Have you done it? How difficult was it? Any tips or tricks?
My friend works for a magazine here in the city (he might get an invite) and I would die to get into the Balenciaga show next Thursday. Does anyone know where it will take place? I heard rumors that it would be at Gagosian or Deitch but don't have any final word.
why is it so easy to get invites to London shows? Cos all the designers suck? I guess, I managed to hustle myself to get invites for pretty much all the shows i'd like to see. i guess paris, milan, nyc is harder.
Milan is not that hard, mainly for the lesser known designer shows (once they were actually dragging people in from the street to see the show- the venue was half empty).
Paris is quite hard, even for up and coming designers, but I'll try to sneak some friends in thats if I get enough invitations this season. Even being a journalist i never receive invitations for the 'biggest' shows like Chanel or LV. The 'biggest' i've made yet is Chloe and Valentino, but I prefer the young designer generation anyway.
No clue regarding NY, I might try a NY invasion next February -keep postponing my visit there. We should team up -when i visit- chiconspeed, I'll be covering the shows when I come, still xopher is right, balenciaga might be impossible .
sneakin into parisian shows is quite impossible
when i get my invite to lacroix it was like taking vip jet
oh my god 3 times they controlled my invit on the list
and then finally when i get my sitting place i was rudely kicked off by some snobish journalist.......finally i was just 2 places behind lacroix's wife :wink:
but sticked to all crazy&mad photographers.......that was something
it was quite the same for ines de la fressange show
the only ones which were "cool" were the young designers shows
they pay much more attention to get people in than to kick them off :roll:
2) GO TO BRYANT PARK - IF SECURITY STOPS YOU, TELL THEM YOU ARE HERE TO SEE "XXX SHOW" AND THAT YOU FORGOT YOUR TICKET AT HOME, AT THE HOTEL, WHATEVER AND YOU NEED TO CHECK IN (MAKE SURE YOU ARE DRESSED APPROPRIATELY AND NOT LOOKING CONFUSED - MARCH UP THOSE STEPS LIKE YOU NEED TO GET IN THERE! ALL TOO OFTEN THE GUARDS ARE STOPPING TOURISTS OR WHOMEVER TRYING TO GET IN BECAUSE THEY ARE LINGERING AROUND, LOOKING CONFUSED)
3) GO TO CHECK IN TABLE WHEN IT IS SUPER BUSY AND THE PR PEOPLE ARE FRAZZLED
4) SAY YOU ARE SO AND SO FROM WHATEVER PUBLICATION - USE A LESSER KNOWN FASHION RAG OR REGIONAL NEWSPAPER
5) AS THE PR PERSON IS FLIPPING THRU THEIR BINDER TO LOOK FOR YOUR NAME, TAKE NOTE ON SOME RANDOM PERSONS NAME AND PUB. FROM THEIR BINDER THAT YOU HAPPEN TO GLANCE AND SEE...
6) WHEN THEY TELL YOU THAT YOU ARENT ON THE LIST, SAY OK AND LEAVE
7) WAIT 10 MIN AND GO TO ANOTHER PR PERSON ON THE OPPOSITE END OF THE TABLE OR ONE OF THE ONES WANDERING AROUND
8) GIVE THEM THE NAME OF THE PERSON THAT YOU'VE NOTATED AND VOILA - YOU GET A PASS IN.
I don't know about that...I have only attended one show before, but security at the tents seems to be extremely tight. I would say that the best way is to arrive extra early and wait on the standing room line. That might get you in right before the show starts...
that will work if the pr people don't actually know the editor or whatever...but there's always a chance that they do...in which case you will be promptly escorted from the area...most pr people have relationships with the editors who are invited to attend...
and it will never work for say...marc jacobs or narciso...the really hot ticket shows...
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."