How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-06-2012
Some Like It Hot

^Thanks Flashbang .

10-07-2012
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Ford Invasion

TOM FORD will open his first British standalone store on Sloane Street. A date has not yet been confirmed.

The shop will occupy an 8,000 square-foot space at 201-206 Sloane Street, the Knightsbridge end of the street, near Harvey Nichols and Sergio Rossi. The designer will pay £1.3 million a year in rent to landlord Cadogan Estate, over a decade, The Sunday Times reports.

Ford opened his first British womenswear shop in Harrods in July last year. His collections are also stocked in Harvey Nichols and Selfridges.
*Vogue.co.uk

Some Like It Hot

*Dailymail.co.uk

fashion elite

^ only tom could make me think daniel craig looks better with his clothes on

07-01-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Tom Ford promises 'real' LFW show

Tom Ford has confirmed he is to hold his first full-scale catwalk during London Fashion Week in February, deciding it is time to ''embrace'' publicity after previously unveiling his new collections in private.
Tom Ford has promised a ''real show'' during London Fashion Week next month.
The American designer, who has previously opted reveal his new collections in private presentations with no photographers, thinks he has to ''embrace'' a catwalk show after seeing his empire expand dramatically.
Tom, 51, revealed to The Times magazine: ''This is going to be for 500 to 1,000 people. Photographers, bloggers - a regular, real show.
''I want to show in London because I now have 100 stores worldwide. The company has jumped and I can no longer service the stores by not showing. So I have to love it and embrace it.''
The Texas-born designer also explained why he launched his own label in 2005 - because he couldn't find anything to wear which was stylist as well as comfortable.
He explained: ''I literally could not find what I wanted to wear. I went to Anderson and Sheppard on Savile Row - which is great - but my suits gave me a backache. A backache. Savile Row tailoring comes from military heritage.
''I try everything on. Just as I do with everything, I'm always aware of trying to make someone look as thin, tall and strong as possible.''

Contact Music

front row

OMG great news, thanks for the update!

07-01-2013
Wanderlust

This makes me super happy !!!

07-01-2013
backstage pass

Ohhh. So cool!

07-01-2013
backstage pass

Looks like Tom realized his name isn't enough to keep him in high fashion's limelight: Sure, the clothes (menswear for the CEOs and ballers and bags for their women) may turn a plump profit, but his name/brand isn't want it used to be, definitely not in high fashion with the samo samo he's turning in. So, it's time to be less snooty and show to and with the commoners (including those bloggers... Eeeek!).

07-01-2013
Some Like It Hot

^The figures certainly don't reflect your opinion, His eyewear and cosmetics devision continue to grow which have been successful from their launch, recently launching Tom Ford Noir which has sold pretty well, he's set to open his flagship store on Sloane Street after signing a ten year lease as well as countless others worldwide and he is no longer on the same level as his days at Gucci, you buy a whole different level of craftsmanship and service.

backstage pass

^^^ I never disputed his figures. I even mentioned that his clothes are selling well in my post. I'm sure his eyewear, cosmetics and perfumes are doing very well, but they're not high fashion-- which is something he no longer seems to be making an impact on anymore.

Of course his designs are impeccably made, but so are Hermes'-- and they still produce a show. My statement simply implied Tom realized that he has to step out of his ivory tower and huge ego and show-and-tell like everyone else, since his designs aren't exactly setting the high fashion world ablaze.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how he will present a show, with models and not celebrities, hopefully.

08-01-2013
Some Like It Hot

^I have to disagree on the fact his clothes aren't high fashion, they are I don't know what your definition of high fashion is but for me it's quality and exclusivity, I think it boils down to the fact his clothes and accessories aren't splashed across every glossy magazine and seen on every celebrity known to man, he's very specific who wears his clothes and who his client is.
The quality of his cosmetics and eyewear are on a higher standard to say... Chanel or Dior, His cosmetics are produced by Estée Lauder, I think you should take a look around one of his stores or his concessions.

I think what it boils down to with a lot of people is the impatience of the public, he does show every season with everyone else but to a select group of editors, buyers and writers, he just releases the pictures when he feels necessary, last season we saw them incredibly early, of course I'm happy he's doing a show because I always loved his shows for YSL and Gucci, but I think he gave in to the pressure, Hedi did the same with his first collections for Saint Laurent, but I don't really recall anyone being up in the air about that.

backstage pass

^^^ I don't think I may have been clear: I stated that Tom's eyewear, cosmetics and perfumes are doing very well, but they're not high fashion. His clothes are very high fashion (and of course, extremely well made. I only have one of his bags, and it's unquestionably a luxurious and sturdy piece), but they're not making the high impact in the high fashion world like his designs for Gucci (and YSL) did.

Maybe he doesn't care for that type of impact anymore, but I think he does, and that's why he's changing his mind about being so exclusive. As you've mentioned, perhaps the pressure of presenting a show is inevitable. And only presenting to an exclusive select few comes across as a very unlikable gesture-- especially in the days of bloggers, where everyone is included. In any case, I'm glad he's come around again because the manner in which he was presenting his collection was so unattractive-- including the horribly edited and produced videos.

10-01-2013
Some Like It Hot

During LCM F/W 2013.14 collections

*Vogue.co.uk & 10magazine.com

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
^^^ I don't think I may have been clear: I stated that Tom's eyewear, cosmetics and perfumes are doing very well, but they're not high fashion. His clothes are very high fashion (and of course, extremely well made. I only have one of his bags, and it's unquestionably a luxurious and sturdy piece), but they're not making the high impact in the high fashion world like his designs for Gucci (and YSL) did.
In what world could that ever be true? His line is indisputably on the same level, or higher, than Gucci and YSL. His products are better quality and have much higher price points. His eyeglasses and sunglasses are much more expensive and better quality than other comparable fashion brands (Chanel, Dior, Gucci, Versace, DG...) Have you ever heard of his Private Blend perfume collection? Have you seen the prices? Have you seen how well they're selling? Show me another mainstream high fashion brand that has ventured into that market with such success?

His advertising might not be as in-your-face and everywhere as his competitors but he has unmatchable clout among people who idolize and buy high fashion. That is true high fashion imo.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, ford, gucci, life, tom