How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-03-2011
front row

does anybody know how well these clothes are actually constructed? real mugler garments have impeccable craftsmanship.

02-03-2011
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Silliest thing I've seen.
was anybody really expecting more than a hot mess full of gimmicks though?

Last edited by ultramarine; 02-03-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: off topic discussion

02-03-2011
vertebrae by vertebrae

this is sad as Mugler is such a legend... one of the great theatrical, technically-skilled saints the fashion world will ever see. he never needed such hype; his work was the statement and show all on it's own. this whole spectacle is a real shame... if Gaga and Formichetti had souls at all, they'd stop reducing the grand legacy of artists like McQueen and Mugler to nothing but insipid gimmicks.

02-03-2011
backstage pass

it wasn't nearly as bad as the menswear..

i found a lot of the the looks to be quite dated, like a 2008 version of modern.. the shoes especially.. i thought we were all finally done with the crazy dominatrix platform shoes.

02-03-2011
fashion insider

I liked the venue...

02-03-2011
V.I.P.

So was that a music video with a little bit of fashion thrown in? Usually when a designer does something like that it smacks of using production values to cover up bad design but actually of the little bit of fashion that I saw, some of the stuff looked kinda interesting.

02-03-2011
front row

After reviewing the collection again, from the link previously posted, I have to say again that I do like a few items.

However, I do have a few complaints.

First, the production (meaning the stage and lighting) was distracting. It was so hard to see the clothes when I watched the show the first time.

Second, I felt like many of the clothes I have seen before. Nothing really new nor creative.

Overall, the show wasn't bad nor was it amazing. It was just... nice. Sort of.

End of my two cents.

Last edited by Persephone G.; 02-03-2011 at 05:48 PM.
02-03-2011
front row

Everything just as expected: unoriginal, (the footwear is so laughable it hurts, and not cause it looks hard to wear...), no bond with Mugler aesthetic and craftsmanship, forgettable, etc

I watched the live stream only cause it was at the right time and I always forget to catch them

it was entertaining i admit it, but only due to my love for those models.

02-03-2011
fashion insider

Do I need to say I don't like this at all?
This was mediocrity at its maximum.
Nothing new or original,I've seen everything here it's just a combination of trends I've seen past seasons.It might sell,it's very wearable which is the best thing I could say about this collection.It's such a shame,this not Thierry Mugler at all.
I know it's not the same person but this new designer should have respected what this house is know for and should have taken a look at the archives.
If I had to describe this in two words there would be : tacky & gothic.
You can tell the inspiration here was the gothic movement,and it's quite obvious because of the lighting and the pointed arches on columns on the runway,very literal,very obvious.

Quote:
if Gaga and Formichetti had souls at all, they'd stop reducing the grand legacy of artists like McQueen and Mugler to nothing but insipid gimmicks.

my thoughts exaclty

technicolor tweed

what complete and utter discombobulation. The clothes (and shoes) were extremely derivative and the presentation was a MESS.

In these garments I do not see Mugler nor do I see the "anatomy of change" HR Giger-ness that was supposed to be the inspiration. Just a lineup of Gaga outfits.

I am only glad that this show was at the beginning of Paris fashion week so there will be a lot more shows coming up to help me forget!!

02-03-2011
windowshopping

I do not think it is as offensively bad as some have made it out to be, but it is definitely not impressive by any scope. The thoroughly confusing runway/lighting was probably the most grating aspect of the show to me (as well as the mesh panels exposing the model's breasts, was that meant to be shocking, playful, seductive? It mostly just looks stupid to me).

Is it really fair to blame Formichetti for taking the position? I would imagine the management of Mugler is more to blame for choosing a stylist to fill a designer's role. I hope this isn't a sign of gimmicks to come

02-03-2011
fashion icon

I think I was supposed to like this, but I didn't at all... It was very gimmicky, so much that I couldn't really see the clothes. And they're nothing groundbreaking either. If Formiccheti wants to do something really Mugler, this is surely not it.
I liked the music, though.

02-03-2011
chaos reigns

OMG! Drama! The soundtrack, the venue! Lots of drama!

Im dissappointed that the only architecture found on the collection which reminisces of actual Mugler is the gothic arches used there.

Its a nice compromise on old school Mugler and whatever the idea Formichetti has of what women wear now ... but Ill have to admit I was expecting more.

Those shoes were CRAZY a lot of the girls struggled with them.

On a word: nothing new under the sun. Lets see how it does til next season.

Will it hold up based mostly on its hype? I dont know.

Oh, and please, please, please do NOT mention whats-her-face any more.

We do appreciate any comments on the collection, but she's considered a model/star/singer so comments about her should go on the Star style forums.

Thank you!

Last edited by ultramarine; 02-03-2011 at 07:53 PM.
02-03-2011
V.I.P.

Ugh-ly. Not good.

Last edited by ultramarine; 02-03-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: off topic discussion
02-03-2011
scenester

exactly how different is this compared to the haus of gaga creations? mundane thierry mugagaler.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, mugler, paris, thierry