How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-08-2005
rising star

Here everyone seems to only talk about Nudie, Lindeberg, Acne, Filippa K and Cheap Monday. Sweden has got many other brands that make creative clothes, for example: http://www.rodebjer.com/ http://www.nakkna.com/

I have a pair of Cheap Monday and I think they are great, I have a hard time finding jeans that fit cause I'm so thin but Cheap Monday fits me great. And you can't expect too much of jeans for 40 Euro. Filippa K is great too, they make high quality basic clothes that you can wear for years.

12-08-2005
windowshopping

Lot of people uses labels as Tiger and J.Lindeberg just for showing people that they've bought something that is more expensive; they only buy shirts and weaters where others can see the logo. This has hurt especially J.Lindebergs rumour a lot.
I would never buy a shirt or sweaterjust for showing the logo! It's so unclassy!

Filippa K and Boomerang do quite basic clothing. But Boomerangs clothes are very "swedish-looking" I think. They are fresh and often quite marine. You can't call it high-fashion, but they definitley do nice clothes!

12-08-2005
windowshopping

What about Julian Red?

12-08-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenberg
Take a walk down Karl Johan in Oslo. 25-30% know their names:p
i meant:

Take a walk down Karl Johan in Oslo. 25-30% of the people won't know their names

12-08-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuomas
Stenberg, I think the only decent shopping in Scandinavia is to be found in Copenhagen. At least there's Storm with Balenciaga, Raf Simons, Dior Homme etc. Helsinki is like Oslo, though the general attitude is getting very very Stockholmian cause all of those Swedish brands, Acne and Filippa K especially, are way too popular among the kids. It's quite funny that none of the REALLY talented Scandinavian designers are appreciated in their own countries. An-Sofie Back has done great collections in London with the stylist Mattias Korlsson for years and Patrik Södestram definitely is worth of following, so why waste time on talking about someone like Johan bloody buggary Lindeberg... And Filippa K, can someone really call a label with Gappish tees and bad Branquinho knock-offs fashion? The Danes have been more kind to their breed of cool brands like Camilla Staerk, Peter Jensen, Henrik Vibskov and WoodWood, though also Denmark is known for awful crap like Bruuns Bazaar and Day, not to mention all that dodgy high street stuff... You Norwegians should be proud of Siv Stoldal, her menswear's absolutely great. Us the Finns haven't had anything to offer after Marimekko's heyday and that was over 30 years ago...SAD!

Very true...Ann Sofie Back has been ignored for years by the Swedish Fashion Elite...for a while now...but she did receive the (swedish) elle fashion awards for best designer this year and mattias got his for best stylist...they were both long-overdue awards even though i am not a fan of awards given their inconsistency, typifying the sort of playground mentality shown towards creative designers.

12-08-2005
?

I'm from Sweden and I think most swedish labels are boring.
The people here just dress all the same everywhere except maybe Stockholm and Gothenburg. Acne is okay for jeans and Filippa K for sweaters,
but there's nothing extraordinary unless you look too the smaller independent designers that they sell at stores like Tjallamalla in Stockholm.

12-08-2005
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaela
What about Julian Red?
Julian Red is not a big label here.
I just heard about it a few months ago, it's not on sale all over Sweden like Cheap Monday and Nudie.

13-08-2005
trendsetter

Anyone else love WE are the superlative conspiracy? They have a store here in LA...on robertson.. its great!
www.wesc.com

13-08-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcj
Anyone else love WE are the superlative conspiracy? They have a store here in LA...on robertson.. its great!
www.wesc.com
Oh my god, no!!! In Sweden all kids in the suburbs wear these sweaters, with the big print in the front! They are just so OUT. Same goes for J.Lindebergs sweaters with the big logo...yuck!

13-08-2005
V.I.P.

isnt H&M Swedish?

13-08-2005
windowshopping

Yes, and I'm very proud of that, even thou they are copycats.

Does Ann-Sofie Back mensclothing? When I first heard of her was when she made the first Acne jean, around 1997. Then I more heard of her in english magazine and so so, but never in Swedish.
They were supposed to take something in, but maybe just girls. Yeayea, proud of her that she made such a name too anyway

14-08-2005
V.I.P.

I think Swedish fashion and Danish fashion just getting better and better. Sweden has many good brands like Johan Lindeberg, Nudie Jeans, Acne Jeans, Tiger Of Sweden, Filippa K, and probably more. Bruuns Bazaar, Day, and Junk De Luxe are also three Danish brands i really like.

14-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizkit
Tuomas, u have Ivana Helsinki.

I rather enjoyed shopping in Copenhagen, especially the smaller shops off the Stroget. Stockholm is not too bad too but I do find the shops too dispersed.
Yep, there's Ivana Helsinki, but her stuff is more retro-inspired streetwear than high fashion. I meant more innovative designers like Swedish Ann-Sofie Back...

14-08-2005
fashion insider

I don't know about Danish brands...

Well, one thing about Sweden thats great that is so small. Tha fashion scene here is not big at all and is easy to see good things when it comes up and theres like no competionen to make it big.

BTW, I was surprised when I saw the Acne thread and not so many so thw greatnes in their jeans...!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by julletman
Yes, and I'm very proud of that, even thou they are copycats.

Does Ann-Sofie Back mensclothing? When I first heard of her was when she made the first Acne jean, around 1997. Then I more heard of her in english magazine and so so, but never in Swedish.
They were supposed to take something in, but maybe just girls. Yeayea, proud of her that she made such a name too anyway
She only does women's stuff and is showing in London, but some pieces can very easily be worn by men. Check out last spring/summer Arena Homme+, they used some of her shirting for men...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothing, swedish