How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-10-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
Some of the pieces from this collection are rather nice but as a whole I'm just not crazy about it. I don't really like the bohemian vibe from the collection, it seems a bit stale and so incredibly mass commercialized (through other brands and such) it doesn't feel luxurious. And since Saint Laurent is suppose to be a luxury brand, I'm so not feeling that from the collection. It seems more like the type of clothes that Hedi's LA buddy's would wear.
Exactly!

04-10-2012
V.I.P.

can someone with a wwd subscription post this new article here? seems like retailers love the collection...

Quote:
Opinions Vary on Hedi Slimane's YSL
While the designer’s big debut garnered largely lukewarm reviews from the press many retail bigwigs raised a finger in objection.
link: http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/desi...eport/20121004

04-10-2012
clever ain't wise

I find it rather annoying that this beautiful collection is clouded by the childish arguments about god knows what....

04-10-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty33r1b View Post
can someone with a wwd subscription post this new article here? seems like retailers love the collection...

link: http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/desi...eport/20121004
Obviously, they love it. This collection is made for the It Girls.

04-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
I find it rather annoying that this beautiful collection is clouded by the childish arguments about god knows what....
It's quite obvious that people are not finding it quite as beautiful as you do and some of them are passionate and want to express their opinions. What I find annoying is that sometimes I get the feeling that discussion is going to be prohibited at some point and this forum will become a fashion photography archive.

V.I.P.

Pretty sure iluvjeisa is talking about the arguments between Hedi and Cathy Horyn, not here on TFS

04-10-2012
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
It's quite obvious that people are not finding it quite as beautiful as you do and some of them are passionate and want to express their opinions. What I find annoying is that sometimes I get the feeling that discussion is going to be prohibited at some point and this forum will become a fashion photography archive.
Oh, I didn't mean that people here were childish...now I see that's the most logical interpretation of what I said I was referring to SL and CH and whatnot. Especially the SL tweet was detracting from what I think is a wonderful collection - a homage that is more to my liking that TF's.

I don't want tFS to be a shrine of worship or an archive only and I love discussion, will always be a defender of it, in fact.

04-10-2012
V.I.P.

In that case I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. And yes eventhough I'm not a fan of the collection I agree that the Cathy Horyn arguments should be kept for Rumour Has It. This thread should be solely about the collection.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
In that case I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. And yes eventhough I'm not a fan of the collection I agree that the Cathy Horyn arguments should be kept for Rumour Has It. This thread should be solely about the collection.
But what is the proper on-topic scope of a thread/discussion/archive of a tfs thread? The discussion, I believe, must extend to the designer and what their inspirations were; their mindset; their proposal for where sartorial codes should go. For me, that is what I am looking to read from a collection when I feel and analyse it's visual message relating to body, form, elegance, colour auras, sex, edge, deportment, attitude.

All of that filters into the reception of and further visual schema associated with the collection. The campaigns and editorials which, in the system, disseminate and interprate the message of the collection. And then, if you must celebrity, and street style, captures of the way the message was lived in social reality until SS13 gets to the sale racks and/or the nights start to draw intowards (omg) 2014.

So I see that forums (fora?) may be expansive in their scope. Not to die the day after we see the clothes and state an early gut reaction (often the best but do have an open mind) But inclusive of the reception of the collection (of which we are a small but hopefully growing corner) and it's scopic regime dispersal (campaigns and editorials) and translation onto racks in living bodies in real time and down (or up) into sales figures.

Now please do not get the wrong end of the stick here mods. I believe my proposal here amounts to a loose, expansive type of scope inclusive moderation. A bit perhaps like Celine's SS13 proposal to loosen the knots along with Miuccias crumpling and fur spa towels at MiuMiu and Ricks ephemeral urban beach smocking connecting to Yohji's urban japonisme sarongs. We might say life's an urban beach. If we can get there. In ss13. Season of natural clean nudes and light. The beauty of the shrouded nude - in nature.

And this bit is on topic because if the strange darkness proposal for SS13 is not accepted - because the polar view is preferred - in campaigns, editorials and shops then New (Y)SLimane by Hedi Slimane photographed by Hedi Slimane starring Hedi Slimane, in all it's blackness, will flop.

I for one am feeling the light. Though it is dimmed, refracted (or bleached holy). Blushes of natural colour - sands, seas, golds, bronzes, nudes. Clean. Pure. Ecstatic. And irony on irony it could be Rick Owens who just about takes the top award. With Protege Gareth softening in his progression alongside. These were the Lords of Darkness but soft for stand aside curtain raised for the New Lordof darkness (Mr Slimane)

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief
That thou, her maid, art far more fair than she.

Romeo And Juliet Act 2, scene 2, 2–6

Last edited by Tentacl Ventricl; 04-10-2012 at 10:37 AM.
04-10-2012
backstage pass

Oh - I forgot the conclude to that which I quoted. So - because a collection thread may also be about the reception of the collection, which includes understanding a designer (particularly one new to womenswear at this level) his character - revealed in his spats and tweets - is a lot to do with how we read the collection. The question would we (you) like him to dress you is a new one and ongoing one, for this collection, on into 2013. What is he like? Do we accept his proposal? That we should dress to his eye. His black eye

04-10-2012
scenester

the thing is, it just seems so much noise for a collection that,were it not for the name nobody would actually be talking about- it's neither good or bad, it just means nothing

05-10-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Probably that the collection isn't that interesting. But really, in all the time I've been following fashion, this is the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen a designer do in a professional context, so it's naturally going to garner attention.

Apparently he's unaware that living well (e.g., commercial success) is the best revenge There's a great deal of power in silence ... I used it to effect myself this week, and the person who attacked me was left looking like a jacka$$. Not that I think Cathy has 'attacked' him by any means ...

I also think it's pretty silly to claim you were the first to do just about anything in fashion. Popularize something, perhaps, but invent it? Dream on, in the vast majority of cases.

I thought Lisa Armstrong's piece was a pretty good example of how to write about the fact that you weren't invited to a show. It seems that Cathy is just one of many who weren't invited by the new bizarro YSL team ...

05-10-2012
backstage pass

I miss Pilati.
This collection is nothing new. It is a boring and cheap collection. I do see some YSL-ish looks.
It is not modern. Love the idea of the hats for every look though.

What is going on with Saint Laurent? I dont see any good changes with the House.
I mean first the name- obviously a bad idea and the creative director -Heidi Slimane.

I dont care about the designer's behavior as long as he/she produces good collections,
but Heidi is just bad at everything. YSL has turned into a really cheap brand. The advert campaign is already bad enough and now the collection- Stefano please!

05-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Probably that the collection isn't that interesting. But really, in all the time I've been following fashion, this is the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen a designer do in a professional context, so it's naturally going to garner attention.

Apparently he's unaware that living well (e.g., commercial success) is the best revenge There's a great deal of power in silence ... I used it to effect myself this week, and the person who attacked me was left looking like a jacka$$. Not that I think Cathy has 'attacked' him by any means ...

I also think it's pretty silly to claim you were the first to do just about anything in fashion. Popularize something, perhaps, but invent it? Dream on, in the vast majority of cases.

I thought Lisa Armstrong's piece was a pretty good example of how to write about the fact that you weren't invited to a show. It seems that Cathy is just one of many who weren't invited by the new bizarro YSL team...
I wonder who he will invite next season, there hasn't been one good review this time and I suspect many won't be invited back. seems like he's building himself an ivory tower where no criticism whatsoever is allowed....

05-10-2012
backstage pass

Hedi Slimane used to be this shy, very talented designer, but now he is just a diva.

I am sure the collection will sell well, if women want to look like Mrs Catroux in the 70s, they know where to shop now....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, laurent, paris, s or s, saint