How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-02-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrison View Post
3 Asian faces did this presentation.They're Liu Wen,Fei Fei and Bonnie Chen.
Do you know who else was there?

Was Snejana?

I hope he stays in London, and I hope more designers move to London, especially from Paris. That FW has been so sad with so few big name models walking and so few prolific designers showing. Shame, because collections (at least this season) have been so much more interesting than what we saw in NY.

20-02-2011
V.I.P.

Even though S/S 2011 was kinda dated, I liked it - hey I just can't resist the Bob Mackie / Nolan Miller aesthetic. Anyhoo I hope that the upcoming collection is more modern and fresh.

20-02-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
We're not allowed to show you any pictures but trust us, the Tom Ford womenswear presentation today in London was the most amazing thing we've EVER seen! He'll have 55 stores around the world by the end of 2011, go and visit asap! LA store opens on Wednesday!!!
Wonderland Magazine

20-02-2011
V.I.P.

^kinda heard this things before

.. and the result isn't really amazing like what they said.... :p
well, i give you a second chance, Tom Ford!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliciate View Post

Hi-fives apriliciate across the internet.

20-02-2011
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliciate View Post

LOL! Seriously. I most certainly didn't lose my sleep over his comeback collecton, but i'll give him the benefit of doubt and wait to see this new effort...

20-02-2011
V.I.P.

I wonder if his theories about releasing the images from the collection at the same time that it arrives in stores, have proven beneficial? I wish we could find out somehow if the customer actually did prefer this type of cycle that Ford has created. Does it mean more profit? Or just a more exclusive brand image?

Besides, I don't see why he can't even release a preview image of some sorts. Surely, a photograph of the shoes or accessories would not be a detriment to his holy vision!

20-02-2011
Some Like It Hot

55 stores ? he must be opening two every week for an entire year.
Well he released the previous images a month before store release, i think the hype will have worked because the customer will see the image and directly be able to go and buy it, whereas with a show like... say... Marc Jacobs you see these images for a whole 6 months and get sick of seeing them after so long, so i think its probably a good idea, but it has gotten boring extremely quick!

barcode

55 stores worldwide doesn't sound quite right. As of now he's only got 20-something Tom Ford boutiques. I have a feeling that the womens collection will be carried in 55 stores including his own boutiques.

Then again I could be wrong. He's nothing if not ambitious.

20-02-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
I wonder if his theories about releasing the images from the collection at the same time that it arrives in stores, have proven beneficial? I wish we could find out somehow if the customer actually did prefer this type of cycle that Ford has created. Does it mean more profit? Or just a more exclusive brand image?
I think that it is mostly just exclusivity too, that way there won't be 800 million knock-offs by H&M, Zara, etc. by the time his collection actually gets in stores in the summer. His customer probably likes the fact that she won't see other women running around in clothes that are similar.

I too will give him the benefit of the doubt, but if it is anything like the last collection, he won't need to withhold the images any further. I'm just praying it's not all "hype" surrounded by the fact that the people who see his shows are the first. I mean the psychology behind it is brilliant as it might make people more inclined to like the collection more, but still....

21-02-2011
Mr. Magic

Quote:
The highlight of the day without a doubt has been Tom Ford's presentation. Exclusive. Or rather armored. Few appointments during the day and only a few journalists allowed. Not a single photographer.

This new kind of secrecy, especially in such a media world, is very fascinating. There obviously is a very definite plan behind it. Tom knows how to handle situations. How to go against the currents and routine we all are used to. It creates curiosity and the few chosen ones can only describe in words what they saw during the private presentation.

Tom hates using the internet to promote his collections. Hates the internet? I don't really think so. He just took the time to show each look, describe it, and let you in his imagination. An ad personam encounter. Only a few get to see it, maybe one they there will be a much desired show for a large audience. For now there are only rumors.

He is in a new phase but he didn't opt for mass production or universal communication. When you go through the euphoria created by the shows sometimes it's maddening, you never get to take a break, but when you get to sit down with just few people and have the designer introduce each model, explain where the idea for the collection came from, how he created an accessory or a dress, or why color is unusual for this collection, it's a breath of fresh air.

It's a new way to see fashion, the absolute opposite of what everyone wants at the moment. How many of you would love to see the shows, how many of you ask me if there is a way to let more people in? Is it an anti-trend?

I have to be selfish in saying that for a journalist it's an amazing moment. You get to feel the fabrics, get in touch with the designer. It's an anti-show. The looks were extremely tight to the body and in different fabrics: wool, velvet, lace, satin. Tight skirts and slim tops.

Women. Real women, not immature girls. Shaded tones on furs or fake furs in velvet, like the breitschwanz, red with a fox collar, black, green, or silk. Tapered pants or slightly larger all the way down, as Tom says like Charlie's Angels, and very feminine shoes, finally without a platform, in sating, velvet, crocodile or lizard skin.

The colors: hot pink, red, yellow, green, purple, orange, and black. Formal suits, interesting details, tube dresses, lace and velvet. Beautiful metallic purses, crocodile, fur, pony, bright colors, special closures and chains covered and hand-worked with toned down metals.

To finish, four girls wearing long dresses, black, green, yellow and purple, embroidered and with bows on the lower back, created a very sensual and new silhouette. Tom says he took his inspiration from Goya. You could guess from some of the embroideries, but adapted to a contemporary woman who likes a special kind of elegance.

Is it right or wrong not to publish the pictures online right away? It's a shame not having more people present at the presentation, but it's also an alternative way, a different road to take for a different audience.

We have to admit: as soon as you go online they copy you, and copy you, and copy you. Not being online? Is it limiting? To each their own. Tom has a very precise concept. Tomorrow he is opening his first store for women in Milan!
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
21-02-2011
V.I.P.

i won't get my hopes up this time, i'll just wait

22-02-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

Quote:
Tom Ford gets personal

Forget the lavish fashion shows. Tom Ford says he is emphasizing 'personal luxury' and will forget trying to please critics.

Tom Ford knows how to work the spotlight. During last year's awards season, the designer-director was riding the success of his first film, "A Single Man." This time around, he's introducing his long-awaited women's collection and new boutique on Rodeo Drive with a star-studded opening party Thursday.

The campaign to whet the public's appetite for the clothes began in September during New York Fashion Week, in a private showing where they were modeled by some of the most stylish women in the world (Beyoncé, Julianne Moore, Lauren Hutton and Daphne Guinness among them). With just 100 guests and no photos allowed, the event turned the fashion circus on its head and signaled that, once again, Ford was going to do things differently.

While designing for Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent in the late 1990s and early 2000s, he brought hedonism back into fashion with feather-trimmed jeans, velvet hip-huggers and keyhole cutout jersey gowns. He also ushered in the era of mass luxury, transforming Gucci from a fusty leather goods house to a global fashion leader, with sales increasing from about $230 million to $3 billion annually by the time he left.

All the while, Ford was the star, in a shirt unbuttoned over a triangle of man tan, ready to provoke with $75 Gucci condom cases and ads featuring pubic hair shaved into the shape of a GG logo.

Now, he's reading the zeitgeist again. And he's found that many women feel divorced from what the fashion world has become (in no small part thanks to him) — a place that provides entertaining content to be blogged and tweeted but that isn't necessarily a place to find something beautiful to wear.

So he's shifted focus to what he calls "personal luxury," designed with the customer in mind, not the critic.

"What interests me today, after having worked 25 years in the fashion industry, is the very best — the best fabrics, not the second best, the best quality and stitching. I want clothes that will evolve more than they will radically swing," he says in early February, during an interview at his office in the former Geffen Records building on Sunset Boulevard.

So no more blockbuster runway shows with rose petals raining down while fashion reporters scribble furiously.

"I don't want to be reviewed," he says. "I'm not an artist with an opening; this is not a film. I'm just trying to make pretty clothes. And beautiful clothes make beautiful women, but sometimes they don't make fashion news. I don't want to be pushed to think about what we have that's new when we don't need anything new except another version of what we did last year that still looks good to me."

This means the clothes will be seen when they're in stores — not six months before at big runway shows attended by fashion editors and critics. Ford is banking on his force of personality, along with the highest-quality products, to lure customers.

Where most designers need a runway to brand themselves and create an identity for lucrative accessories and beauty collections, Ford's name was already established when he left fashion for a respite in 2004. When he returned just a year later, he started from the bottom up, licensing fragrance and beauty collections to finance his future clothing ventures, including his design studio in London.

He launched his menswear line in April 2007 at his first menswear store on Madison Avenue. Since then, his slim-fitting suits and tuxedos (starting at $3,800) have become Hollywood favorites, worn by celebrities as disparate as Brad Pitt and Jay Z.

There are many custom details and options in the ready-to-wear and made-to-measure menswear. Suits can be ordered in wool, mohair, cashmere, silk jacquard or velvet. And a tie (starting at $220) can be customized from among seven widths and matched to an exact collar spread. Ford makes everything for the private-jet set, including riding clothes, riding boots, shooting clothes, ski clothes, $900 walking sticks, $4,900 moon boots and jeans with 18-karat gold buttons.

The women's collection will be just as comprehensive, with handbags, shoes and jewelry, as well as clothes for every occasion. The spring collection features an ivory viscose peak lapel jacket ($4,500) and wide leg pants ($1,700); gold-dipped feather earrings ($1,390); black lace and feather spiked heels ($2,410) and many gowns so luxe — a silk georgette hand-embroidered fringe evening column, for example — they are listed simply as "price upon request."

"Even if they are not affordable to everyone, I want people to think, 'If I had the money, I'd love that,'" the designer says.

Ford is as controlled as Colin Firth's character in "A Single Man." Every surface in his nearly all-black office is sleek and spotless. There is no clutter. In fact, clutter probably doesn't exist in Ford's world. On a shelf, there are five golden statuettes — not Oscars (yet), but fashion awards. He positions himself in the chair facing the windows, which are mirrored on the outside. Every once in a while, a young woman strolling down Sunset will stop to check her hair and makeup, which amuses Ford to no end. One day, it was Britney Spears surrounded by a phalanx of photographers.

He turns 50 this year, and he couldn't be more pleased. "When I was a kid, I always wanted to be 50," he says. "I didn't feel comfortable as a kid. I wasn't good at sports. I wanted to read things other kids weren't reading. I wanted to be at my parents' cocktail parties and mix martinis. I wanted to live the fantasy life I saw in films. Which is why when I was younger, I fell for Richard Buckley, who was 38 when I was 25." He's referring to his longtime companion, with whom he shares homes in Los Angeles, London and Santa Fe, N.M.

Ford's art-directed lifestyle can be intimidating. After all, this is a man who has a different "look" for every locale. When asked about weaknesses in the facade, the only things he can come up with are fondnesses for Hostess doughnuts and "Desperate Housewives." "Maybe I do project an image that's a little hard," he says. "Though it seems to work, so maybe I better not mess with it."

Ford will launch cosmetics in the fall and begin work on his next film soon after. For him, filmmaking seems to be the ultimate form of control. "It's as real as real life. It's a whole world and you control whether they live or die. It's wild," he says.

He's also dressing two people for the Oscars. (Of course, he wouldn't dream of spoiling the big red carpet reveal by saying exactly who they are.) "Friends, who I also admire and think are great," is all he says. "I'm not getting a room at the Beverly Hills Hotel with 20 dresses and all the stylists coming in, like I used to at Gucci."

It's also likely that a few of his famous friends will drop by Thursday's opening party at the Rodeo Drive store, which happens to be directly across from Gucci, his old employer. "It was the only location with enough space for us. And honestly, it's not big enough." The store opens to the public Friday.

Right now, his ambitions are boundless. He points out that Giorgio Armani, Karl Lagerfeld and Ralph Lauren are all in their 70s, and says, .... "I don't believe there is anyone else coming up behind who has the commercial appeal across a broad range of products globally. So my goal is to be the next … take your pick."
LATIMES.COM

V.I.P.

the torment starts again

22-02-2011
V.I.P.

Personally, I'm quite curious about his womenswear store. Will it be designed in the same vein as his menswear stores? Does anyone have any preview photos?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, ford, gucci, life, tom