Tom Ford F/W 2015.16 Los Angeles - Page 6 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-02-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
Well it's a little exhausting hearing the same critiques of Ford -- not his clothes, not the presentation in question, but the man and his view on fashion -- season in and season out as well. Critique the clothes negatively until the cows come home, but does it always need to come back to a discussion of Ford's entire viewpoint on female sexuality every time he shows a dress?

I mean to be perfectly frank Uemarasan, I've been reading the exact same response from you about his collections since he showed his first women's collection under his own name four and a half years ago. Your feeling is perfectly valid and I'm certainly not telling you to keep it to yourself, but since you feel free to constantly voice it without even altering the way it's worded very much, why shouldn't the people who happen to disagree constantly voice their disagreement as well?

Seems sort of strange to me to say that it's frustrating to have to defend a negative opinion when it's just as frustrating to feel like you need to defend a positive one as well against people who simply do not like Tom Ford at all and who make no secret of it in every thread that pops up with his name on it. Again, please share your opinion as much and as thoughtfully as you like, but try not to be surprised if people critique it.

No disrespect intended, but since it was brought up I figured that made it open for discussion.
I do believe I have the right to word in whatever way I like whatever critique of Ford I have, right? It's within the rules of the forums after all. What I find troubling is that responses to a negative opinion here are usually directed toward the nature of the opinion itself instead of simply disagreeing and offering a counter opinion. I don't think it's useful when opinions or the construction of opinions are being criticized instead of the designers and collections. I don't believe I've criticized a positive opinion here in the same way that a negative opinion has been. It comes across as the one making an opinion being indirectly criticized as pretentious, naive, Amish, and a hater of sex.

And of course my criticism will be the same after all these years. Ford's philosophy, after all, has not changed in all that time. And repetitive negative opinions happen in all the threads. I've seen people who dislike a certain designer make negative comments time and again in their threads, so I don't know why I'm singled out as a special case now? But if you feel that that I sound like a broken record, then please feel free to ignore me.

So, back on topic, yes, the clothes are ugly. Ugly colors. Ugly fabrics. Ugly design. Ugly is subjective. We know that, and we don't really need to be reminded of that.

Last edited by Uemarasan; 25-02-2015 at 05:29 PM.
27-02-2015
front row

Stopped being a fan after his stint at Gucci...I think that was the highlight of Tom's career. Although I hate the Juliet-sleeved silhouettes here reminiscent of Dolce Gabbana's romantic hippie look in the 90s (only updated with the use of his leit-motif leopard and the pop-art geometric patchworks and the "groundbreaking" denim,again so 90's),this isnt bad as the "Kapow" splattered dresses a few seasons ago.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
angeles, f or w, ford, los, tom