How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-11-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
I always like the idea of Tom Ford so much better than the reality.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
^^ As someone that really admires the Tom Ford aesthetic, i honestly think that the fact he hides his collections is a pure marketing ploy, not because he is afraid that they become diluted on the high street or they became less exclusive because of the exposure , but because he clearly understands that he has nothing new or really special to offer, something that will create the amount of fascination he produced in the old days, and if he wants to maintain the aura the Tom Ford brand created, he needs to add those clothes extra value, value they would not have if they had stood head to head with other rich people's favourites.
I agree, though I feel the super exclusivity is perhaps having the opposite effect. One of the main reasons why I find the collection so darn underwhelming is because the expectations were so high in the first place. When one is staking a claim to exclusivity (and pricing it accordingly), then the least one ought to ensure is that the design justifies the price and hype. This collection comes a cropper on both grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
Funny how most of those who insist that this is what women desire are actually... men. Well, Tom Ford's most vocal supporters have usually been male. Unless you're a tart who married for money and can afford a personal trainer 24/7. Or a celebrity. Or a supermodel.

Honestly, Tom Ford should stick to designing for men.
Absolutely. As a woman, even if I had millions to fritter away in designer clothes, I'd rather buy another achingly beautiful Elie Saab couture gown even if I own a dozen pieces from the collection already than a lacklustre and hackneyed Tom Ford piece. I guess that's just me, but however rich I am, I still would want to shell out money on something which is well and truly extraordinary, rather than on something which I don't personally find all that.

19-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
I guess that's just me, but however rich I am, I still would want to shell out money on something which is well and truly extraordinary, rather than on something which I don't personally find all that.
Or alternatively spend the money on a classic / timeless piece that would be your signature item that people will identify with you for years to come. To me that is the problem with this collection, it is neither flora nor fauna, it is neither mindblowingly creative or artistic nor impeccably classic or timeless. It seems like a collection for a 30 / 40-something trendwhore.

19-11-2011
windowshopping

This collection looks very pleasing, refreshing, reminisce of his Gucci & YSL days. Very chic & impressive. Last but not least, they are so wearable. How many of you (who criticises so damn much) do actually go out & buy latest 'cutting edge' designs from fashion houses each season?

Tom Ford is a marketing genius, no one is denying it. Everything he does is marketing. He is over-hyped. He is everywhere. And some of you just can't stand it. There is so much hype that he does not seem to live up to it. So most of you seem to think so. There are pieces I love, and there are some that I don't. As do most fashion collections everywhere.

Has anyone actually given Tom Ford a chance - going to the actual boutique & trying them on? A fraction maybe. A lot of the stuff there I would actually consider purchasing for my partner. (But I am biased, having owned several suits & sports jackets, & leather bags. But I vouch of quality that are hard to come across the days.) That python bag is drop-dead gorgeous. Those skirts are soooooooo sexy that I wanna pull my hair off my head. The suits are hormone-surging, a sure neck-breaker. Tonight I will have a hard time sleeping.

So why Tom Ford? I know a thing or two about his menswear so hear me out. When I first heard about the price points for his suits, I said f*ck that, that is absolutely ridiculous. Who, in the right state of mind would pay that much for a suit. Heck, I don't even wear a suit to work. I begun my research, and what people would not tell you, that his suits takes a lot of work to built. I have a knack for working sleeve (surgeon's cuff) buttons on suits. You don't see it on Zegna RTW, Armani, Ralph Lauren, etc but can be done bespoke upon request at your bespoke tailor or at Savile Row. I was impressed to seen them on TF, and the attention to detail for these cuffs are phenomenal. The milanese button the lapels takes great traditional skills that are seldom seen on large name brands but can be done bespoke. When he wanted that, he recruited a bunch of italian artisans ladies who knows the know-how to his factory, and how glad they were to be able to revive this important traditional handicraft. The roping of the shoulder are inspired by Anderson & Sheppherd at Savile Row, and he makes no denial that he had a few suits done by them after leaving Gucci (but wasn't happy with it because he argued with them how roped he wants his shoulders & how wide his lapels to be). Yes his suits are made in Zegna factory but the factory & workers are separated physically from Zegna's mainline to prevent any overlapping of ideas that may dilute either brands. Tom Ford took inspirations from traditional English & Italian workmanship to his own RTW. An amazing feat.

Many will have you believe that have a bespoke at Savile Row is cheaper that buying a RTW at Tom Ford. That is true, to an extent. But you will not get the exact Tom Ford suit even with a bespoke. Each tailor has their own characteristics & vision of what a good suit is, and will be made as such - even with bespoke. Tom Ford has his vision of what he thinks a good suit should fit & look like, and I share this vision with him. I have not had a bespoke made yet so I may have spoken too early but at this present moment, his suits are as perfect as they can be. The quality of products I have seen these days as I venture through each boutiques week in week out, have been disappointing. In a way, he has opened my eyes to the presence of inferiorly made products that are prevalent everywhere and yet the prices are heavily marked up. These are just some of the few things that I came to know through finding out more about the construction of Tom Ford's clothings. There are more but I will spare you. I hardly find any inspiration in other fashion house anymore, I enjoy knowing the innerworks of how much effort into design & construction has been put through to attain the final product. And Tom Ford comes through top in that aspect.

His prices are exorbitant, that is luxury goods for you. But you can be certain that the quality & workmanship is there. There are items from Tom Ford that I find too exaggerated for my taste, in terms of designs & price points but there are others that I would happily indulge in. Just like many other things in life.
Tom Ford is not for everyone. He is overhyped. Who cares. Just live with it because he is not going anywhere. Curse away now....

Last edited by Quarks; 19-11-2011 at 08:12 AM.
19-11-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarks View Post
This collection looks very pleasing, refreshing, reminisce of his Gucci & YSL days. Very chic & impressive. Last but not least, they are so wearable. How many of you (who criticises so damn much) do actually go out & buy latest 'cutting edge' designs from fashion houses each season?
I agree with this. If we look at each collection on it's own in a lookbook format, they would be just... over. Yes, they look good on stage, but irl, we can't really wear this onto the streets (especially in where I live *oh it sucks*).

I guess Tom Ford needs to tone down the hype sometimes to match the clothes themselves, but nevertheless, his collection is one that is truly more unique than the others but yet still very wearable. I like his reference to the YSL and Gucci days... and I absolutely agree with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstorm View Post
It's hilarious to read Tom Ford's collection resembles Gucci since there would have never been modern Gucci without Tom Ford.

19-11-2011
barcode

Quote:
This looks like a catalogue for Mango. For some reason, the colors along with the use of material make the clothes look cheap.

Still the same old Tom Ford. Nothing special then. Nothing special now.

Funny how most of those who insist that this is what women desire are actually... men. Well, Tom Ford's most vocal supporters have usually been male. Unless you're a tart who married for money and can afford a personal trainer 24/7. Or a celebrity. Or a supermodel.

The vocal supporters aren't the ones who really matter in the end, are they? It's the silent supporters who actually wear it.

And I may not be a woman, and I'm definitely not a trophy wife, but don't you think lumping every one of his female clients both past and present into the category of "mindless, tasteless tart willing to marry for financial gain" just the slightest bit offensive?

As for the collection, I don't completely love it, though I don't hate it either. There are looks I find beautiful, looks I find forgettable and looks I find quite overwrought. But the mood of this is what feels off to me, and the lack of continuity here isn't really working for me either. It's a bit all over the place.

I like that he's found an enjoyment in spontaneity, but his strength was always the punch of of an undiluted statement. Some of these pieces make a statement, yes, but the whole thing doesn't quite say anything.

20-11-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
^^ As someone that really admires the Tom Ford aesthetic, i honestly think that the fact he hides his collections is a pure marketing ploy, not because he is afraid that they become diluted on the high street or they became less exclusive because of the exposure , but because he clearly understands that he has nothing new or really special to offer, something that will create the amount of fascination he produced in the old days, and if he wants to maintain the aura the Tom Ford brand created, he needs to add those clothes extra value, value they would not have if they had stood head to head with other rich people's favourites.
i love how some in this forum seek to disparage tom ford's intentions as if he doesn't find himself partially responsible for the very runway culture in which we exist at this moment. the era of tom ford runway shows REMAINS legend. from the rainfall of rose petals to the scotch-and-strippers show, he knows how to put on a show and he knows how to drive his audience to spend to the point of madness. if he wanted to participate in that silly game, he could.

however, recently, he launched his cosmetics line at bergdorf goodman and sold out of his lipstick which costs fifty dollars a pop. as many know, dior put on shows for YEARS to push their other product lines, like cosmetics and fragrance. he's not playing that game and the stuff SELLS. he's re-writing the rules and some of the twittering vultures of the blogosphere can't stand it.

yes, it's been nice to see things as soon as they hit the runway, but it's evolved into something more than that: read most of the reviews on here just as a sample. most people reply to initial images of these shows in one of three ways: negatively, obstusely, or with idolic praise no matter what gets presented. and in this world where stuff gets copied so quickly, why would you even play that game while you're trying to build your fashion label up?

if that white suit would've exited on the ysl runway, people would've cheered. if that feathered top appeared along side the other looks from giamba, people would've extoled it's novelty. if that gilded jacket found itself thrown over a pair of gucci pants at that show, everyone would exclaim the triumph. but because some -- some who ADMITTEDLY would never ever buy a single piece of tom ford clothing ever in their lives -- didn't get to see it along side with everything else, they get mad.

i say, get mad and stay mad because clearly he's on to something.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
This looks like a catalogue for Mango. For some reason, the colors along with the use of material make the clothes look cheap.

Still the same old Tom Ford. Nothing special then. Nothing special now.

because if most of his ardent supporters were women, you'd suddenly change your opinion? what does that say about the strength of your convictions about this collection if it finds itself so easily swayed by the sex of its critics.

tom ford got back into the womenswear game because of his FEMALE fans begging him to get back into the game. he could have easily waited a few more years and made even more of a splash when the world isn't wringing its hands with financial messes.

he has an advantage in that he KNOWS -- not in some abstract "know my client" type of way -- as in literally hangs out and lives life with the women he dresses. that's why the stuff sells.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
This.

I agree, though I feel the super exclusivity is perhaps having the opposite effect. One of the main reasons why I find the collection so darn underwhelming is because the expectations were so high in the first place. When one is staking a claim to exclusivity (and pricing it accordingly), then the least one ought to ensure is that the design justifies the price and hype. This collection comes a cropper on both grounds.

Absolutely. As a woman, even if I had millions to fritter away in designer clothes, I'd rather buy another achingly beautiful Elie Saab couture gown even if I own a dozen pieces from the collection already than a lacklustre and hackneyed Tom Ford piece. I guess that's just me, but however rich I am, I still would want to shell out money on something which is well and truly extraordinary, rather than on something which I don't personally find all that.
i love how NOT having a fashion show in some twisted and deranged way makes tom ford over-hyped. marc jacobs LITERALLY installed a carousel for his last louis vuitton collection (a collection that contained pieces so beautiful they could have hung on a lifeless mannequin and still looked spectacular). new york fashion week designers fell over themselves to try to get celebrities back into their front rows again. and everyone from burberry to armani to ralph lauren inundated the web with videos and teasers and everything else to build up buzz for their show. tom ford did NONE of that, but it's over-hyped? he simply presented his collection behind closed doors to a selection of people of his choosing without cameras and that's over-hyped. truly, the world has turned upside down when that constitutes hype.

and don't get me started on pricing: marc jacobs puts out plastic heels and charges seven hundred bucks for them. lanvin continues to send out brass jewelry and charges several thousands to obtain it. givenchy adorns its models with cloth necklaces with some novelty charm that will look silly in six months and charges a thousand bucks for it. celine sends out silk screened logoed t-shirts and demands hundreds for them. but tom ford gives us ridiculously luxurious materials, exclusive cuts, and items that actually stand the test of time and you think he overcharges?

V.I.P.

^^ I think that he is onto something and that is to up his profile to sell more cosmetics and fragrance. I don't think that Tom Ford is a serious designer of women's clothing at this time. That is totally fine with me, and it in fact intrigues me, but I am going to sneer at his pretentious ramblings about exclusivity and not wanting to subject these collections to the churn factor that other collections undergo, and I am also going to criticize Tom Ford's collections as I would several collections of clothes that I have opined on.

Quote:
if that white suit would've exited on the ysl runway, people would've cheered. if that feathered top appeared along side the other looks from giamba, people would've extoled it's novelty. if that gilded jacket found itself thrown over a pair of gucci pants at that show, everyone would exclaim the triumph.
Yeah two seasons ago...

But it is not like the designers noted are tFS faves - Pilati is seen as boring, Valli is seen as some guy who makes pretty clothes and Giannini has not come out from Tom Ford's shadow. Also it should be noted that Tom Ford returned to womenswear was a heralded event and he garnered a ton of goodwill and hype, heck some believe that Carine Roitfeld lost her job over it, and IMO the goodwill dissipated because the collections have not matched the hype, or even in general been anything all that special for a seasoned and respected womenswear designer.

Last edited by agee; 20-11-2011 at 03:23 AM.
20-11-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
^^ I think that he is onto something and that is to up his profile to sell more cosmetics and fragrance. I don't think that Tom Ford is a serious designer of women's clothing at this time. That is totally fine with me, and it in fact intrigues me, but I am going to sneer at his pretentious ramblings about exclusivity and not wanting to subject these collections to the churn factor that other collections undergo, and I am also going to criticize Tom Ford's collections as I would several collections of clothes that I have opined on.

Yeah two seasons ago...

But it is not like the designers noted are tFS faves - Pilati is seen as boring, Valli is seen as some guy who makes pretty clothes and Giannini has not come out from Tom Ford's shadow. Also it should be noted that Tom Ford returned to womenswear was a heralded event and he garnered a ton of goodwill and hype, heck some believe that Carine Roitfeld lost her job over it, and IMO the goodwill dissipated because the collections have not matched the hype, or even in general been anything all that special for a seasoned and respected womenswear designer.
your comment illustrates the inanity of the current fashion system. yves saint laurent placed a white pant suit on its runway for spring/summer 2012. giambattista valli played with the textures i mentioned in his spring/summer 2012 collection. gucci sent out a series of gilded jackets on its runway for spring/summer 2012. it may feel like two seasons ago because we have lived with those looks for months now and have seen them on select celebrities already, but that's the problem with the whole thing.

do we suggest that every single womenswear designer with exception of the haiders and anns and theyskens of the bunch "[aren't] serious designer[s] of women's clothing at this time?" i can agree that OVERALL we haven't seen the strongest season in the ready-to-wear, but to isolate tom ford remains a bit myopic in my view. the clothes fall wholly in line with everything going on in womenswear at the moment. they just haven't been over-saturated.

V.I.P.

^ Yeah those themes may have been included in their SS 2012 collections but they were introduced in prior seasons. In the case of Valli, he's been playing with textures and volume for a while. It may not be considered gilded but Gucci has been doing the fitted jacket over pants thing for at least two seasons too. Pilati did a white theme in the SS 2011 collection and continued it in the Fall collection where he did a white suit, so these are not fresh themes. Come to think of it Tom Ford did a white suit in his SS 2011 collection and I think that people took notice of it and complimented him for it then, but people are not going to keep gushing over the same themes and variations of the same garment season after season. I don't blame a designer for repeating certain looks across collections, but usually a collection and designer are not going to be judged (at least not positively) for doing the same thing across seasons, perhaps in the Valli situation with the play on textures and volume because that is so broad, but not at the garment level. But let me step back and say this, I am not seeing all these platitudes being tossed at the designers under discussion, particularly Giannini. She does her thing and sends her collections down the runway to tepid if not negative reviews, particularly among the commentariat, but she keeps doing her part to keep the Gucci machine going. I am also not seeing other designers getting praised to the rafters while poor Tom Ford gets lambasted, several designers get either excoriated or ignored on tFS and other venues.

I stand by my point that I don't think that Tom Ford is a serious designer of women's clothing at this time, I say that because I believe that he is better than what he has been producing in the past couple of seasons, and if he is not then he is smart enough to hire some underlings who can execute his vision in a more modern and exciting way. The fact that he is going about things in this way indicates to me that he has another agenda, and my theory is he is trying to find a way to keep his name above the din for brand awareness reasons, and the female related products that he is most trying to sell are fragrance and cosmetics, and producing fashion collections is more of a marketing exercise. I don't have a problem with that and as I stated earlier, I find it downright intriguing, but naw this dude is not serious about womenswear.

20-11-2011
fashion insider

Nice but not spectacular.

20-11-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Say whatever you want, but this is what women want to wear.
As a woman with enough dispensable income, I ask you to speak for yourself on this one. I would never wear any of this unless I was attending a year 2000 theme party. He may not be swayed by current trends, but this collection is anything but timeless!

20-11-2011
rising star

I like some pieces very luxe and timeless.

20-11-2011
fashion elite

its ok...why such a big exclusivity mto get this basic boring clothes....??

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, ford, london, s or s, tom