How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-02-2012
Stitch:the Hand

Sophia Kokosalaki's KORE for Asos
Quote:
The time has almost arrived for Sophia Kokosalaki's Kore line to launch on ASOS.COM. A long-term collaboration between the designer and a community co-operative workshop in Sri Lanka, the collection works to provide a stable income for the all-female local who produce it and the co-operative also reinvests in the community though training and welfare programmes.

"Issues concerning women have always been close to my heart, having grown up with a mother who, as a journalist, was a strong advocate of womens' rights," explains Kokosalaki. "After visiting Sri Lanka, our first support project under Kore is to work with the lace-making ladies to provide a regular income for them and their families. It is also important that Kore helps keep traditional handcrafts alive and viable in an increasingly mechanised world. It is our aim to build on these two major aspects in the future," she continues.

Featuring both dresses and separates, it's the former you're going to be most excited about - with dainty lace necklines, Kokosalaki's signature draping, Ancient Greek marble statue prints, pleats here and there and in a suitable classic colour palette of nude, black and white.
*vogue.co.uk

23-02-2012

23-02-2012

27-02-2012
girl who fell to earth

cool, thanks Scott!

I don't love all of the pieces, but I definitely love the concept.

27-02-2012

i have to say i was pleasantly surprised to see actual artisanship on display in the way of the laces(which sophia is known for) in such an endeavour.

27-02-2012
V.I.P.

There are two black dresses here I'd love to have...Good motives behind the collection too. I love when designers aren't myopic and think about the world at large, not just conceptually, but in pragmatic/practical terms too. e.g., Edun and Organic by John Patrick, and now this.

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asos, kokosalaki, kore, sophia