How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-10-2012
etre soi-meme

strange enough
#Hedi or #SL or #YSL did not managed to 'trend' on twitter

i'd love to know how IHT and NYT will treat this one

#advertising_budget

01-10-2012
front row

I don't hate it. It's pretty, that is all. Nothing special though.

01-10-2012
tailored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphe View Post
I like how everyone just seems to have forgotten about Tom Ford. :p

this.

just went back and looked at ysl spring 2002...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
But yes, I do worry about the sales, the factories, the jobs, too...
Don't worry at all, socialites and ADR will be all over this so at least those people's jobs are safe.

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
Even Tom Ford did a better homage to Betty back in 2001 which speaks volumes imo.
fact
(loved the even)

01-10-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogepma View Post
I am already drinking on his behalf here . But in all seriousness, I still feel bad that Stefano left but I think his new position at Zegna is more exciting (no Pierre Berge bothering him). The funny thing is that Stefano produced YSL's best result in almost 16 years just before he left.
I agree. I think Pilati remains the best designer this house has seen since Yves himself. But, yes, I'm looking forward very much to see what he'll be doing for Zegna.

I'm thinking Saint Laurent will probably end up like Dior in the latter years of Galliano's tenure there: profitable irrelevance. This show is as satisfying as a cheeseburger at McDonald's.

Last edited by Uemarasan; 01-10-2012 at 04:05 PM.
01-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
Don't worry at all, socialites and ADR will be all over this so at least those people's jobs are safe.
It'll be such an eyesore for the next year...

I went back to check out Tom Ford's 2002 YSL, and it seems that's where Hedi Slimane drew his inspiration. Pilati really brought class to YSL for the past 10 years, even though he had endured a lot of flack. If Chanel were smarter, they should have snapped him up...but Chanel is a very staunch, loyal, family-type of House.

Last edited by Zazie; 01-10-2012 at 04:12 PM.
01-10-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_f View Post
I'd throw a little current-Valentino there. Great PR work that makes those boring, irrelevant dresses appear in every event / red carpet / editorial but leaves you with absolutely nothing.
Good point! Funny how I always forget about Valentino :p

01-10-2012
fashion insider

The flounces, boxy shapes, transparencies, dots, all over the catwalk this season seems like a Pilati tribute, in particular Balenciaga and Givenchy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPCC2UtOheo

01-10-2012
V.I.P.

Uninspired and dated show. When everyone else is focusing on the cut and art of construction in fashion, Hedi is putting out this?

I'm starting to question Hedi's talent. He seems to design for photographs and visuals rather than for women and for reality. His vision exists only in 2D and this collection is a perfect example of that vision fails to translate.

Worst of all, nothing in this collection holds any visual weight anyway. It all looks like the work of a stylist who was assigned to pull clothes for a Anita Pallenberg / Betty Catroux / Kate Moss photoshoot.

Furthermore, the concept was extremely weak. Frida Giannni does this kind of thing much better (Fall 2008, Fall 2011, Fall 2012), as does Roberto Cavalli and even Chanel.

It makes me sad to think the YSL woman will go from being impeccable in couture shapes and exquisite tailoring, to this, which is absolutely not chic or elegant in any way whatsoever.

01-10-2012
front row

I knew it would be mostly black and white. It's a nice collection, but Yves wasn't just bohemian, he had probably the most amazing sense of color of any human being ever born. And I hate Hedi Slimane because his stuff is always so black and white, I don't understand why such a colorful brand would hire him. Just look at his photography, I don't htink he's ever done a photoshoot that wasn't in black and white. And also, this just seems too LA to me which I knew it would be.

01-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Apparently, Slimane paid homage to Betty Catroux.
and surely his other muse Loulou de La Falaise. To me its a mix of both.

style.com

I like the collection because I like this "look" but it could be designed by anyone. What I don't like is that this doesn't feel like a Spring/Summer collection.

I know we aren't professional critics here but how embarrassing that your collection is getting compared to Rachel Zoe's (who I love as much as the next person but come on).

01-10-2012
V.I.P.

whoever said that it reminds them of Cavalli, i kind of agree. in general, it looks rather Italian, more so than French.

i had an issue with Pilati for designing clothes that, at times, looked a bit too stiff, not sensual enough, but this is just limp compared to the Parisian precision.

there's just... so much drapery, which i'm not really used to outside of Milan.

in the end, it looks good, but it doesn't make me go 'wooooow' (as i think we all expected to do)

01-10-2012
V.I.P.

blazers and skinny low rise black pants lol, I am sorry but this was very derivative and I can find this at Forever 21. The pants were very boring. Overall very over hyped along with Dior, as far as I am concerned Haider Ackermann was the best in Paris

01-10-2012
V.I.P.

Wow....with all the review given in here, Hedi should check it out and may learn something lol

I don't care much for the floor length dresses but the rest I like. Look forward to see them in details.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, laurent, paris, s or s, saint