How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2012
Mr. Magic

Nooo I can't take anymore swansong for this season. I'm destroyed two days ago watching Raf's. Why all my favourites tumble out of nowhere

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

27-02-2012
V.I.P.

I'm sad. I wanted him to stay. Where will Stefano go now.

27-02-2012
backstage pass

Oh my god just how many more designers do I have to see step down this season

fashion icon

After years' rumors, now Stefano is finally leaving YSL. I'm so sad about this. I loved most of his collections for YSL, and those memorable campaigns.

I could only wish him the very best for the future.

27-02-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
PARIS | Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19am GMT

(Reuters) - French fashion brand Yves Saint Laurent is parting ways with its head designer Stefano Pilati, parent group PPR said on Monday, with his replacement to be announced after his last fashion show on March 5.

Pilati, who had been the creative head of the fashion house for the past seven years, is expected to be replaced by Hedi Slimane, ex-head of design at Dior menswear, French news agency Agence France Presse reported on Saturday citing sources close to the matter.

Pilati was already rumoured to be on his way out last autumn and replaced by Raf Simons, Jil Sander's designer, prompting YSL to issue a statement in September denying Pilati was leaving.

Under Pilati's stewardship and designs, particularly in high-margin leather goods, YSL returned to profitability in 2008 but was hit hard by the downturn of 2009.

Pilati has "been instrumental in the rebuilding and repositioning of an iconic French luxury brand," YSL said in a statement.

The brand's sales rose more than 31 percent last year to 353.7 million euros, above many close peers such as Hermes and Lanvin, helping operating profit swell more than fourfold to 41 million euros.

If Slimane is confirmed creative director of YSL, it would mark a comeback for the designer who used to head the French brand's menswear between 1997 and 2000 before it was acquired by PPR.

Slimane, 43, was designer at Christian Dior menswear between 2001 and 2007, making a name for himself with skinny cuts. In recent years he has devoted time to photography, publishing a retrospective book last year called "Anthology of a Decade."

Jil Sander said on Thursday that Belgian Simons would leave the fashion house at the end of February. On Friday, the brand's German eponymous founder confirmed that she was returning to the label she created 40 years ago.

The news reignited speculation that Simons could be on his way to joining France's Christian Dior, which has yet to announce a replacement for John Galliano more than a year after his departure. Dior parent LVMH on Thursday declined to comment about a possible announcement regarding Galliano's replacement.
-Reuters

V.I.P.

it's even more sad now that it's official

27-02-2012
V.I.P.

terrible news

27-02-2012
tfs star

Goodbye Stefano! Hello Hedi!

Maybe Stefano can start his own line? Or take over Lanvin if Alber ever leaves to takes over Chanel. Who knows, that could all happen tomorrow, hahaha.

27-02-2012
rising star

This is really sad news . I am officially on brake from fashion. I personally don't think he deserves this but something bigger might be coming for him. I would love to see him move to Dior or Armani where he can do couture. His edition soir collections were incredibly beautiful and haute couture-ish. Preferably, he can start his own line where he can have 100% creative freedom.

Despite the fact that some may disagree, Stefano did an amazing job at YSL. More people are wearing YSL now but he has still managed to keep it very exclusive. I bought a tunic from the mens fall 2010 collection and thats probably the most unique item in my wardrobe. Every time I wear it, people ask where I got it from. It was a novelty piece quite alright, but not many knew about it the same way people were crazy about the bulldog/birds of paradise prints at Givenchy. I like how he still made wearing YSL special. Now it makes so much sense why he was so blunt in his latest interview.

Last edited by ogepma; 27-02-2012 at 12:23 PM.
27-02-2012
trendsetter

So sad this is true. He was really hitting his stride IMO

27-02-2012
flaunt the imperfection

i'm gonna say it again...
i think Pilati would be excellent at Dior...

27-02-2012
fashion elite

Couldn't they atleast have waited after his last show??? Geez , he is one of the most underappreciated designers , simply because he doesn't sell himself out!!!

27-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Creative Director Leaving YSL
By DAVID JOLLY

PARIS — Stefano Pilati is stepping down as creative director of Yves Saint Laurent, the famed French label said Monday, the latest in a round of musical chairs that is turning the world of fashion upside down.

Mr. Pilati has been at the top of YSL, a unit of the luxury giant PPR, since 2004. He will have his final show for autumn-winter women’s wear on Monday in Paris, the company said, with a new creative director to be announced in “the coming weeks.”

His leaving had long been rumored. Hedi Slimane, a former men’s wear designer for YSL and Dior Homme who is currently working as a photographer, is thought by industry insiders to be the favored candidate to replace Mr. Pilati.

Designers like Mr. Pilati are the rock stars of the fashion world, paid enormous salaries for the excitement and marketing firepower they bring to luxury conglomerates. With the passage of giants like Yves Saint Laurent, who died in 2008, the companies that are the inheritors of Europe’s family fashion brands face the task of finding designers who can live up to their legendary predecessors.

Like its peers, YSL had a bumper year in 2011 as sales to Asia boomed. The brand’s revenue soared 31 percent from a year earlier, to €354 million, or $474 million, and pretax profit rose to €50 million, up 164 percent. Still, that was but a small fraction of PPR’s revenue of €12.2 billion and net income of €986 million.

“I think behind the change at YSL there is a desire at PPR to accelerate growth,” said Virginie Blin, a luxury and retailing sector analyst at AlphaValue in Paris. “They look at Dior Couture, which has sales of about €1 billion, and they see a similar potential for YSL.”

The shake-up atop YSL comes just days after the news that the Belgian designer Raf Simons will be leaving the Jil Sander fashion house after seven years as Ms. Sander returns to the top spot.

Mr. Simons, who presented his final Jil Sander show on Saturday, is now thought to be a candidate for the top job at Christian Dior, the position that was left empty last year after John Galliano left in disgrace. As recently as last autumn, Mr. Simons was rumored to be in line to replace Mr. Pilati at YSL.

Mr. Pilati had been “instrumental in the rebuilding and repositioning of an iconic French luxury brand,” YSL said. “Under Stefano’s guiding vision and artistic direction, the house has become a contemporary reference in high fashion.”

Siddhartha Shukla, a spokesman for YSL, said Mr. Pilati would not be available to comment. Claudia Mora, a spokeswoman for PPR, declined to comment on Mr. Pilati’s departure.

Suzy Menkes contributed reporting from Milan.
nytimes

fashion insider

Ahh poor Stefano. At least the very least this puts an end to all the rumours which have dogged him for so long. People have been saying he'd be out at YSL for ages but it's still a shame, he was putting out some strong collections lately.

Hell on Heels

with mcqueen gone, galliano off the radar and now stefano leaving i don't know what to do with fashion anymore. I've always been a HUGE fan of his work at ysl and the last few seasons were simply great. this doesn't make sense to me at all. it's SO sad

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
it’s, laurent, leave, official, pilati, st, stefano, yves