How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-09-2014
barcode

^ So what you're saying is that because you don't share the same taste as someone and perceive him to be arrogant (cause let's be honest, you've never met him and don't know squat about what he's actually like as a person) you derive pleasure from what you view as his "failure".

If that's not the most blatant and pathetic example of why the age of the internet has bred a society of people who take pride in hating the most ridiculous of things for no good reason then I really, truly don't know what is.

You hate the man and his work. What legitimate reason -- other than spewing negativity -- did you have for clicking on a thread devoted entirely to him and his work? Honestly I feel like as a moderator you should probably set a better example than posting such unabashedly vitriolic comments.

26-09-2014
backstage pass

Yes, of course his clothes sell, dior. So does his cosmetics, fragrances and accessories. They're very high quality. But that just means Tom has a strong business that makes expensive, premium products. I do own some of it. I don't know about the quality of Dior because I'm neither a fan of Raf nor Kris.

We're talking about his current designs and the influences they have in high fashion, which no longer holds the prestige, the sway he had with Gucci. Even he knows how ridiculously elitist his return attitude towards his presentation was-- thus the complete 360 of streaming of his latest offering.

I do think that he's on to something with this LA stint. It's definitely a gamble; if his presentation in LA-- which is guaranteed to include his movie star friends, fail to ignite any buzz for his label, then his name will be tarnished. And It think the combination of LA/Hollywood, movie stars and Tom Ford happens to be quite a great match, so the odds are good for him...

26-09-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
^ So what you're saying is that because you don't share the same taste as someone and perceive him to be arrogant (cause let's be honest, you've never met him and don't know squat about what he's actually like as a person) you derive pleasure from what you view as his "failure".

If that's not the most blatant and pathetic example of why the age of the internet has bred a society of people who take pride in hating the most ridiculous of things for no good reason then I really, truly don't know what is.

You hate the man and his work. What legitimate reason -- other than spewing negativity -- did you have for clicking on a thread devoted entirely to him and his work? Honestly I feel like as a moderator you should probably set a better example than posting such unabashedly vitriolic comments.
Where did I say I "hate the man and his work"? Hate is such a strong word. Yes I dislike his recent collections, yes I find him very pretentious and arrogant judging by his actions and interviews (and that's more than enough), and yes I find very amusing how his, again, pretentious and arrogant comeback totally backfired. As far as i'm aware, this is a thread to discuss his career and company, not a worship temple. Voicing a negative opinion doesn't make me "hater", it simply makes me someone with a different view than you.

barcode

^ I think admitting to enjoying someone's apparent failure is the very definition of being a "hater" actually. You don't have to worship anything, but your particular comment didn't add anything of substance or quality to an ongoing discussion. Instead it loudly and proudly stated that you take amusement in his "fall" from relevance or whatever you want to label it and that was it.

26-09-2014
Ère de ℳodernité

^Aren't you overreacting a little? Tom has a very polarizing personality and has attempted to make such a big deal of his come-back that Marc10's reaction doesn't appear to be particularly nasty to me. While I am against hateful comments on the Internet, this wasn't one and I wouldn't have targeted Marc10 like you did. Maybe you should take a step back and consider the comment as what it was: simply someone's opinion.

V.I.P.

And to add, I click on various threads through tfs - with no apparent aim or ulterior motive. Whatever happens to be at the top of the list, and if I feel interested, I'm clicking it and if I want to, I'll add to my 2 pennies. It has nothing to do with going into a thread with a purpose of "ruining" any ongoing discussions. I've been accused of that in the past, it's such a baseless accusation and worse, I find that such a cheap shot. It's akin to some pre-schoolers hogging the sandbox.

26-09-2014
barcode

You're entitled to disagree with me, and I respect that you might, but I stand by what I said. Honestly the amount of negativity that pervades many of the threads on this site is why I choose not to visit it like I once did.

I'll think twice before voicing concern that something comes off as negative bordering on nasty again. My bad.

27-09-2014
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
^Aren't you overreacting a little? Tom has a very polarizing personality and has attempted to make such a big deal of his come-back that Marc10's reaction doesn't appear to be particularly nasty to me. While I am against hateful comments on the Internet, this wasn't one and I wouldn't have targeted Marc10 like you did. Maybe you should take a step back and consider the comment as what it was: simply someone's opinion.
But the point you missed was that although it is his opinion some people online are stepping over the line of their opinion to being blatant bullies simply because it doesn't fit their ideal in their head purely because they are sitting behind the safety of their computer screens.

I can see both sides of the coin but at the same time Marc10's opinion is a little over embellished to call someone arrogant, sexist and shallow about someone we can only summarise from the handful of interviews we've all read about Tom.

What I would say is regardless of these statements if any of you guys saw him in the street you would all run up to him for an autograph and a picture.

fashion insider

It's really sad seeing him trying so hard. He's so lost is not even funny. Poor guy. From secret presentations and ‘hiding’ his clothes for six months to live-stream his shows... From NY, to London to LA. It doesn't get any more ridiculous than this.

28-09-2014
backstage pass

^^^ I don't get the impression he's trying so hard, nor do I get the impression he's lost his way. He's not the leader he once was-- but no one in this industry remains one for long.

I think Tom's an extremely intelligent and self-aware individual who's very in touch with how his label and his status is perceived in the industry. As aware as he is how his name is now a household one in premium luxury, I think he's very much aware how his relevance as a trailblazer in high fashion has slipped. He's clearly aware of the negative reviews and even acknowledges them. And rather than ban critics who dare speak negatively of his fashions, or pretend everything's just fine, like the petulant, spoiled Dolce guys, Tom's trying new avenues to find a place for his brand of fashion. He knows things are no longer as they were in 1995, when he reigned supreme, so he's trying new things for his brand of fashion. That's not a man who's lost-- it's a man who's still thinking on his feet.

29-09-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
But the point you missed was that although it is his opinion some people online are stepping over the line of their opinion to being blatant bullies simply because it doesn't fit their ideal in their head purely because they are sitting behind the safety of their computer screens.

I can see both sides of the coin but at the same time Marc10's opinion is a little over embellished to call someone arrogant, sexist and shallow about someone we can only summarise from the handful of interviews we've all read about Tom.

What I would say is regardless of these statements if any of you guys saw him in the street you would all run up to him for an autograph and a picture.

That's the general way the internet works - and I would hardly call it bullying. More unfiltered opinions? Yes. But to call it bullying would imply someone is being bullied and I'm pretty sure Tom is not getting his emotions wrecked because of the internet. It's probably more offensive to people who've really experienced bullying for you to loosely throw that term around like that.

I have my own opinion of Tom Ford - and it falls in line with Marc10's - and it's precisely because of the handful of interviews I've read about him. That's because I don't know him personally, so that's all I have to work off of. I never said my opinion was right, nor did Marc10. It's simply someone else's opinion.

29-09-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
You're entitled to disagree with me, and I respect that you might, but I stand by what I said. Honestly the amount of negativity that pervades many of the threads on this site is why I choose not to visit it like I once did.

I'll think twice before voicing concern that something comes off as negative bordering on nasty again. My bad.
Beautifully said Spike413, completely agree with every point you made in this thread. As a long term member of TFS, i consider it my online home really, I have as well found myself turned off by incredible negativity, and petty comments that are the norm these days all over the site. It's making me less inclined to visit as well, sometimes i don't even bother finishing reading the comments. Nice to see other people noticing that, and its even worse when moderators bring that spiteful negative energy to threads, this place used be cool, and constructive in its criticism, now it feels like a comment section at Just Jared.etc

I mean that said, i can easily ignore, so all i can say about the attacks on TF is that the man is a quintessential survivor, he will be here long after the criticism zooms out. He has too much knowledge, smarts, and damn common sense to be ran out of the industry. Despised his last collection, but maybe like with others, once i seen it in his boutiques broken down, it will make more sense. I do think the move to LA is bold, but doesn't "seem" like the right move. He might prove me wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

29-09-2014
rising star

Honestly I like the move. Los Angeles has a huge growing potential to be a major fashion capital. BCBG and Tadashi are some of the other big names that show in LA as well. With enough star power from designers LA perhaps might join as the fifth fashion capital. In the United States LA is the second fashion capital after NY after all.

It's only a matter of time before Hedi Slimane, Jeremy Scott, and Bernhard Willhelm would join the LA calendar. And why not? Why stick to such a tradition of only 4 capitals?

Also, it's not just Hollywood stars that wear Tom Ford. I always see people buy and browse in the Tom Ford boutique in Rodeo Drive, plus I have friends who splurge on Tom Ford. His move is probably to appeal to the customer demographic as well.

29-09-2014
Fat Karl

I'm also not quite sure why people want to fault him for showing runway shows now, producing livestreams, etc. just because he had at one point intentionally decided against those things. I really don't think it has anything to do with him going back on his word or chickening out or buckling under pressure - I think it's actually very admirable that he's been in control the whole (typical Tom). Why would anyone fault him for taking his time and figuring things out before jumping right into runway shows, or right into livestreams, etc. I don't think there's anything ironic or pathetic about it at all. In fact - I'm glad someone is still being level headed about all this ridiculous immediacy we have in fashion now. Why should everyone blindly participate in every new fashion innovation. Instead - it's so much more thoughtful to carefully plan these things, wait till you and/or the brand is ready to make those steps. It's very calculated and very intentional and all the better for it.

backstage pass

Oh my God, no offense but if this isn't attention seeking and creating fake-buzz I don't know what is. Turns out he's actually not leaving.

Quote:
London: Tom, Please Don't Go

TOM FORD has explained his decision to show in LA next season to all those Londoners up in fashion arms about his "abandonment" of our fair capital. Keep calm and carry on, the Texan says, it is merely a convenient sartorial vacation.

"I love London, and I am not abandoning London Fashion Week," the designer told WWD. "It's a one time thing, it made sense for me, and I plan to be back in September."

Ford - who has previously expressed his dislike for red-carpet dressing, asserting: "It's not a creative process, dressing actresses for the Oscars" - planned the switch to coincide with the Academy Awards. February's Fashion Week schedule begins a week early next year, meaning that the Oscars will take place during LFW, making it impossible for Ford to make his usual trip to the Awards to dress his chosen starlet and dapper gentlemen.

Ford has previously dressed actresses including Gwyneth Paltrow and Jennifer Lawrence for the Oscars and its after parties.
Vogue.co.uk

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, ford, gucci, life, tom