How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-01-2013
Some Like It Hot

Tom Ford Menswear F/W 13.14 London
Quote:
“Check on check on tweed on check,” the designer deadpanned during a presentation of his youthful, sophisticated collection with a sporty, early Sixties feel. On the final day of London Collections: Men, Ford showed an abundance of Glen plaid and check suits, many of them three-piece and worn with roll neck sweaters instead of shirts.

The collection also featured a lighthearted lineup of Fair Isle cashmere sweaters — which he paired with check trousers and loafers — and other knits with sheared mink linings. Indeed, the fur was out in force in shape of shaggy fox fur boots and coat collars, and in a luscious overcoat that Ford said would appeal to his Russian clientele. For evening, textured tuxedo jackets came in shades of teal or burnt orange, and were paired with waistcoats and elongated shoes.

*WWD.COM

11-01-2013
backstage pass

gq.com

British GQ Twitter

Last edited by Egoiste; 11-01-2013 at 01:48 PM.
11-01-2013
V.I.P.

Hey Tom, enuff of the charade and just accpet that you are just a regular designer with nothing new to say!

11-01-2013
V.I.P.

I like Tom Ford, but this is a big HELL NO lol

11-01-2013
V.I.P.

looks old to me...

Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMajor View Post
Hey Tom, enuff of the charade and just accpet that you are just a regular designer with nothing new to say!
Where is the charade? He presented his collection to buyers and editors. There wasn't any pomp and circumstance here...or did I miss something?

Not to bring up the debate that seems to run in every Tom Ford thread, but why is he needing to reinvent the wheel every season? I read an article with Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele saying that she finds it strange that "all these young designers change every six months." Tom has stated himself, enough times, that he isn't out to change fashion, he is designing for his customer, who is clearly snapping it all up.

11-01-2013
fashion insider

^
I am not fond of Tom's design but I totally can respect that opinion.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInNJ View Post
Where is the charade? He presented his collection to buyers and editors. There wasn't any pomp and circumstance here...or did I miss something?

Not to bring up the debate that seems to run in every Tom Ford thread, but why is he needing to reinvent the wheel every season? I read an article with Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele saying that she finds it strange that "all these young designers change every six months." Tom has stated himself, enough times, that he isn't out to change fashion, he is designing for his customer, who is clearly snapping it all up.
This comment sums up everything I've been saying in TF threads for years!

This collection is nothing new but it looks like the best kind of posh clothing. The details are what make this collection great imo.

Also, I'm loving the turtlenecks her! Ive been looking for a decent turtleneck everywhere this season and they are nowhere to be found. Hopefully this is a sign.

V.I.P.

I actually love check on check! My gripe is that there's nothing that really stands out here. Not a bad collection, just nothing really wowing me or making it memorable. Except the turtleneck....LOVE!

Alluring

Don't judge me, but I'm kinda loving the fur overcoat

11-01-2013
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
I actually love check on check! My gripe is that there's nothing that really stands out here. Not a bad collection, just nothing really wowing me or making it memorable. Except the turtleneck....LOVE!
I love the turtleneck too, I kind of want to buy it too...

I'm hoping the rest is better, Tom always executes fantastic outerwear and evening wear.

fashion insider

Who cares what Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele says Maybe it is selling to his loyal customers but it is boring to see the same old suits every time. I'm glad there are at least some good sweaters and fur coats here. You can still be classically stylish in other things than a suit Tom but again who the hell cares what I say?

11-01-2013
Some Like It Hot

I think this Tom Ford quote pretty much sums up what a few people have said in this thread-
Quote:
I'm a commercial fashion designer I've always designed jackets with two sleeves, people have two arms, it doesn't mean I don't admire jackets with three sleeves or that can turn into tables or that layers and layers come off of them like little dolls in Russia but I'm a practical, commercial fashion designer and so I love it, its creative for me it's a creative endeavor it's an artistic endeavor but it is not art for me now for Alexander McQueen it was art he had to express himself and that was his art.

Last edited by Chanelcouture09; 11-01-2013 at 05:27 PM.
11-01-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
I think this Tom Ford quote pretty much sums up what a few people have said in this thread-
Ok, I think I can appreciate Tom Ford a lot more after reading that.

fashion insider

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a commercial fashion designer I've always designed jackets with two sleeves, people have two arms, it doesn't mean I don't admire jackets with three sleeves or that can turn into tables or that layers and layers come off of them like little dolls in Russia but I'm a practical, commercial fashion designer and so I love it, its creative for me it's a creative endeavor it's an artistic endeavor but it is not art for me now for Alexander McQueen it was art he had to express himself and that was his art.
Tom is very eloquent, yes and I love his ideas in and outside of fashion but I just feel he should explore a bit more. Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Hermes are commercial too but their menswear is much more diverse and new every season. But if it is working for Tom why bother?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, f or w, ford, london, menswear, tom