How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-07-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Astrid21@Jul 12th, 2003 - 8:08 pm
I think Tom is rather genius, not original or innovative, but he's an excellent businessman. To each their own.
He is ...that is a part of his succes.I think he did a great revamp at Gucci & Ysl and I love most of the collections,the quality is impeccable and although it may not be innovative,the collections just work.
It's fine,as long as they away stay of becoming Cavalli trash

12-07-2003
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by LolitaLuxe+Jul 11th, 2003 - 10:04 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LolitaLuxe @ Jul 11th, 2003 - 10:04 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-cedriceccentric@Jul 11th, 2003 - 11:40 am
[color=purple]Why is it that when someone gets super famous people want to see him fall? I really don't understand you guys.

whatever. wanting tom to "fall" because he made it? please. tom isnt as exciting as he used to be. when he first took over gucci he DID give it the re-vamp that the house needed. he makes sexy clothes and has a clientel. its just the bad taste that is really making gucci boring. the interlocking g gucci logo crotch, for example, is just not very innovative in my eyes and is hardly genius. tom ford worked hard to be where he is and of course i see that first of all an american designing for a huge italian house is of course HUGE. but he is getting SO STALE. POOH. of course everyone cant be yohji,mc queen,lagerfeld, etc but tom is all but boring compared to many newcomers! his talents are in question-every artist should be tested, and im sick of the boring "sexy" consistancy of the gucci lifestyle/ image. [/b][/quote]
lolita you said it sooooo well, i second on Ford being the golden hen for Gucci, but hey.. get a look at those gucci group shares, they talk by themselves.

Ford -like others in 'creative direction' chairs- are loosing the game. Antics and sex mandras are getting boring after all these years. They bored Gucci clients, they turned away most old time YSL clients and showed -in figures- that the golden 'creative director' might not be shining as much as gold -in shares.
Regarding his 'design' abilities, pray remember Tom -like other megabrands 'artistic directors' only supervises a big fat design team, so, basically he does not design anything much -apart maybe those very first, amazingly focused TF for Gucci collections.
Through his first three amazingly strong Gucci collections, Ford gave us a very good and useful lesson on the power of stylistic focusing, unfortunately, he got carried away and lost his touch, he even lost his focus.
His last fall collection for Gucci, is quite a good one, one of his best in years, but for ysl i think he's obviously losing the game.

Tom Ford and his Gucci sidekick are out of the group by January 04, its a part of the take over of the Group by a french multimillionaire and huge rival of Mr.Arnault of the LVMH group. Latest rumours want Ford and De Sol at Versace, time will tell - since Donatella gives the green card to mr business but does not want to share the flash with Mr. sex pot

12-07-2003
rising star

Lena,
Would De Sole go only to Versace or to Valentino too? Because they are from the same group, no?

12-07-2003
etre soi-meme

the only name around is Versace at this moment, valentino got sold recently, not sure where to though, not sure if it is Versace Cedric

13-07-2003
yes

what is up with all this changing changing

13-07-2003
etre soi-meme

stock exchange money deals and personal rivalry , thats all acid

13-07-2003
yes

Zandra rhodes told me that fashion has changed these days and that no matter how hard you try, you always end up having to sell part of your soul to make things work....

she did some kinda collaboration with topshop which she loathed, but it was the only way she could make the profits for her museum

13-07-2003
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jul 13th, 2003 - 1:14 pm
Zandra rhodes told me that fashion has changed these days and that no matter how hard you try, you always end up having to sell part of your soul to make things work....

shes right acid, but still it's a personal thing, some designers prefer to keep low key in order to keep 'part of their soul' for themselves, sometimes, one cannot have it all

18-07-2003
Stitch:the Hand

i personally have nothing against tom ford in terms of gucci/ysl but isn't my cup of tea. the only thing that bugs me in particular is his out-of-the-loop comments he has made towards independent designers saying it doesn't work. which makes me question his blatant ignorance towards the rest of fashion that isn't part of some conglomerate. has he never seen or heard the names Demeulemeester,Van Noten,Margiela(up until now that he's been bought partially by Diesel)and the like whom have made quite significant names for themselves and happen to be independent?

18-07-2003
V.I.P.

The only thing good taht ever came from a tom ford/ gucci are sungalsses.

Mannikin

Quote:
Originally posted by Spacemiu@Jul 18th, 2003 - 11:25 pm
The only thing good taht ever came from a tom ford/ gucci are sungalsses.
I beg to disagree but yes!

01-08-2004
windowshopping

well i like tom ford a lot, i thik his clothes are very sexy and feminine and the fabrics are great. He's gorgeous and duh, gay! I was really when i heard he was retiring from the fashion industry

why dont u like him?????? dont u like his clothes??

02-08-2004
barcode

I'm sure this is a totally predictable answer cause I'm a Ford Fan, but I like him. Design skills or not, he's good at what he does. He helped save Gucci from bankruptcy, made it over to be come one of the most recognizable and influential labels in the world, and left it making money and making people want more. As for YSL, mabye he didn't do what Yves would've done, but he still managed to keep YSL relevent and did some great things while he was there.......To sum it up, I like the guy, a lot.

02-08-2004
V.I.P.

ditto

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike413@Aug 2 2004, 08:58 AM
I'm sure this is a totally predictable answer cause I'm a Ford Fan, but I like him. Design skills or not, he's good at what he does. He helped save Gucci from bankruptcy, made it over to be come one of the most recognizable and influential labels in the world, and left it making money and making people want more. As for YSL, mabye he didn't do what Yves would've done, but he still managed to keep YSL relevent and did some great things while he was there.......To sum it up, I like the guy, a lot.
[snapback]320423[/snapback]

03-08-2004
Wanderlust

Tom Ford is ace! I really really liked him after the Spring 2002 Collection and even more so after the Fall 2003 one. He makes such sexy stuff, but good sexy.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ford, hate, tom