How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-10-2012
Hell on Heels

It's a bit naive to think that the clientele will radically chance based on the re-branding... afterall the big money comes from, guess who, rich housewives and wealthy businessman (and this is not only in places like Dior or YSL... I usually see old ladies shopping at more 'edgy' multibrand stores or places like Celine, Balenciaga...).

SLP won't only be sold in paris, london or la. Most of the cities that have a SL store even lack that rich it-girl / socialite / rockstar whatever type that this could interest. Speaking from my own point of view, living in Rome and working in the business, i know where the money of these big stores come from, and its not from a young clientele... that's only a small percentage (if any at all). I don't also foresee the company firing their old employers (what's wrong with an old s.a. by the way? they're always the best at their jobs, helpful, knowledgeable etc) to have punk rock skinny kids welcoming their years-long clientele. I know it would shut down immediately here... and i'm pretty sure in many other places.
This approach might work in hip cities but that's an irrelevant part looking at the big picture. Sure they could impose this new 'thing' but would it work? I doubt it... not everywhere.

10-10-2012
V.I.P.

I concur with mistress_f, working in luxury retail management I totally see your point and it is correct ! The problem with these clothes they are stale and easily available at Topman or Zara. These looks would look fresh circa 2005, 8 years on, the skinny rocker look has been done to death a thousand times and is easily seen in mainstream fashion, so there is no novelty,Hedi seems trapped in time.

11-10-2012
front row

" I heard so much about my proportions, and how absurd and unsuccessful, for instance, my skinny jeans and silhouette would be. I also heard about my lack of definition in masculinity, as I was aiming to try another definition. I also was questioned about my attraction to music, as I still believe there is no fashion without music. Marie Antoinette knew better when she fetched Gluck to Versailles, to try her new wardrobe on the dance floor. Nothing will ever change. Fashion = music + youth + sex. This is what my menswear and my style were always about. " - hedi slimane (style.com)

i think the above quote sums it up nicely, as you can see the housewife will probably need to look elsewhere unless she can fit a size 0 and is planning on killing it on the dancefloor

11-10-2012
tfs star

It's ridiculous how the slimness of his jeans were always highlighted to an extreme - they were neither very low-rise, nor were they so skinny that nobody was able to fit them... Much like Helmut Lang's reputation for a somewhat strict, linear sense of cutting, Hedi's proportions were eventually regarded as mainstream and in fact, a lot of the denim designed elsewhere eventually got tighter, rather than the other way around.

It's stupid to insist on Slimane's slender cuts as being such a trademark (particularly in womenswear) when we see tight fitting jackets and trousers in so many other collections in so many other designer's repertoire - Everybody's fit for the runway is rail-thin and it's common sense that production fittings are a whole different story. Regardless of, he will prove very unsuccessful if all he can bring to the table is a wardrobe that works on waif-like fashion editors and It-girls. My recent link comment of Nicolas Guesquière only proves that very well.

11-10-2012
front row

...as a former Balenciaga & DH client, I must disagree with you.. a lot of designers and yes high street chains have attempted the slim/skinny look but it really takes creative skillful tailoring to make the fit work and be comfortable (especially for a man). hedi has been perfecting this for years and i believe it shows in fit. your link proved Guesquiere got it wrong and i can testify it was indeed. I am not btw an apologist for skinny in clothing, I've personally moved on and appreciate volume. This particular line is a sub-line, a kind of on going experiment and tribute to his skinny legacy, it does not mean the main Saint Laurent line will focus on skinny, although over-sized like you mentioned is perhaps unlikely, let's not take things too far...

11-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
I heard so much about my proportions, and how absurd and unsuccessful, for instance, my skinny jeans and silhouette would be. I also heard about my lack of definition in masculinity, as I was aiming to try another definition. I also was questioned about my attraction to music, as I still believe there is no fashion without music. Marie Antoinette knew better when she fetched Gluck to Versailles, to try her new wardrobe on the dance floor. Nothing will ever change. Fashion = music + youth + sex. This is what my menswear and my style were always about. "[/I] - hedi slimane (style.com)

i think the above quote sums it up nicely, as you can see the housewife will probably need to look elsewhere unless she can fit a size 0 and is planning on killing it on the dancefloor

Bravo! YSL costumers all around the world are rejoicing right as we speak at this new, progressive and all-embracing approach to fashion.

11-10-2012
front row

huh?! since when has high-fashion ever been "all-embracing"???!!
it's by very definition exclusive.. that is one thing that has never changed even at YSL..

11-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izreal View Post
" I heard so much about my proportions, and how absurd and unsuccessful, for instance, my skinny jeans and silhouette would be. I also heard about my lack of definition in masculinity, as I was aiming to try another definition. I also was questioned about my attraction to music, as I still believe there is no fashion without music. Marie Antoinette knew better when she fetched Gluck to Versailles, to try her new wardrobe on the dance floor. Nothing will ever change. Fashion = music + youth + sex. This is what my menswear and my style were always about. " - hedi slimane (style.com)

well the problem seems to be that his idea of youth and music never changed... it was prepubescent boys and dirty indie rock back then at Dior Homme, it's still the same here.

11-10-2012
V.I.P.

Topshop and Zara design teams have already viewed this thread and saved the photos. Period

backstage pass

Quote:
[I]"

It's funny to think that they will only stock clothing in size 0. Maybe in Europe, but here in the states most high end stores go to 6, 8 and even 10 and 12!
And not for anything, this is means. I can attest to the fact that YSL always stocks more than size 30 and will continue to do so. Unless they only want to sell to sample sizes, which will really hurt business...

Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TianCouture View Post
It's funny to think that they will only stock clothing in size 0. Maybe in Europe, but here in the states most high end stores go to 6, 8 and even 10 and 12!
And not for anything, this is means. I can attest to the fact that YSL always stocks more than size 30 and will continue to do so. Unless they only want to sell to sample sizes, which will really hurt business...
that's what i've been saying in my last few posts... they sell a wide range of sizes here, see my rant on their clientele... if they stop doing so they'll have to shut down in many cities

11-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_f View Post
that's what i've been saying in my last few posts... they sell a wide range of sizes here, see my rant on their clientele... if they stop doing so they'll have to shut down in many cities
Couldn't agree more, but the OP doesn't seem to agree. And I have no idea what I was trying to say when I typed "And not for anything, this is means." Still have not had my morning coffee....

fashion insider

Quote:
huh?! since when has high-fashion ever been "all-embracing"???!!
it's by very definition exclusive.. that is one thing that has never changed even at YSL..

If this was haute couture (or at least, the other SLP thread), you could have had a point.. See, all these rich, mostly old ladies that can afford said HC or true high fashion, are always looking for that feeling of exclusivity and uniqueness that characterizes these particular areas of fashion.

A separate "exclusive" (my a$$) collection that targets an entirely new type of customer? This one looks bleak. Why? Because the clothes only work on barely-legal twinks serving Christiane F. realness, when LBR, kids like that still live with their moms and most likely will never afford "high fashion".

The fire in Hedi's pants doesn't exactly translate into shrewd creativity or market awareness.

PS. Perhaps another clothing line designed for adult men with adult needs but with a rock n' roll attitude? Oh lookie, I just described Jamie Hince.

Last edited by Morphe; 11-10-2012 at 03:05 PM.
12-10-2012
V.I.P.

I just realise that he is the second worst comeback after Tom Ford. While this is nice and all but just feel like he hasn't move forward and stuck in time like Tom Ford!

Just wish he offer something new and inspirational but still this is nice!

12-10-2012
front row

^ quite ironic you say that considering Tom Ford is the sole reason he left YSL in the first place

Three years later, in 1999, when Tom Ford rode in from Italy on the back of Gucci Group and annexed Saint Laurent ready-to-wear, Slimane decided to call it quits. "I was really sad because I loved very much to be around the original house," he says. "They were really wonderful people. Difficult, but so amazing, so true. But it was my choice to leave. I could have stayed, but I felt the new house would just become a branding opportunity. I didn't know exactly what was going to happen. They (Gucci Group) were trying to tell me, but I couldn't feel for what they had in mind. As a result, I thought 'Let's get out of here.'"
hintmag.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphe View Post

A separate "exclusive" (my a$$) collection that targets an entirely new type of customer? This one looks bleak. Why? Because the clothes only work on barely-legal twinks serving Christiane F. realness, when LBR, kids like that still live with their moms and most likely will never afford "high fashion".
..except if mom (and dad) are loaded to the brinks... you are forgetting the zillion less than zero young adults which this is clearly talking to

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, laurent, lookbook, mens, s or s, saint, skinny line