Tom Ford F/W 2018.19 New York - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Wow, some of the things here are beyond atrocious. Very tacky.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Who is this designer; and what did he make with Tom Ford?? Because it´s hard to realise this collection has been designed by the real TF.

Back in the 90s and early 00s he was sophisticated while being modern at the same time. This collection is dated and tacky. Tacky to a level that could make Cavalli cry.

In the past Tom managed to mix bold prints in a tasteful manner (prints clash from Gucci S/S 1996 is an example on how to play with tacky prints without getting a tacky result).
By this doesn´t feel as studied and controlled. It feels random and trashy.

And that "Pussy Power" slogan?? Is it Tom Ford´s hardcore version of Dior´s "We should all be feminists"??

Last edited by jeanclaude; 1 Week Ago at 03:48 PM.
1 Week Ago
rising star

Ok so I loved how controversial this collection is. It's quite interesting how TF still can shook people in 2018.

Now the clothes: I f*ucking love the coats, so lusty, they are to die for. I bet the will be a lot of mens looking for these coats in the stores (I would). The rest yes, is ugly, but its so full o life so I can appreciate it.

1 Week Ago
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter10549 View Post
Ok so I loved how controversial this collection is. It's quite interesting how TF still can shook people in 2018.

Now the clothes: I f*ucking love the coats, so lusty, they are to die for. I bet the will be a lot of mens looking for these coats in the stores (I would). The rest yes, is ugly, but its so full o life so I can appreciate it.
I have to admit that i'm quite surprised by the reactions to the show. A friend of mine who went to the show totally loved it and said that the audience and the clients were in heaven. They all loved how bad it was...
And apparently, it is still the talk of NYFW thanks to the total opposite reviews of Cathy Horyn and Vanessa Friedman.

I need to see the video footage!

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

It's definitely not as bad as people are saying it is. But is it so bad that it's actually good? I think not.

1 Week Ago
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post

I need to see the video footage!
TF youtube channel just post this video that I guess is from the Instagram's livestream so the quality is awful, and I actually surprised that they have posted it.

Anyway, its here:

Last edited by ghostwriter10549; 1 Week Ago at 07:09 PM.
1 Week Ago
backstage pass

^^ The disco music is the only thing of this show that I love. Why Tom didn´t allow the DJ to design the whole collection?

Last edited by jeanclaude; 1 Week Ago at 07:47 PM.
1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
It's definitely not as bad as people are saying it is. But is it so bad that it's actually good? I think not.
This. Not tacky or sexual or outrageous enough to really make an impact. He should fully go for it. If anyone's capable of making the Dolce & Gabbana SS05 of the 2010s it's him.

1 Week Ago
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanclaude View Post
Who is this designer; and what did he make with Tom Ford?? Because it´s hard to realise this collection has been designed by the real TF.

Back in the 90s and early 00s he was sophisticated while being modern at the same time. This collection is dated and tacky. Tacky to a level that could make Cavalli cry.

In the past Tom managed to mix bold prints in a tasteful manner (prints clash from Gucci S/S 1996 is an example on how to play with tacky prints without getting a tacky result).
By this doesn´t feel as studied and controlled. It feels random and trashy.

And that "Pussy Power" slogan?? Is it Tom Ford´s hardcore version of Dior´s "We should all be feminists"??
To be honest, this is totally a matter of time passing and perspective. Tom Ford back then was highly criticized and controversial. Maybe his FW1996 and FW2003 collections were his most critically acclaimed shows but his wild taste has always been considered as tacky. At least, this is a word that i've always heard or seen affiliated with Tom.

His SS 2001 Gucci collection was panned by the critics. It was totally missunderstood but it turned out to be his most influencial collection and even more, looking at it today, it's almost impossible to see why it was hated so much.

What saved Tom was his ability to move on and the fact that he defined the look of the era. But against Miuccia and Helmut, he was maybe the hottest and most influencial but he was also the most criticized.

For me, there's a big difference between Cavalli and Ford. Ford men and women dress for themselves or with the idea of competting with people from the same sex.

Cavalli was very specific. He was a straight man from the south with a particular taste. Yes, both clientele are fearless but you'll rarely see a Tom Ford woman in Cavalli.

Most of the girls in this show are fully dressed tho.

1 Week Ago
The future is stupid

Tom Ford is fashion’s ultimate outside insider.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

new york fashion week is so unexciting now

this epitomises it

can't wait for milan and paris

V.I.P.

Probably his worst collection under his namesake brand. Just no rendering qualities.

1 Week Ago
fashion insider

The soundtrack drags the presentation down so much.

It should have been hardcore New Jack Swing: Bell Biv Devoe, Mary J Blige, Jodeci. SWV… or 80s freestyle: Shannon, Timex Social Club, Debbie Deb, Sly Fox… Those are the OG sonic attitude the fashion needs— not this harmless Top 40 dance pop.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
To be honest, this is totally a matter of time passing and perspective. Tom Ford back then was highly criticized and controversial. Maybe his FW1996 and FW2003 collections were his most critically acclaimed shows but his wild taste has always been considered as tacky. At least, this is a word that i've always heard or seen affiliated with Tom.

His SS 2001 Gucci collection was panned by the critics. It was totally missunderstood but it turned out to be his most influencial collection and even more, looking at it today, it's almost impossible to see why it was hated so much.

What saved Tom was his ability to move on and the fact that he defined the look of the era. But against Miuccia and Helmut, he was maybe the hottest and most influencial but he was also the most criticized.

For me, there's a big difference between Cavalli and Ford. Ford men and women dress for themselves or with the idea of competting with people from the same sex.

Cavalli was very specific. He was a straight man from the south with a particular taste. Yes, both clientele are fearless but you'll rarely see a Tom Ford woman in Cavalli.

Most of the girls in this show are fully dressed tho.
Tom Ford at Gucci was considered bold and modern, but not tacky. Tacky is another level, a level that both Versace and Cavalli (among others) know very well.
It´s true that TF style echoes the 70s (the original tacky era); but he polished the rough edges of the "tacky factor" into something stylish.

It´s not only a matter of time and nostalgia for Ford´s tenure at Gucci that makes people see his work there as "cool". It is the fact that, even at his wildest, he always knew how to control it. And managing to transform "tacky" into sophisticated, modern and desirable clothes is something that very few designers are able to do. He always knew when to stop, exactly at the right point.

But with the current collection he is totally out of control. He adds everything and the kitchen sink into the design of the clothes (bright fabrics, bold colours, rhinestones, fake fur, patches, prints, etc). There is no balance at all.

Vannesa Friedman summarizes the feeling of a lost Tom on this quote from her article for NY Times:
Mr. Ford has always loved a bit of kitsch — it’s part of his birthright as a designer; part of what put him on the map at Gucci, back in the day — but his skill lay in balancing it with an appreciation of high luxury, so the net effect was an elegantly knowing, arch kind of power cool. This time around, the luxury element was missing, despite all that fur. Giant paste diamond buttons on coats and jackets just looked cheap.

That´s the reason why I compared him to Cavalli. Roberto didn´t know when to stop, there wasn´t any control in his clothes...something that I see in this TF collection too.

I don´t see TF customers wearing Cavalli either. That´s the reason why I don´t see them wearing this collection.
The feeling of "being in charge" from his Gucci days is gone. And it´s sad, because Tom had an exquisite taste back in the 90s.

Last edited by jeanclaude; 1 Week Ago at 05:19 PM.
1 Week Ago
fashion icon

^^
I totally get your point but what I think is actually fun about this show is how the OTT aspect is very controlled.
We know it’s Tom Ford, we know that he is a control freak and he has a twisted humor. It’s almost impossible to take this collection as seriously as some would like to.

Looking at it more and more, i’m Actually sold on the whole thing.

I think that in this era of irony, fairytale-ish, sexless excess, it’s good to see something 100% tacky, glamorous and sexy. This will attract a younger clientele that maybe loved the idea of Tom Ford but wasn’t really engaged with the clothes.

What I love the most are the polarizing responses!

For the moment at NYFW, that’s the only show that gives me a feeling of fashion.And for that alone, it’s already on my list of favorite shows of the season

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
f or w, ford, tom, york