How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-10-2013
.my prison is your brain.

Spring/Summer 14 Better or Worse than Fall/Winter 13.14?
So last season we had this thread Fall/Winter 2013.14 - One Of The Worst Seasons Ever?:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f60...er-225563.html

General consensus was that it was extremely weak.

So, was the current Spring/Summer 2014 season better or worse than the last one?

Feel free to discuss any other post-season reflections regarding Designers & Colletions as well!

02-10-2013
front row

I thought F/W 13.14 was a really beautiful season. I loved Louis Vuitton, Prada, Miu Miu, Dior and even Saint Laurent. This season, however, the big houses in Paris just follow eachother's steps of presenting shockingly bland and bad collections. The NYfw is a bit better than last one imo.

02-10-2013
V.I.P.

This season is a bit better, but not much.

02-10-2013
backstage pass

Worse. A LOT worse.

Last season there were disappointments in major houses with only a few delivering stellar shows, and smaller designers doing the rest. This season has not only been disappointing but also disconcertingly awful, with only a minuscule amount of "great" shows, a vast majority being monotonous to the point of instantly forgettable, and a ludicrous amount of repugnant. A lot of top players - Céline, Dior, Jil Sander, Prada, Givenchy, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Christopher Kane, Proenza Schouler, Alexander McQueen amongst many more - failed to impress, delivering either disappointing or nauseating collections. Some being the worst shows I've ever seen in fashion or from those designers; Rodarte, Saint Laurent, Marc Jacobs, and Lanvin being chief among them.

Outside the clothes themselves, this season lacked any electricity. There were no positive "OMG!" moments, for me anyways. Here in NY the mood at Lincoln Center was doleful. Others that also attended or worked at shows here in NY echoed this sentiment. It felt routine and kind of a drag. Show productions were also wanting. There were a few grand sets (Dior's, Chanel's, Prada's, Givenchy's, and Louis Vuitton), but the clothes failed to impress making the sets kind of a waste. The only thing that came close to a impressive production was Rick Owens, but the trite ill-fitted (Owne's, not the model's, fault) clothes and the sloppiest stepping I've ever seen made it all more of a gimmick than a show.

By the time Paris came around it felt like a task to check the shows instead of the joy it usually is.

02-10-2013
backstage pass

100 % worse than fall/winter 13/14. Such a let downs from big brands......

02-10-2013
V.I.P.

Definitely worse, I thought only a few houses (Prada) were better than last season.
And I like F/W better in general.

02-10-2013
scenester

Getting worse! Most collections are lacking definition and consistency. Going around and around ideas without clear results, too confusing. I'm upset I saw awfull looks from designers I usually like.
Givency was one of the best for me with his draped tribal dresses but i had a bit of sense of deja vue.

02-10-2013
rising star

For me, I think it was significantly worse in New York. London, Milan (especially) and Paris were better. It was extremely hard to find one show to like in New York. Rodarte was of course the leader of the terrible pack of collections in New York this season, followed by Alexander Wang, et al. Most other shows were highly generic as always, I just thought it was worse this season.

On the other side of the Atlantic, London designers continued to prove that there is so much creativity and talent that lacked the financial and commercial know-how to become successful businesses. Milan surprised me, I thought most of the major shows were so good, Bottega Veneta, Prada, Marni and Salvatore Ferragamo especially. And Paris, I thought was mildly better than last season, especially at Givenchy.

02-10-2013
tfs star

I just feel like a lot of designers have been really lazy. When you see collections like Prada and Louis Vuitton all of these other basic collections really have no excuse for being that way. I don't know if the fear of the economy is creeping in or people are just being flat out lazy.

02-10-2013
.my prison is your brain.

I agree with the majority of you, for me it was much worse. At least last season some of the smaller labels were filling the void for me, but this season I wasn't impressed much by their efforts either.

02-10-2013
rising star

Most of us (including me) seem to agree that F/W was rather bad and S/S isn't better.
Why is that? Where are all the exciting shows gone? Who or what is to blame?

02-10-2013
V.I.P.

It was worse imo.

I think a couple of interesting considerations are as follows:

1. Is this a sign that the pressure on designers to create too many collections (pre-season, resort, etc.) is starting to impact their work??

2. Is the musical-designers game causing houses/collections to have identity crises? What is Balenciaga, Dior, Saint Laurent, MMM, McQueen (unique case)... etc. It seems at least half the complaints about these collection is about "faithfulness" and identity.

It's arguable that some of the best shows/work is done by the stalwarts - the designers who do what they do, and they do it well (Westwood, Demeulemeester, Lemaire, Yamamoto, Howell, Kane, Preen, Erdem, No. 21, Rodriguez, etc...) Maybe it's about having a strong sense of fashion identity.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
02-10-2013
V.I.P.

definitely worse

all of the top collections were pretty rubbish imo, i only liked the smaller brands. i also thought new york was the best city. which i rarely do.

front row

I thought the bigger houses flopped the hardest this season. But then again I love fall collections opposed to spring. The likes of Alexander McQueen, Chanel, Rodarte, Dior, Saint Laurent etc

02-10-2013
fashion icon

much worse

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, 14, fall or winter, spring or summer, worse