How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-08-2004
windowshopping

i donnot quite get it! do u mean he is boring u in some way?

03-08-2004
rising star

I have to disagree!

I think Tom is a great designer (what he did for Gucci), and he is sexy!

04-08-2004
gromosexual

Wow Sean, we have more in common than I thought!!!! I argued with my cousin about hating tom, and he was all like "how could you hate him" and i'm all like "how could you NOT hate him??", and then he went and bought a bunch of DSquared clothes, so I declared myself the winner by default.

05-08-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

i love how people shrug at the limited talent and celebrity status of mr. ford while following after mr. galliano, mr. slimane, or mr. elbaz like they can do no wrong. sure these picks (and i mean the list could go on for ever) do have a cupful of talent but they all participate in the game that tom ford mastered...it has never been about just the clothes...it's about that magic moment that the average consumer has when they think their buying into an image. and no one created that moment quite like mr. ford.

chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 5 2004, 04:18 AM
i love how people shrug at the limited talent and celebrity status of mr. ford while following after mr. galliano, mr. slimane, or mr. elbaz like they can do no wrong. sure these picks (and i mean the list could go on for ever) do have a cupful of talent but they all participate in the game that tom ford mastered...it has never been about just the clothes...it's about that magic moment that the average consumer has when they think their buying into an image. and no one created that moment quite like mr. ford.
[snapback]321949[/snapback]

Oh, my God!
I just hope the name dropping doesnt start a flame war ... this is a reminder to stay on topic ... this is ALL about Tom Ford

backstage pass

Quote:
I believe Tom Ford had control over every brand's image in the Gucci stable?

Hence the sleek sexy look from Boucheron to Bottega Veneta.

Charles Baudelaire
05-08-2004
barcode

No, Boucheron and BV each had their own creative directors. Ford had nothing to do with the image or designs coming from those houses.

05-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
...it's about that magic moment that the average consumer has when they think their buying into an image. and no one created that moment quite like mr. ford.
As long as you admit that it is what it is ...

05-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
sorry...but elbaz is a chubby shy little mouse with crazy brillo pad hair who wears funny little galsses... so that is a false comparison...he just makes great clothes so everyone else falls all over themselves after him...but he doesn't create the image...he creates the clothes...

05-08-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 5 2004, 10:01 AM
sorry...but elbaz is a chubby shy little mouse with crazy brillo pad hair who wears funny little galsses... so that is a false comparison...he just makes great clothes so everyone else falls all over themselves after him...but he doesn't create the image...he creates the clothes...
[snapback]322113[/snapback]

That is absolutely right SG. Good point well made. I've always thought Ford was a fraud. He is probably even more conceited that Galliano. That final walk down the catwalk with the Gucci glass of "Scotch" or whatever - Gadz! Talk about an egomaniac.

05-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

i like that johnny...we should rename the thread...

FORD THE FRAUD...LOL...

05-08-2004
barcode

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny@Aug 5 2004, 10:45 AM
That is absolutely right SG. Good point well made. I've always thought Ford was a fraud. He is probably even more conceited that Galliano. That final walk down the catwalk with the Gucci glass of "Scotch" or whatever - Gadz! Talk about an egomaniac.
[snapback]322170[/snapback]
How does that make him an egomaniac, he sent models down the catwalk with scotch, so he did it too.

I've never really understood why people see him as egomaniacal, any time I've seen an interview with him he doesn't seem very self-appreciating, he always agknowledges the team of people he works with to create a collection, and it doesn't really seem that he regards himself as any kind of design genius. Even by the way he come out at the end of a show, until his string of finales this past season it was always just an understated, confident walk.......mabye it's just me but I don't see him as the egomaniac others do.

05-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

designers never really did that walk by themselves the way ford did...designers were never 'stars'...they were behind the scenes....tom and his ego changed that...
tom wanted the attention...he thrives on it...it was unusual for a fashion designer to be recognizable before tom came along...prada was a huge success for years and you rarely saw her face...

it's just who tom is...for better or for worse...he's an egomaniac... he is completely in love with himself... good for him i guess...but i find humility a bit more attractive myself...

05-08-2004
fashion icon

I don't think there is any doubt that Ford is talented. My only qualm was that he built a hollow image and sold it. It was all sex, glamour and money. Those are things I don't value and don't want to see focused on in clothes. Tom Ford is strictly bourgeois. Not to say that most designers in the high fashion industry aren't, but Ford made clothes based off that idea. I cannot really respect that especially when on the opposite end of the spectrum you have people like Issey Miyake who are researching new ways of garment construction to aid people in their lives. Tom Ford is the epitome of excess, irresponsibility, and dross in the fashion industry (of course the same could be said about Dior).

05-08-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike413@Aug 5 2004, 11:38 AM
How does that make him an egomaniac, he sent models down the catwalk with scotch, so he did it too.

I've never really understood why people see him as egomaniacal, any time I've seen an interview with him he doesn't seem very self-appreciating, he always agknowledges the team of people he works with to create a collection, and it doesn't really seem that he regards himself as any kind of design genius. Even by the way he come out at the end of a show, until his string of finales this past season it was always just an understated, confident walk.......mabye it's just me but I don't see him as the egomaniac others do.
[snapback]322219[/snapback]

Obviously drinking whisky doesn't make you an egomanic, and I can understand giving the models the glasses if that's the kind of "lounge lizard" image he's trying to market, but why would the designer do it himself, on the catwalk, to applause, if it's not for his ego?! What does it add, other than the drawing of more attention to him (the image has already been presented by the models. Why do we need him to show us the same thing again?). By doing that he was putting himself - his own supposed or projected lifestyle - at the heart of the image of the brand. It's trite to say it, since he made no bones about it, but I don't see how it can be anything other than ego that led him to do that. It was so contrived too. Artifice is fine for the shows - that's what they're about - but are we really supposed to think he was just having a drink and forgot to put it down?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ford, hate, tom