How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
I also think that he's collections desperately needs to be presented in a propper runaway show, lookbooks are not doing any justice. It makes the collection even more boring and dull.
I completely agree. These type of photos do nothing for the collection, they just push it into even more bland territory than what it is. I like a few pieces, but there's nothing that stands out to me...and the last two collections honestly did have at least one piece that made quite an impact.

18-11-2011
V.I.P.

someone is still stuck in early Gucci and YSL days

18-11-2011
backstage pass

I don't know... I like this and I hate it. It's pretty but we've seen most of it before. It represents glamor though which is what Ford is all about so the prettiness combined with the Tom Ford name will have the pieces flying off the racks.

and btw I think Tom Ford knows exactly what he's doing. I'm not buying into the whole secrecy and exclusivity crap. It's marketing genius!... make something seem to be exclusive, the public will think it hot commodity so they purchase it because they believe they're getting their hands on some exquisite and rare piece of clothing.

18-11-2011
tfs star

A lesser designer would've been ripped to shreds. This is boring zzzzzzzzz.

The future is stupid

I always like the idea of Tom Ford so much better than the reality.

18-11-2011
V.I.P.

Too many of the looks are too fussy. I kinda like the direction that he was going with this set of clothes, especially the peasant dresses (which I tend not to like) but I think that they could use another round of editing and more relaxed poses by the models. This collection is more modern than the last one, but it is still dated, or in this case it seems like it is two seasons too late, like a knock off of the SS 2011 collections.

Quote:
But he left his imprint on Gucci, i think Tom Ford give identity for Gucci, Frida only follow he.
Yeah but Frida is doing a better job at taking the Tom Ford imprint from the early 00s and its underlying influences like YSL, and presenting them in a modern and well edited way.

Last edited by agee; 18-11-2011 at 07:18 PM.
18-11-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
Yeah but Frida is doing a better job at taking the Tom Ford imprint from the early 00s and its underlying influences like YSL, and presenting them in a modern and well edited way.
That's the problem of most of the established designers, I believe. They rarely show us something new. Whether it's because they have ran out of ideas or just they're so sure they already proved themselves and that's why they stop creating, is a good question.

fashion icon

Everything about this is just so.........average

18-11-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Agee, exactly and in my opinion Gucci become a "Glamorous clean". I'm not a big fan of Frida but i like
I was so looking forward to this collection and the end was obvious ... and I think: all drama and suspense to see this collection is so shame, This is really necessary?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalefashion View Post
But he left his imprint on Gucci, i think Tom Ford give identity for Gucci, Frida only follow he.
I know what Tom Ford Gave to Gucci, maybe Gucci wouldn't exist anymore whether Tom Ford hadn't been its designer but is a little weird, Frida did a similar collection over a year ago. First than Ford.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
Completely agree with this. Which makes this whole secret presentation thing even more pointless because he's really not setting any trends with his recent collections and I doubt Zara and H&M would feel the need to rip off any of those designs. Tom Ford has got to be one of the most overrated designers out there. I liked what he did for Gucci but I can't help but feel that he probably had a really good team working with him there because his efforts for his eponymous label have been awfully underwhelming.
for all of the uninitiated, this remains EXACTLY why he does it. he's not trying to create a "trendy" house. he's not trying to make headlines. he's creating a house for those who have money, know they have money, and want quality timeless pieces to outfit their busy lives. it's so funny that the tom ford haters have come out in force for this collection when it echos the sweet ladylike stuff we saw in paris in milan, it picks up on the intricate organic vibe from givenchy and mcqueen, and provides the perfect complement for all of the ethnic/earthy collections we saw from everyone from bottega to buberry.

the only thing is that we haven't already seen lady gaga cobbling around in it. we haven't seen the twi-hards obsess over it on the red carpet. and we haven't seen the mass market dilute the stuff before it even hits the rack.

Last edited by mikeijames; 19-11-2011 at 02:37 AM.
19-11-2011
Looking Up

Say whatever you want, but this is what women want to wear. It's luscious and it's glamorous.
Sure, it's too Gucci and he doesn't seem to be moving forward, but Tom isn't stupid, he obviously doesn't want to move forward. What he created at Gucci still works today. He's thinking on the same level as Ralph Lauren and Giorgio Armani.

19-11-2011
fashion insider

^^ As someone that really admires the Tom Ford aesthetic, i honestly think that the fact he hides his collections is a pure marketing ploy, not because he is afraid that they become diluted on the high street or they became less exclusive because of the exposure , but because he clearly understands that he has nothing new or really special to offer, something that will create the amount of fascination he produced in the old days, and if he wants to maintain the aura the Tom Ford brand created, he needs to add those clothes extra value, value they would not have if they had stood head to head with other rich people's favourites.

19-11-2011
front row

This looks like a catalogue for Mango. For some reason, the colors along with the use of material make the clothes look cheap.

Still the same old Tom Ford. Nothing special then. Nothing special now.

Funny how most of those who insist that this is what women desire are actually... men. Well, Tom Ford's most vocal supporters have usually been male. Unless you're a tart who married for money and can afford a personal trainer 24/7. Or a celebrity. Or a supermodel.

Honestly, Tom Ford should stick to designing for men.

Last edited by Uemarasan; 19-11-2011 at 05:35 AM.
19-11-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
I always like the idea of Tom Ford so much better than the reality.
Perfect summation.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, ford, london, s or s, tom