How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-01-2013
fashion insider

Looks like Topshop's usual offerings, it's nice and wearable but completely irrelevant to Saint Laurent.The quality is highly debatable too.

14-01-2013
tfs star

It's fine that he picks up on the lush 70ies jet set days that were the heydays of Saint Laurent and I certainly don't mind the blackness of it all, yet at the same time, that does not hide the fact that Hedi's dressmaking skills are nothing but two dimensional and heavy handed - Some of these numbers come close to the kitsch of Azzaro, I find that questionable for a designer with such a precise and rigorous hand as Slimane.

Tailoring is where he's an unrivaled master of his trade and I'm sure the collection does not disappoint in that department (would have loved to see more of that in the shoot, though that double breasted peak lapeled jacket with silver buttons looks very nice), or anything that comes close to the cool of his original menswear-for-women concept that made him famous in the first place. Anything else, I really couldn't care less about.

14-01-2013
V.I.P.

It looks good imo though... but might not be the absolute best

Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoiste View Post
And this is Saint Laurent woman ? Really ? I think true Yves Saint Laurent woman - sophisticated, mysterious and passionate is gone. Now we see Sky Ferreira as Saint Laurent woman. There is nothing Parisian left, i see those clothes only on LA girls...
this is how i feel about this.
and i thought - opening the thread - that i'd see just an usual lookbook with clothes that resembled the s/s collection. I have been greeted by a trendy V Mag editorial. Thank you but no. You can't even properly see the clothes and what i can see, as someone said before, looks like topshop. I'm still waiting to be impressed.

i'd like to quote hedi on this collection, if i may:

Quote:
It is an ongoing tragedy of cheap fashion on cheap celebrities, followed by ubercheap comments. I only like designers’ clothes on models.
which pretty much sums it up nicely

14-01-2013
fashion insider

Hmmm....other than some really nicely tailored but standard outerwear that are wearable, I don't see anything here that floors me in design, not to mention a design concept that translates the cool elegance of YSL into a modern Parisian house.

14-01-2013
V.I.P.

LOOOOOOOOOOL, the clothes are not bad per se, but its very amateur and childish, it honestly looks like some junior line aimed at 16 or 17 year old girls in the valley. The problem is, with a huge historic house like YSL, this is very very poor. I honestly do not see Hedi lasting more than 2 seasons. In that event, I do hope, they hire Nicolas Ghesquire for YSL.

14-01-2013
rising star

Monsieur Slimane proves yet again, that he is or has become very one dimensional. This is nice in a "mass market/generic" sense but not for the current high fashion scene or YSL (SL) for that matter. I cannot understand this idea of making clothes that only appeal to young people and the total alienation of YSL's older clients who can actually afford the clothes. Where has all the elegance gone? This screams L.A and Zara/Topshop look book to me. They certainly would have no problem copying this i.e if they haven't done this several times already. The whole idea of making it look like an editorial is very distracting. Since this is a pre-fall collection, I would still keep my hopes up that he would prove me wrong with the main collection. But as it stands now, I completely loathe the direction he is steering the house in. I like the cape though.

14-01-2013
fashion elite

i wish i could actually see the clothes... what a novel thought...

14-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco54 View Post
I honestly do not see Hedi lasting more than 2 seasons. In that event, I do hope, they hire Nicolas Ghesquire for YSL.
You people need to stop with this nonsense, why on earth would they fire him? The collection is all over magazines, selling like crazy and making headlines. He's not going anywhere.

front row

it doesn't look Yves Saint Laurent but its very Parisian to me especially the dark mood i see it very street chic in Paris and I can see that voguette fr could copy those items one or another

14-01-2013
V.I.P.

of course Hedi would be HER to shoot, the most useless singer ever who keeps on releasing singles and EPs without having ANY kind of proper success or even a full length album

14-01-2013
trendsetter

Usually it's high street brands taking "inspiration" from high fashion designers, in Slimane's case it's the other way around. This is just Topshop in better fabrics. But it will sell and I guess that's what really matters to PPR. Such a shame.

14-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
You people need to stop with this nonsense, why on earth would they fire him? The collection is all over magazines, selling like crazy and making headlines. He's not going anywhere.
Firstly, I am entitled to my opinion , secondly I have not seen his collection "allover" . It is not nonsense at all, high fashion is a cut throat industry if your producing forever 21 level clothing under YSL, its just not going to cut it. Honestly at the rate Hedi is going, he will not last long.

14-01-2013
Hell on Heels

^ while i agree that his work has been dreadful so far, this is probably going to sell so much and that's what matters so i don't see hedi going anywhere in the near future

16-01-2013
V.I.P.

is there anywhere where this collection can be seen in colour and the focus is on the clothes not the girl?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, laurent, prefall, saint