How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-11-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ador-DioR View Post
It all looks dated and garish. I was excited about this but it's looking exactly like what he was doing at Gucci/YSL, right down to the hair/makeup...he did it even better back then, all of this looks like a step back...even for him and more on Cavalli's level and even he has moved on from this dated way of dressing women.
You're a brave woman going against the adoring mob!

I do agree with you how the designs, styling and makeup seems to have remained at Gucci and YSL when Tom was at the helm. But I quite like that about him-- that's his style, and he's sticking by it.

I don't think his famous clientele will care much about the rewind in his design and styling, they just want to wear "Tom Ford". And his less-than-famous clientele will adore the designs because they are investment pieces and instant classics-- not disposable fashions.

22-11-2010
barcode

I'm not going to fight J'ador-DioR's opinion because it's just that, her opinion. But I do question it. Isn't the fact that what's been seen of the collection so far is so distinctly Tom Ford kind of the whole point? Isn't that what people - fans, customers, editors - have wanted this entire time? What was Tom supposed to move on from, exactly? This is his vision. This is him. To want or expect something different seems kind of strange to me.

Last edited by Spike413; 22-11-2010 at 11:52 PM.
23-11-2010
Wanderlust

I've not done this much shaking and crying since my mother died.
Mr Tom Ford is just what has been missing in this fashion industry. I swear this is going to make the other designers start looking at their designs and businesses. And if Anna supports the slow down of business that is Tom Ford, you can believe others are going to follow.

Oh my God. Amazing.

No comment for that opinion a few posts back.

23-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
It all looks dated and garish. I was excited about this but it's looking exactly like what he was doing at Gucci/YSL, right down to the hair/makeup...he did it even better back then, all of this looks like a step back...even for him and more on Cavalli's level and even he has moved on from this dated way of dressing women.
I like the clothes because I like this aesthetic but I think that this is a fair and well-articulated criticism. I am not sure if I agree with the Cavalli comparison although I am not sure if I fully understand it either, however in recent months I have come to the realization that when Cavalli is on his game (which was not the case for SS2011), he is one heckuva designer, probably one of the best. Anyhoo, back to Mr. Ford, I like his aesthetic but I think he is more sizzle than steak (more PT Barnum than Jacques Fath), still I think there is something deliciously diabolical about his showmanship and strategerizing.

23-11-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post
Mr Tom Ford is just what has been missing in this fashion industry. I swear this is going to make the other designers start looking at their designs and businesses. And if Anna supports the slow down of business that is Tom Ford, you can believe others are going to follow.
I really think that we're about to see a divergence in the industry. I think that some "luxury" brands are going to keep trying for the masstige markets and some of them are going to look at Mr. Ford and do drastic U-Turns and try to follow him.

Other than that though, does anyone else think that Tom Ford, in these few months just set himself in opposition to everything that is Marc Jacobs?

Golden Boy of NYFW-Marc Jacobs(Mr. Ford said he will not do anymore shows for his womenwear line)
Undoubtedly One of the most Integrated Brands-Louis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs(well it's obvious how Mr. Ford feels about that)

23-11-2010
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
I like the clothes because I like this aesthetic but I think that this is a fair and well-articulated criticism. I am not sure if I agree with the Cavalli comparison although I am not sure if I fully understand it either, however in recent months I have come to the realization that when Cavalli is on his game (which was not the case for SS2011), he is one heckuva designer, probably one of the best. Anyhoo, back to Mr. Ford, I like his aesthetic but I think he is more sizzle than steak (more PT Barnum than Jacques Fath), still I think there is something deliciously diabolical about his showmanship and strategerizing.
I don't know if that's really a fair thing to say. No, he's not a designer who tries to reinvent the wheel, as he himself is quick to admit, but I think saying that what he does ultimately boils down to what's on the surface is selling his work a bit short while at the same time raising other designer's work to a level it doesn't necessarily deserve. At the end of the day the man has a seemingly innate understanding of the basics of clothing design; they're flattering, they're appealing, they're beautiful, and they appear to be well made. In that respect I think he's more like Saint Laurent than most people will ever give him credit for.

I also happen to think that for the most part the clothes we've seen so far seem to rely mainly on clean, flattering lines to do their talking rather than any kind of razzle-dazzle.

Last edited by Spike413; 23-11-2010 at 11:41 PM.
24-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
I don't know if that's really a fair thing to say. No, he's not a designer who tries to reinvent the wheel, as he himself is quick to admit, but I think saying that what he does ultimately boils down to what's on the surface is selling his work a bit short while at the same time raising other designer's work to a level it doesn't necessarily deserve. At the end of the day the man has a seemingly innate understanding of the basics of clothing design; they're flattering, they're appealing, they're beautiful, and they appear to be well made. In that respect I think he's more like Saint Laurent than most people will ever give him credit for.

I also happen to think that for the most part the clothes we've seen so far seem to rely mainly on clean, flattering lines to do their talking rather than any kind of razzle-dazzle.
You are reading more into my post than intended, I am in no way calling Tom Ford a hack or questioning the beauty or quality of his clothes. However, the whole exclusivity / doing things smaller is BS. IMO, Mr. Ford does not want to get in bed with LVMH or PPR* and that's totally fine and commendable that he wants to be his own man, but I don't think his ego will allow him to be relegated, even in the short-term, to the second or third tier which comes with being an independent designer following the traditional route and who has to compete with entrenched and well-financed design houses for the attention and mind-share of editors, true fashionistas and A-List celebs and their stylists. More importantly, in addition to his design, styling and customer care skills (the steak), he is a great hypemaster / showman and a brilliant strategist and marketer (the sizzle) and why suppress that aspect of his makeup in the name of letting "the steak" and the steak alone lead the way to him regaining prominence in womenswear.

* At least not without guarantees of a certain level of autonomy and control as well as a hefty ownership stake, IMO.

Last edited by agee; 24-11-2010 at 07:06 AM.
25-11-2010
DŌMMkammern

Quote:
Originally Posted by markese91 View Post
I really think that we're about to see a divergence in the industry. I think that some "luxury" brands are going to keep trying for the masstige markets and some of them are going to look at Mr. Ford and do drastic U-Turns and try to follow him.
i will patiently wait and watch them struggle... the closer they get to zara, the more fun i'll have.

it's about time the number of designers gets slashed so we can focus on the very few that matter
i'm not talking big or small, not fast or slow...
just the ones who can still put on a look and add value to it.

i'm not saying i am against fashion week, definitely not against posting images soon after the show (ahem)
this divergence you talked about, markese91, could be very healthy and could help us simplify...
until we get to the point where there's parallel fashion weeks, and that's not just for designers, but also media and all.

there will be sites like style.com that will continue to post all shows, all looks, and all parties...
and there will be others following the vogue/showstudio approach of showing what their editors think matter (pre-show pics, interviews, atelier insights, fewer but better collections...) they are called editors for a reason no?

there will be a bulk of 200 designers craving to get noticed
and there will be Mr. Ford (as i read that's how he would rather be called now) and a few others

( as always, one petit reproche to overstate myself for the 654327th time: Mr Ford, get them pictures out earlier so i can drool over shoes and shoulderpads the sooner the better. for those of you who would rather see the pictures later, can't you just refrain from looking at them for a couple of months? )

Quote:
It all looks dated and garish. ... even he [Cavalli] has moved on from this dated way of dressing women.
has he?
and if he had, did it make it any better?

Last edited by Dkammern; 25-11-2010 at 03:56 AM.
25-11-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkammern View Post
it's about time the number of designers gets slashed so we can focus on the very few that matter
I don't really know about the numbers of designers getting slashed, and to say "focus on the few that matter" is really weird to me seeing as I'm not sure who's exactly supposed to be deciding "the few that matter?" I think that the proliferation of designers has come at the right time(with the proliferation of fashioni press). Now, we have alot of people who write about "the few that matter" to them and so everyone sort of gets press to the people they need to get press to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkammern View Post
this divergence you talked about, markese91, could be very healthy and could help us simplify...
until we get to the point where there's parallel fashion weeks, and that's not just for designers, but also media and all.
The fashion week system is archaic. I mean I love fashion weeks, and I would hate for runway to die out but it's so anachronistic the way it's done right now... but then again isn't that a discussion for another thread lol?

26-11-2010
backstage pass

There are alot of Tom Ford SS11 images floating around and I trying to decide whether to post them here or to open a new thread for Tom Ford SS11.. suggestions?

Here Raquel Zimmermann is wearing a Tom Ford silk top(image 1 and 2) and cumberbund(image 3)

fashiongonerogue

29-11-2010
DŌMMkammern

Quote:
Originally Posted by markese91 View Post
I don't really know about the numbers of designers getting slashed, and to say "focus on the few that matter" is really weird to me seeing as I'm not sure who's exactly supposed to be deciding "the few that matter?" I think that the proliferation of designers has come at the right time(with the proliferation of fashioni press). Now, we have alot of people who write about "the few that matter" to them and so everyone sort of gets press to the people they need to get press to
the proliferation of designers and fashion press came together, and sorry to be pulling an arrogant @edojao here, but it was all because of tge proliferation of low interest rates from 911 until September 2008 pre-lehman, in other words: the good old cheap money days. those days are gone, and as always "money talks, losers walk"
it's harsh, but true nevertheless

Quote:
The fashion week system is archaic. I mean I love fashion weeks, and I would hate for runway to die out but it's so anachronistic the way it's done right now... but then again isn't that a discussion for another thread lol?
I think the topic belongs here as Mr. Ford is one on the instigators of this change. I don't necesarily see the end of fashion week as much as I see a decoupling.
It happens with other snobby industries, like with art fairs. There's the people attending vernissages (commoners), the ones who are invited to that private party the commoners can only dream of (the almosthere's) and then there's the ones invited to the rooftop parties; the almosthere's dream about it, and the commoners don't even know it exists.
you will never see pictures of the latter on Grazia, just like mr ford intends (but not all the way, coward) to keep us away from his pictures.

btw, funny rumors about him and h&m. if they turned out to be true, it'd be fantastic to hear him justify how this makes sense, but not the kind of fast fashion everyone else is doing (again, and this time hypothetically, coward)

01-12-2010
barcode

Guys I hate to kill the fun, but let's try to keep the focus of the thread on Mr. Ford's career rather than his personal life. Thanks.

Last edited by Spike413; 01-12-2010 at 08:07 PM.
02-12-2010
front row

I don't care what the detractors say - 'pretentious', 'vain.' This man is a legend. He single handedly defined the modern woman of the mid 90's early 2000's and influenced a swag of designers. His clothes are impeccable, so chic, so rich and oh so sexy. Sadly this is what is lacking in today's pot purri mish mash of ill fitting clothes strung together. Where's the sex? where's the luxury? Seriously, those new photos of the womenswear line is orgasmic. It's moody, its stylish and an a ferocious assault of glamour. Thank god he's back - watch as others copy but never equal

Last edited by tctra; 02-12-2010 at 08:52 AM.
05-12-2010
tfs star

He said the women´s show was going to be available on his site since Dec, still nothing!

Madeleine Vionnet.
06-12-2010
V.I.P.

it's still December, after my calender

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, ford, gucci, life, tom