How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-12-2013
backstage pass

^^^ I may be totally off-- so please do correct me if I am, but those who are pardoning his juvenile remarks and attitude seem to think those of us who find him unbearable are just being PC and nothing more. That's definitely not the case, for me. I respect directness-- even to the point of bluntness, in people. The Nicolas Ghesquiere and Marie Amelie Suave System interview is how individuals whom are thoughtful, respectable and mature get their points across how frustrating, even nasty the industry can be in a candid and honest manner. This guy is the opposite of that.

I don't know him personally. So I have to judge him on those interviews; who knows, maybe he's the coolest and most considerate person in the USA. But based on the Details bit, he's coming off so smug and full of himself, ungrateful and utterly charmless. As mentioned, no one is forcing him to participate in the "horse and pony" show. So either get out, or find a way to make it better somehow.

I have close friends who are designers who would love to participate in the "horse and pony" show just to get their wear out there. These are immensely talented designers whom have all contributed to the most high profile fashion publications, and are commissioned by the leading stylists and work with the most visionary photographers. Because their designs aren't anything close to conventional wear, they have a very hard time making a profit from it. Investors are reluctant to take a chance on them, and they know all about the difficulties and hardships of the industry. But, they still wish to have the opportunity to afford a "horse and pony" show. Yet this guy slams the industry like a spoiled, petulant brat. That's why I find him so ungrateful. My friends are the people that need a new warm coat because their old one is falling apart but they still can't afford one; while this guy is complaining about not wanting any coats out their because they're all "retarded", "gay", and for "sissies". That's why I think he's such a little man. Not because I disagree with him, or feel he's out of line for biting the hand that feeds him.

This guy comes off as nothing more than a typical douche, to put it bluntly. He's not brave.

20-12-2013
El Viaje Definitivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
get over the word retarded-
every single thing he said is true...
and it's nice for me to hear someone say it out loud for a change...

market editors, bloggers and PR people are not the creatives in the industry...
and most of them could not tell you what a dirndl skirt is or come up with an original idea...
they are just part of the spectacle that stirs the pot enough to get some designers some media attention which makes scared buyers think that people will purchase the designers' clothes...
because buyers get fired if the clothes they buy don't sell...
this makes them afraid to take risks on smaller or unknown brands...
and a great deal of the public are sheep who follow what other people wear- no matter how much they claim to have some sort of individual personal style...
in reality, most don't...
they are mimics...

this makes the whole circus a necessary evil...
but it doesn't make it any less evil...
and it doesn't feel any less like selling your soul (if you have integrity)...

it's incredibly unpalatable to a great many creatives/designers/etc...
to have to make small talk with air-brained girls and guys who have no idea about fashion or design or anything much at all...blah blah blah....smile for the camera....blah blah blah...

being a designer should not mean you must be a public figure and learn to tap dance...
if you enjoy that- fine...
it works for tom ford, sure...
but it backfired on john galliano...
and it killed alexander mcqueen...
which one do you think is the real talent of that group...?

pay attention...fashion is dying...
what passes for fashion these days is laughable...
* if you have any doubt about this- take a look at the tFS homepage...

no one should really be surprised at this, imho...
what is surprising is that this guy was brave enough to say it out loud and in public...
apart from bread and circuses more and more relevant to fashion, yes what's serious is the lack of alternative way to let talents like mcqueen stay.
seems like we still don't revive or think up sure devices to show rarity as it is, present negative film without reversal, without molding ellipse into circle, without making moth behave like butterfly, and let stars shine in the dark.

Let the stars decide
20-12-2013
flaunt the imperfection

phuel-
perhaps english is not your first language-
but i have to correct you that the phrase is 'dog and pony show'...
and it does not refer to a fashion show at all...
it refers to something that is an over-the-top spectacle...
something like a circus...

wikipedia-
"Dog and pony show" is a colloquial term which has come to mean a highly promoted, often over-staged performance, presentation, or event designed to sway or convince opinion for political, or less often, commercial ends. Typically, the term is used in a pejorative sense to connote disdain, jocular lack of appreciation, or distrust of the message being presented or the efforts undertaken to present it.[1]
The term was originally used in the United States in the late-19th and early-20th centuries to refer to small traveling circuses that toured through small towns and rural areas. The name derives from the common use of performing dogs and ponies as the main attractions of the events.[2] Performances were generally held in open-air arenas, such as race tracks or public spaces in localities that were too small or remote to attract larger, more elaborate performers or performances. By the latter part of the 20th century, the original meaning of the term had largely been lost.

i often hear people refer to presenting clothes or concepts to a client as a 'dog and pony show'...
you sort of have to put on a show in order to convince them or sell them the idea or the collection or whatever...
THAT is a 'dog and pony show'...
and, believe me...some people are just better at it than others...
but it doesn't mean the work isn't good...

but it has nothing to do with having enough funding to put on a fashion show...
it's about having to put on an ACT...
being phony and fake and nice-y nice to the media, buyers, etc...

more often than not, the most talented designers/creatives are no good at the dog and pony show...
the ACT...the BS...

that's all...

it's an odd business because business is often disguised as some sort of friendship or something social...
it's all very sleazy, actually...it's not really elegant at all...

*if you notice- i made no comment on him as a human, only commented on his comments, and his actions as described in this thread......

Last edited by softgrey; 20-12-2013 at 01:08 PM.
20-12-2013
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
apart from bread and circuses more and more relevant to fashion, yes what's serious is the lack of alternative way to let talents like mcqueen stay.
seems like we still don't revive or think up sure devices to show rarity as it is, present negative film without reversal, without molding ellipse into circle, without making moth behave like butterfly, and let stars shine in the dark.
yes- that's what i mean...

it's all going away now isn't it?
we're losing them all...one by one...
even the ones who have actually managed to succeed are choosing to leave...
jil, ann, helmut, margiela...mcqueen, etc...

the best advice i would give to any aspiring young designer is to do something else...

20-12-2013
backstage pass

softgrey: Well, english is one of the languages I speak... maybe not as well as I had originally thought, apparently.

As for the "Dog and Pony show: I just as well applied the term to the entire branding of a fashion show. That is, it is there to promote the label-- both as a business, as well as a creative entity. It's a necessary pageant. And that pageant cost a hell of a lot of money,as well as the PR. The aftermath-- or the extension of that pageant, is the necessary networking to build and strengthen your place in the industry. I just see the artistry of the presentation and the aftershow business dealings as intrinsic to one another. I understand that may not be the exact definition of a "horse and pony" show, but that's what fashion shows have become in the industry.

21-12-2013
flaunt the imperfection

yah- but that is why YSL had pierre berge...
someone has to promote the business, yes- but it is practically a full time job just to do that and how are you supposed to be creative if you are preoccupied with selling and $$$...and BS?

that is one major flaw in the system...
it's not a new problem...it's just gotten worse in recent history...

i guess you see it that way because you are part of the new generation who see fashion as more of a business and less as a form of creative expression...
it has become this, i acknowledge ...
but it kind of sucks as a result of this...

too many shows- too many designers/brands- too many clothes...
most of them just different versions of the same thing anyway...
it's completely stupid...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, industry, retarded, scott, slams, sternberg