How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izreal View Post
obviously no one is getting turned down at the entrance of a SLP boutique..but can you honestly say looking at the latest collection that the mature bourgeois woman has been kept in mind? same goes for men really, my recent visit to SLP showed pretty much NSFW items... they've got freaking SLP rollerskates planned for FW13 (i am not kidding!) at least DH had their basics for the office man (suit, ties, shirts, shoes & briefcases) but this departure is perhaps in line with the evolution of Balmain, Balenciaga etc.. basically clothing for a less conventional clientele..
what about your nda??

09-03-2013
front row

..well aren't rules meant to be broken?

Four One One

09-03-2013
V.I.P.

omg

09-03-2013
backstage pass

There are pictures alllll over Twitter of those roller skates. How truly awful. Apparently only 25 pairs produced...

Power to the 99%

^ i think it would be much cooler to make skates out of the spiked combat boots

10-03-2013
clever ain't wise

God those roller skates are ugly. They look like they are about to break too, so at least something will be broken.

10-03-2013
front row

... actually they use industry grade wheels & trucks used for hockey & street skating (krypto impulse) so again quality shouldn't be knocked..
not that i would dare step foot in those .. but hey..

instagram/caradelvingne

10-03-2013
Ère de ℳodernité

I wonder who is the tool bag who's actually going to buy this crap

backstage pass

Only 25 pairs were made apparently. So 25 tool bags will waste money on Saint Laurent roller skates...

front row

i heard 100... not really any less stupid then chanel skis, LV tennis racket or Hermes bicycle.. i find it quite funny actually since quad skates haven't been seen since the late 70s/80s.. (and people say hedi has no humor) perhaps a roller disco theme collection will be next and finally disco54 will be happy

10-03-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
I think you are seriously underestimating their loyal clientele's, that has existed for decades, net worth. I'd bet it's much more than the rich kids they are targeting with this collection, sans the celebrities who don't pay for their clothes anyway. I think they might actually see a significant drop in their profits.

Besides, it can sell all day long, that doesn't mean it doesn't still completely and utterly suck. Shouldn't they prefer a designer who can bring them a better balance of profits and respectability? Are they really willing to trash a reputation that goes back a half-century?
Examples: Ed Hardy, Juicy Couture, etc...
Just because they have good sales doesn't mean it's good.
I honestly did not mind the last collection, which put me in the minority around these parts. I was cheering for Hedi and I understood what he was trying to do and I legitimately liked a lot of what he showed. But I cannot make any YSL connection to this. If he wanted to produce this sh*t he should have started his own label and not dragged Yves name through the mud.

10-03-2013
front row

YSL SS'71 ^

tucec9.tumblr.com

Last edited by Izreal; 10-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.
10-03-2013
V.I.P.

under those oversized and honestly plain ugly overshirts, jackets and coats, are some pretty party dresses. but those baby dresses? no.

i don't even mind the shoes.

why does Hedi insist on styling his clothes like that? clean the girls up a bit, give them proper shoes and jackets which are their actual size and it'd be (a smidgen) better.

but when you look at what ends up being offered on sale, it's really just basics, which are cut a bit sharper, true to Hedi's style.

the floppy hats are really popular in Paris, as are a lot of the bags. while being in Paris during FW, i saw quite a number of both Bettys and the duffel bags. but while i understand how the first runway show could possibly move accessories and maybe even fragrances, i fail to see ANYTHING aspirational here.

and isn't aspiration one of the main ingredients when it comes to designer clothing? esp YSL...

10-03-2013
no tom ford, no thanks.

^customers aspire toward that intangible "cool factor" as much as they aspire toward that ineffable "chic factor." we will always have enough room in the marketplace for both the uptown houses and the downtown houses. it's clear that slimane -- and ppr with their pick of alexander wang at balenciaga -- feels the opportunity lies with the latter and not the former. and given the other major cultural exports of our day -- from music to cuisine to film to architecture -- i'd say they're not the only ones.

front row

Haters Gonna Hate: the recourse for debate for those who don't have anything of substance to say. Not that Izrael hasn't been trying to substantiate his position, but I just find it lazy thinking (if in fact the brain cells are accessed at all) whenever someone brings up this desperate cliche just so they get in a final word (again, not that this is what Izrael is doing; I know he meant it as tongue-in-cheek). It's such juvenile rationality at work.

The difference betwen the YSL of yesteryear and the YSL of today is that back then there was no internet. People had limited knowledge and lacked exposure to ideas and concepts. So the shock of something new was a possibility, the repulsion towards that which was inconceivable. But in this day and age when everything is at saturation point because it is easily accessible makes immediate response more informed, more perceptive, and, in certain ways, more prescient. Still, that depends on how lazy or not the person who's responding is. I do believe, however, this collection will be remembered solely for the reactions it produced instead of the actual clothes on show.

Last edited by Uemarasan; 10-03-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, f or w, laurent, paris, saint