How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-09-2011
fashion icon

The Celine element is obvious but not nearly as obvious as Prabal Gurung's homage to Ricardo Tisci. I can put it all aside, actually. It's a gorgeous collection and the girls have proven themselves to be real designers, even when all the other "real" designers can't.

10-09-2011
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Vera Wang better be worried . The Row's slowly replacing her as the dignified, carefully crafted tribute of 2-3 seasons old Parisian collections.

I am definitely impressed by their efforts (god knows I never found the point of this line or the appeal in these girls), and this will look stunning on people of all ages (which is another effort worth noting!). It is a very literal collage though, of Céline, Matohu, Vera Wang herself, Oscar de la Renta.. it's the work of a fan instead of a creator, and I think that if you're going to put so much effort and attention to each look (which they clearly have) and take the line to ambitions distances, you better put some some creativity and soul in it too. It's the only thing that's missing here.

i agree completely...

it's really not mature...that's the thing that's missing...imho...
it's mature---for them---
but they have a ways to go yet...

it's coming along nicely though...they are definitely moving forward...
and the stuff is tasteful and elegant...even if it could be a bit more refined from a design perspective...
that obi belted look is just not good...

this seems like the first time they've really tried to do anything that was 'inspired'...so that's already a HUGE step forward in terms of design...
so that's good...
i'm glad they aren't just playing it completely safe...

* you know what designer came to mind for me...?
chado ralph rucci...it's all the embellishment and the graphic silhouette...

i dunno...
it's just a bit stiff...and matronly...and not sexy in that cool casual way that it needs to be...
it doesn't seem effortless...
it seems studied and a bit forced in some places...

it's a good effort though...i applaud that...
their inspiration is good and i like where they are trying to go...
and when they get it right, i will probably be a customer...

:p

10-09-2011
fashion elite

its ok not thrilled. some pieces are beautiful but some of the fabric cuts are awkward

V.I.P.

I like the idea - white, flowy, clinical with a boho flair, and while there were a few good looks, the proportions seemed to go from cool and relaxed to haphazard and unpolished.

11-09-2011
backstage pass

wow. this is actaully really good. Did the Olsen twins actually design this or did they just put their name on another designer's work?

11-09-2011
fashion icon

Believe it or not, they actually do design it themselves. Bizarre isn't it? Oh what's that? A pig just flew past my window.

13-09-2011
V.I.P.

i like it for the most part

13-09-2011
.my prison is your brain.

The more collections I see this week, the more I appreciate this collection.

13-09-2011
When in doubt, wear red.

I seriously love this. This their best collection so far. And yes this collection is a solid proof of ùmaturyity for a 4 y.o brand.
They obvliously decide to go deeper in the elaboration and experimentation design wise, instead of only focusing on delivering greta timeless essentials.
The lines, the fabrics, the prints everything screams summer. A very smooth and delightful seaside summer. I'm so pleased by the sea inspirationthis season. Also I'm really fascinated by the prints and all the shell embroideries (?) don't really know if it's a new kind of crochet technique or whatever but it's most beautful thing I've seen this season so far.
There's some things that could be updated, especially in the footwear I always feel like there's less focus on the shoe section. But still, it's really brilliant, maybe slightly ill-fitted but I'm convinced that there's more than piece or dress that is a serious investment. In that sense, we find back the brand's aim.

front row

I remember when I was like 15 years old and at Wal-Mart with my parents when I saw the Olsen twins clothing line.

I seriously hope you guys aren't buying into this. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of you are.

V.I.P.

It is airy. A little too baggy, though, in some cases. There are very lux looking items in this collection, that would last and last and last in the closet. They feel resort-like.

13-09-2011
rising star

Celine knock offs for sure. I am not impressed at all- all I keep thinking is glamourized night gowns.

trendsetter

I have to say I really like this. But I think it's more of a good styling than good clothes. In any case, well done.

14-09-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
Believe it or not, they actually do design it themselves. Bizarre isn't it? Oh what's that? A pig just flew past my window.
In a interview earlier this year they mentioned The Row having a small design team so, no, they do not design all the clothes themselves.

14-09-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

^Extracted from "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen: Scissor Sisters" published on WWD.COM in May 2011:

Quote:
The chic anchor, The Row, is wholly owned by the two. They cop proudly to micromanagement, designing the line with just one other designer and getting personally involved in every decision. Says Ashley, “We’ve made every hire; we know everyone’s salary. We run The Row, from start to finish.”
- via FACEBOOK.COM/PAGES/THE-ROW

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, row, s or s, york