How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-11-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by helena+Nov 16 2004, 01:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(helena @ Nov 16 2004, 01:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is that not the foundation of a meritocracy?
[snapback]434450[/snapback]
[/b]

education is not the foundation of a meritocracy: celebrity is. a tom ford would never have come about if he had been born in the french countryside. the french are much too refined to worship celebrity like we do here.

<!--QuoteBegin-Acid
@Nov 16 2004, 01:12 PM
he lives here?
he must be a total recluse then.......nobody i know has ever seen him anywhere
[snapback]434476[/snapback]
[/quote]

he went out two nights ago to the "being julia" premiere...so he's around your neck of the woods somewhere. london is the "new" new york, after all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51741170.jpg (25.6 KB, 158 views)

16-11-2004
Swim Upstream

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Nov 16 2004, 03:08 PM
education is not the foundation of a meritocracy: celebrity is. a tom ford would never have come about if he had been born in the french countryside. the french are much too refined to worship celebrity like we do here.
[snapback]434565[/snapback]

my prediction is that he'll run for president one day....

16-11-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by helena@Nov 16 2004, 02:00 PM
sorry but am I alone in thinking that working a 35 hour week is a good thing? surely that makes for a happier, more well rounded person & therefore population? The french are streets ahead of us all when it comes to culture, intellectualism and general level of education. They learn english & spanish from the age of six.... They have an extremely advanced state education system. Is that not the foundation of a meritocracy? They are not a nation plagued by obesity or poverty.....and thats just me getting started on the topic. How can this moron of a man, from Texas, possibly say that the french are an abberation?

...no doubt he'll have his sights set on high things though....

Your comments make France look so appealing, and i thought I was planning to defect there in my later years because women are alllowed to age gracefully and are considered sexy much longer. Vanity is my real motivation, but your lil shpiel sounds so much cooler. Hm... Maybe that will be my new excuse
I def don't think a moron could reach his level of success and that he is so very gifted, at the very least as a provacateur and business man. But his comments were rude, biggoted, and merit the backlash. Dumb dumb.

16-11-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by luvkoshi@Nov 16 2004, 02:16 PM
But his comments were rude, biggoted, and merit the backlash. Dumb dumb.
[snapback]434584[/snapback]
you must remember his comments are a reaction to the years of very negative reception he's been given by the french.

16-11-2004
windowshopping

did Tom Ford or Bill O'Reilly said that?

16-11-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by helena@Nov 16 2004, 08:00 PM
sorry but am I alone in thinking that working a 35 hour week is a good thing? surely that makes for a happier, more well rounded person & therefore population?
The annual hours actually worked per person in employment have gone down significantly in most countries over the last century, and France is no exception.

Some critics have, however, argued that one of the main reasons for the economic crisis in countries such as Germany and France is the relatively short work week.

16-11-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Just don't listen to their pop-music...

Interestingly the French have artisanal colleges where you can learn winemaking, cheesmaking, glassblowing and all sorts of other things...sometimes tradition is wise..

16-11-2004
fashion icon

He is pissed because he is no longer with YSl and everyone knows the label is the better for it. It probably hurts him even more that Hedi Slimane and Alber Elbaz the two he replaced at YSL are now thriving at their respective houses. He is a bitter man who is too immature and clouded to not remove his own isolated experiences from a whole population of people.

16-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by helena@Nov 16 2004, 11:00 AM
sorry but am I alone in thinking that working a 35 hour week is a good thing? surely that makes for a happier, more well rounded person & therefore population? The french are streets ahead of us all when it comes to culture, intellectualism and general level of education. They learn english & spanish from the age of six.... They have an extremely advanced state education system. Is that not the foundation of a meritocracy? They are not a nation plagued by obesity or poverty.....and thats just me getting started on the topic. How can this moron of a man, from Texas, possibly say that the french are an abberation?

...no doubt he'll have his sights set on high things though....
I agree helena

I think he's just angry that YSL talked trash about him all the time.

17-11-2004
fashion elite

I'm sick of him.

17-11-2004
tfs star

I think you've all raised good points in defense of France, but I doubt any of the French could care less what he thinks.

Perhaps he thinks he's safe now that he no longer has to appeal to their market as he did in fashion, and that now he can begin to charm more 'civilised' nations.

It's strange, I always found him rather charming and articulate in interviews, but this kind of talk is very unprofessional and childish.

17-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

i enjoy all the posts on this thread...

17-11-2004
rising star

Dear Tommy

You're not completely wrong when you say "French people refuse all that is new as a matter of principle", but in fashion they are pretty mind-opened and i'm sorry to say that but 'NEW' is not the exact word to describe your work.
Maybe in Texas SEX and BODY NAKED are revolutionnary but in Europe and specially in France ....please! come on! Try something differents.

Good luck for your movie
Au revoir et a jamais!

17-11-2004
V.I.P.

we need a middle finger emoticon

17-11-2004
backstage pass

Tom, je te pardonne pour ces mots malheureux.
Je suis certain qu'ils n'expriment pas réellement le fond de ta pensée.
J'ai appris que tu étais dépressif. Ceci explique peut-être cela.
Soigne-toi bien et reviens-nous vite.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2010, ford, gucci, life, march, november, tom