How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
03-08-2004
  46
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 44
i donnot quite get it! do u mean he is boring u in some way?

  Reply With Quote
 
03-08-2004
  47
rising star
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 109
I have to disagree!

I think Tom is a great designer (what he did for Gucci), and he is sexy!

  Reply With Quote
04-08-2004
  48
gromosexual
 
Nader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Saltspring Island, BC
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,704
Wow Sean, we have more in common than I thought!!!! I argued with my cousin about hating tom, and he was all like "how could you hate him" and i'm all like "how could you NOT hate him??", and then he went and bought a bunch of DSquared clothes, so I declared myself the winner by default.

  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  49
no tom ford, no thanks.
 
mikeijames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: closer than you think.
Gender: homme
Posts: 5,899
i love how people shrug at the limited talent and celebrity status of mr. ford while following after mr. galliano, mr. slimane, or mr. elbaz like they can do no wrong. sure these picks (and i mean the list could go on for ever) do have a cupful of talent but they all participate in the game that tom ford mastered...it has never been about just the clothes...it's about that magic moment that the average consumer has when they think their buying into an image. and no one created that moment quite like mr. ford.

__________________
everything is never quite enough.
  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  50
chaos reigns
 
ultramarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Costa Rica
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 5 2004, 04:18 AM
i love how people shrug at the limited talent and celebrity status of mr. ford while following after mr. galliano, mr. slimane, or mr. elbaz like they can do no wrong. sure these picks (and i mean the list could go on for ever) do have a cupful of talent but they all participate in the game that tom ford mastered...it has never been about just the clothes...it's about that magic moment that the average consumer has when they think their buying into an image. and no one created that moment quite like mr. ford.
[snapback]321949[/snapback]

Oh, my God!
I just hope the name dropping doesnt start a flame war ... this is a reminder to stay on topic ... this is ALL about Tom Ford

__________________
Have you rated this thread yet?
  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  51
backstage pass
 
Incroyable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Gender: homme
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 5 2004, 04:18 AM
i love how people shrug at the limited talent and celebrity status of mr. ford while following after mr. galliano, mr. slimane, or mr. elbaz like they can do no wrong. sure these picks (and i mean the list could go on for ever) do have a cupful of talent but they all participate in the game that tom ford mastered...it has never been about just the clothes...it's about that magic moment that the average consumer has when they think their buying into an image. and no one created that moment quite like mr. ford.
[snapback]321949[/snapback]
I believe Tom Ford had control over every brand's image in the Gucci stable?

Hence the sleek sexy look from Boucheron to Bottega Veneta.

__________________
"In truth I am not altogether wrong to consider dandyism a form of religion."

Charles Baudelaire
  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  52
barcode
 
Spike413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,411
No, Boucheron and BV each had their own creative directors. Ford had nothing to do with the image or designs coming from those houses.

__________________
You need to move fashion forward when there's a reason to move fashion forward - Tom Ford

  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  53
V.I.P.
 
faust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,312
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 5 2004, 04:18 AM
...it's about that magic moment that the average consumer has when they think their buying into an image. and no one created that moment quite like mr. ford.
[snapback]321949[/snapback]
As long as you admit that it is what it is ...

  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  54
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,929
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Aug 5 2004, 04:18 AM
i love how people shrug at the limited talent and celebrity status of mr. ford while following after mr. galliano, mr. slimane, or mr. elbaz like they can do no wrong. sure these picks (and i mean the list could go on for ever) do have a cupful of talent but they all participate in the game that tom ford mastered...it has never been about just the clothes...it's about that magic moment that the average consumer has when they think their buying into an image. and no one created that moment quite like mr. ford.
[snapback]321949[/snapback]
sorry...but elbaz is a chubby shy little mouse with crazy brillo pad hair who wears funny little galsses... so that is a false comparison...he just makes great clothes so everyone else falls all over themselves after him...but he doesn't create the image...he creates the clothes...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  55
trendsetter
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 5 2004, 10:01 AM
sorry...but elbaz is a chubby shy little mouse with crazy brillo pad hair who wears funny little galsses... so that is a false comparison...he just makes great clothes so everyone else falls all over themselves after him...but he doesn't create the image...he creates the clothes...
[snapback]322113[/snapback]

That is absolutely right SG. Good point well made. I've always thought Ford was a fraud. He is probably even more conceited that Galliano. That final walk down the catwalk with the Gucci glass of "Scotch" or whatever - Gadz! Talk about an egomaniac.

  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  56
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,929
i like that johnny...we should rename the thread...

FORD THE FRAUD...LOL...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  57
barcode
 
Spike413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,411
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny@Aug 5 2004, 10:45 AM
That is absolutely right SG. Good point well made. I've always thought Ford was a fraud. He is probably even more conceited that Galliano. That final walk down the catwalk with the Gucci glass of "Scotch" or whatever - Gadz! Talk about an egomaniac.
[snapback]322170[/snapback]
How does that make him an egomaniac, he sent models down the catwalk with scotch, so he did it too.

I've never really understood why people see him as egomaniacal, any time I've seen an interview with him he doesn't seem very self-appreciating, he always agknowledges the team of people he works with to create a collection, and it doesn't really seem that he regards himself as any kind of design genius. Even by the way he come out at the end of a show, until his string of finales this past season it was always just an understated, confident walk.......mabye it's just me but I don't see him as the egomaniac others do.

__________________
You need to move fashion forward when there's a reason to move fashion forward - Tom Ford

  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  58
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,929
designers never really did that walk by themselves the way ford did...designers were never 'stars'...they were behind the scenes....tom and his ego changed that...
tom wanted the attention...he thrives on it...it was unusual for a fashion designer to be recognizable before tom came along...prada was a huge success for years and you rarely saw her face...

it's just who tom is...for better or for worse...he's an egomaniac... he is completely in love with himself... good for him i guess...but i find humility a bit more attractive myself...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  59
fashion icon
 
Mutterlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,406
I don't think there is any doubt that Ford is talented. My only qualm was that he built a hollow image and sold it. It was all sex, glamour and money. Those are things I don't value and don't want to see focused on in clothes. Tom Ford is strictly bourgeois. Not to say that most designers in the high fashion industry aren't, but Ford made clothes based off that idea. I cannot really respect that especially when on the opposite end of the spectrum you have people like Issey Miyake who are researching new ways of garment construction to aid people in their lives. Tom Ford is the epitome of excess, irresponsibility, and dross in the fashion industry (of course the same could be said about Dior).

  Reply With Quote
05-08-2004
  60
trendsetter
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally posted by Spike413@Aug 5 2004, 11:38 AM
How does that make him an egomaniac, he sent models down the catwalk with scotch, so he did it too.

I've never really understood why people see him as egomaniacal, any time I've seen an interview with him he doesn't seem very self-appreciating, he always agknowledges the team of people he works with to create a collection, and it doesn't really seem that he regards himself as any kind of design genius. Even by the way he come out at the end of a show, until his string of finales this past season it was always just an understated, confident walk.......mabye it's just me but I don't see him as the egomaniac others do.
[snapback]322219[/snapback]

Obviously drinking whisky doesn't make you an egomanic, and I can understand giving the models the glasses if that's the kind of "lounge lizard" image he's trying to market, but why would the designer do it himself, on the catwalk, to applause, if it's not for his ego?! What does it add, other than the drawing of more attention to him (the image has already been presented by the models. Why do we need him to show us the same thing again?). By doing that he was putting himself - his own supposed or projected lifestyle - at the heart of the image of the brand. It's trite to say it, since he made no bones about it, but I don't see how it can be anything other than ego that led him to do that. It was so contrived too. Artifice is fine for the shows - that's what they're about - but are we really supposed to think he was just having a drink and forgot to put it down?

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ford, hate, tom
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.