How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-01-2009
V.I.P.

26-01-2009
V.I.P.

windowshopping

PARIS – French designer Stephane Rolland made his debut Monday as a full member of the elite club of grands couturiers, sending out an imaginative collection of cocktail dresses and evening gowns that played on bold beadwork and unexpected elements like bustles and capes.
Rolland cited Constantin Brancusi as an inspiration for the collection shown on the opening day of Paris haute couture week, and the influence of the Romanian-born sculptor was clear in the show's big, bold volumes and harmonious lines.
A stiff cone-shape panel emerged from the bust of a strapless shift dress and, curling ingeniously around itself, attached to the hemline.
Another shift dress in fire engine red had a bustle-like drapery that emerged from the shoulders and attached to the hemline, creating a sort of chic superhero cape. One show-stopping look improbably melded a one-shoulder evening gown with a pantsuit.
Lozenge-shaped leather discs covered a sleeveless organza evening gown in an intricate scale pattern.
Artful mosaic beadwork also adorned the hemline of many of the other floor-length dresses, making tinkling sounds as the models strutted their stuff. At the end, the catwalk was littered with sparkling beads and rhinestones that had popped off during the show.
The collection, which opened with 10 little back dresses, was heavier on daywear than most haute couture shows, in what was perhaps a concession to the current hard economic times.
But don't tell that to Rolland. The designer bristled at talk of the economy, saying he was "sick and tired of hearing the word 'crisis.'"
"That word is like a hammer that keeps hitting me on the head till I fall down," said Rolland. "We have to fight and the best way to do that is to go ahead and be positive."
Monday's show, which was held in the Palais de Tokyo, was Rolland's first since being admitted to the select group of haute couture labels. Rolland, a former designer for French house Jean-Louis Scherrer, had previously shown his haute couture line as an invited member — not an official one.
Other official members include heavy hitters like Chanel, Christian Dior, Christian Lacroix and Givenchy

26-01-2009
trendsetter

I really like the last four in #14.

Thank you Edie for posting these, by the way. I wish I could give you karma but it won't let me.

barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlecrush View Post
PARIS – French designer Stephane Rolland made his debut Monday as a full member of the elite club of grands couturiers, sending out an imaginative collection of cocktail dresses and evening gowns that played on bold beadwork and unexpected elements like bustles and capes.
Rolland cited Constantin Brancusi as an inspiration for the collection shown on the opening day of Paris haute couture week, and the influence of the Romanian-born sculptor was clear in the show's big, bold volumes and harmonious lines.
A stiff cone-shape panel emerged from the bust of a strapless shift dress and, curling ingeniously around itself, attached to the hemline.
Another shift dress in fire engine red had a bustle-like drapery that emerged from the shoulders and attached to the hemline, creating a sort of chic superhero cape. One show-stopping look improbably melded a one-shoulder evening gown with a pantsuit.
Lozenge-shaped leather discs covered a sleeveless organza evening gown in an intricate scale pattern.
Artful mosaic beadwork also adorned the hemline of many of the other floor-length dresses, making tinkling sounds as the models strutted their stuff. At the end, the catwalk was littered with sparkling beads and rhinestones that had popped off during the show.
The collection, which opened with 10 little back dresses, was heavier on daywear than most haute couture shows, in what was perhaps a concession to the current hard economic times.
But don't tell that to Rolland. The designer bristled at talk of the economy, saying he was "sick and tired of hearing the word 'crisis.'"
"That word is like a hammer that keeps hitting me on the head till I fall down," said Rolland. "We have to fight and the best way to do that is to go ahead and be positive."
Monday's show, which was held in the Palais de Tokyo, was Rolland's first since being admitted to the select group of haute couture labels. Rolland, a former designer for French house Jean-Louis Scherrer, had previously shown his haute couture line as an invited member — not an official one.
Other official members include heavy hitters like Chanel, Christian Dior, Christian Lacroix and Givenchy
Is that supposed to be a good thing?!?

That's like the antithesis of everything couture is supposed to be about.

26-01-2009
V.I.P.

sooo beautiful!! somehow this whole collection reminds of Lanvin, but in a very good way. very elegant and wearable, and feminine.

26-01-2009
backstage pass

Oh wow this is so beautiful!
Love it!

front row

I was a little put off by the idea of everything falling off or popping off as well here.
I will probably feel differently if I see a video of everything falling off during the show, but either way, it looks brilliant from the catwalk pictures. Thank you, ediewarhol, for all of your kindness in posting them!

trendsetter

This is Dior, Lanvin, Chanel and ODR in one inconsistent package.

26-01-2009
fashion insider

It's stuning, the paper like pleats...the shoulders...the final dress...

26-01-2009
fashion insider

some HQs here

http://content.coutorture.com/2737203

26-01-2009
In Bloom

This is brilliant!

we were in love

26-01-2009
backstage pass

This is FIERCE!!!

scenester

Too much architecture, not enough clothes. When a dress comes to resemble a staircase you know it's gone too far.

backstage pass

beautiful pleating with paper like fabric. and the black jacket with pleated collar on one side..that i am so loving!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
09, couture, haute, paris, rolland, s or s, stephane