of the ocean it all is. The long fluid silhouettes remind me of jellyfishes, the details on one of the dress are like foam and the buttons that embelish many of the pieces look like shells. One of my favorite looks has to be the long silk robe with the pale blue sea creatures print. I bet it feels divine.

It's such an exquisite collection and the attention to details is wonderful.

V.I.P.

Its rather nice but I have to admit, I see a great deal of Philo's Celine in this. Exhibit A:

style.com/

10-09-2011
backstage pass

The pieces look definitely very luxurious in a simple and clean way. The textures look so fine, like something you'd definitely love to have on your skin. I like it, they are developing well.

10-09-2011
.my prison is your brain.

I have always felt the line has matured and progressed from season to season, but I actually feel they took a step backwards here. These over-sized pieces are not flattering on ~6 foot models, so I cringe at the thought of them on the average woman. It's a shame the tailoring is so off, because there are some really beautiful elements here; I love the extremely muted blue color, the woven tasseled pieces, the shell inspired details and the silky fabrics they worked with are incredibly appealing. I just hope they aren't try to prove themselves as designers too much and, in turn, lose the essence of what attracted us to them in the first place powerful, wearable, womanly clothes.

10-09-2011
fashion icon

a few good things, but in general I think it's borring. I don't like colors at all and I don't like pants at all

10-09-2011
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amywilliams View Post
I can't quite believe how far The Row has come since it first started out as simply a t-shirt line, this collection is so beautiful.
Indeed. I was super critical of them when they started the Row but they have really matured into a serious fashion house. This collection, as well as their past ones, is really fantastic. Who would have thought when they first started with their 500 dollar tshirts.

10-09-2011
V.I.P.

this is absolutely breathtaking!
I do agree that some of these pieces will have
to be altered to become more flattering

10-09-2011
V.I.P.

I always feel like I'm the only one who just doesn't 'get' this brand. I think this whole collection is just ugly and unflattering, I don't see a single thing I like here

10-09-2011
fashion icon

It looks like a mix of Calvin Klein, Theory and Celine. Knowing the girls they'll charge twice as much as those brands.

10-09-2011
rising star

As pointed out, I see a lot of Calvin and Celine references. However, I have grown to truly love this line.

V.I.P.

Vera Wang better be worried . The Row's slowly replacing her as the dignified, carefully crafted tribute of 2-3 seasons old Parisian collections.

I am definitely impressed by their efforts (god knows I never found the point of this line or the appeal in these girls), and this will look stunning on people of all ages (which is another effort worth noting!). It is a very literal collage though, of Céline, Matohu, Vera Wang herself, Oscar de la Renta.. it's the work of a fan instead of a creator, and I think that if you're going to put so much effort and attention to each look (which they clearly have) and take the line to ambitions distances, you better put some some creativity and soul in it too. It's the only thing that's missing here.

V.I.P.

Boring... :S

10-09-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
NEW YORK, September 9, 2011
By Nicole Phelps
Four years after launching their label The Row, Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen have nothing to prove. The ready-to-wear is in nearly 150 stores worldwide, and their new bag line, including a crocodile backpack that costs almost as much as a new BMW, is reportedly selling briskly at Barneys. But they impressed again with their latest show. First, the setting: a vaulted-ceiling, wood-paneled studio at the Baryshnikov Arts Center as serenely lovely as the collection (you can be sure this will become a popular fashion-week venue in the future). Second, the clothes: Spring is more restrained than their super-luxe Fall outing. The palette, mostly white and soft shades of mint and blush pink, played a part in that. So did the silhouettes: long, sleeveless tunics over sheer pants; a printed satin pajama set with a long silk robe over it; an elongated tuxedo jacket worn with full trousers.

The Olsens said their twin inspirations were a Seattle exhibition of Nick Cave's Soundsuits and the country of Tibet. "We wanted everything to float and breathe, or make a sound even," Mary-Kate explained afterward. Tibet came into the picture via the prayer beads slung across the torso of one model and the handmade open-knit sleeves of a sweater. There were echoes of Celine's last Spring collection in the more artisanal bits. As for Mr. Cave? In the stillness of the performance space, the shell buttons densely embellishing a long tank faintly jingled.

Other evening pieces made you sit up and take notice, too—most notably, a voluptuous caftan embroidered with silver and crystal beads at the bodice. That caftan happens to be corseted underneath; no detail goes unattended to here. The workmanship at The Row is exceptional, and the results are as elegant as anything we're bound to see this week.
Source:style.com

10-09-2011
trendsetter

do you know who designed the shoes?

it's very Phoebe Philo/Calvin Klein

Love a few pieces, others just meh...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, row, s or s, york