How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-10-2013
tfs star

The pressure of creating many collections is a very hackneyed argument to explain why the shows are so bad, but it lacks veracity.

In fact, top designers don’t work that hard. I feel much sorrier for those working in their design studios or for less recognized designers. Maybe it’s the pressure of selling more than that of creating many collections (they don’t do resort, pre-fall…), so they go safe to keep the post, and if they don’t, they end up dismissed or working for Theory.

And yes, this season has been terrible. Not a single good show… And I see less talented designers working today. Plus, in less than 5 years the whole fashion arena has changed a lot. The change by itself is not bad, but when it’s for worse…

02-10-2013
V.I.P.

I don't know. I thought Menkes made a fairly convincing case. It's not just designers, of course, but their whole teams, etc.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-fashion/?_r=0

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
02-10-2013
V.I.P.

I liked the collections for spring summer at large, but I thought many of them looked more like collections for fall...

V.I.P.

I'd say no. But it depends on how you look at it.

I feel like like season we had more collections that were just AWFUL. In fact, most of the big brands could qualify for that category. This season, we had few truly awful collections (Rodarte is one that immediately springs to mind) but they were just systematically mediocre across the board. So which is worse?

fashion insider

I think worse, because for fall there were some items I wanted and untill now I haven't seen anything I want for next summer.

rising star

So much Worse.

Rei Kawakubo said she couldn't think of anything new so she did not make any clothes. And that's not because she's not creative enough obviously. It's because nothing new feels new and nothing old feels new. Nothing feels.

I don't know if and when we're going to see a "good" season. It has something to do with the overload of designers and overload of collections, but that can't be changed or stopped in the age of internet and social media.

I have to keep some optimism but as someone said here, it feels like a chore to view the collections, not fun and exciting anymore.

04-10-2013
rising star

I feel like they tie. All the demands for a new collection every three months, definitely dries the designer and the team up. It doesn't even allow them to properly come up with a decent selection of techniques/manipulations that makes the collection unique. No matter how big and resourceful the brand is, the brain behind the creativity needs to rest in order to use those resources properly. If the demands of wanting something "new" continue or hikes, I think we will be asking ourselves if F/W 14 is the worst of all, which I certainly hope is not.

trendsetter

I'm thinking of this too, fashion week seems downgrade for resent years, 2-3 years at least, for the sake of economic crisis?

fashion icon

MUCH worse. Not one collection this season that was truly exciting.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, 14, fall or winter, spring or summer, worse