How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-11-2011
fashion insider

Yes, there's a lack of innovation or anything spectacular, but that's not the main problem for me. Imo, the main problem is how much hype it's getting and the "exclusive" marketing in spite of the lack of innovation and spectacularity.

20-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradable View Post
Do not like too much this collection.
Reminds me a little bit to Gucci SS 11.
It was my first thought.

20-11-2011
fashion insider

I think Tom Ford it's in a place of his career that he doesn't care about trends or being in every magazine, he does what he wants, and what he knows: sexy dresses, impecable tailoring and luxurious accesories.

And it's great that he doesn't show his collection with everybody, the f*cking celebrities are burning all the summer collections and isn't even winter, and the magazines are showing summer too, and when it's actually summer, wich costumer wants something that already saw in every magazine during winter?

21-11-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TianSoFine View Post
Yes, there's a lack of innovation or anything spectacular, but that's not the main problem for me. Imo, the main problem is how much hype it's getting and the "exclusive" marketing in spite of the lack of innovation and spectacularity.
there exist any number of designers that don't stage traditional runway presentations. alaia has done this for years. not every house has to subject themselves to the glare and ridicule of the internet (not to mention the expense of it) when it doesn't really work for their business.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
^ Yeah those themes may have been included in their SS 2012 collections but they were introduced in prior seasons. In the case of Valli, he's been playing with textures and volume for a while. It may not be considered gilded but Gucci has been doing the fitted jacket over pants thing for at least two seasons too. Pilati did a white theme in the SS 2011 collection and continued it in the Fall collection where he did a white suit, so these are not fresh themes. Come to think of it Tom Ford did a white suit in his SS 2011 collection and I think that people took notice of it and complimented him for it then, but people are not going to keep gushing over the same themes and variations of the same garment season after season. I don't blame a designer for repeating certain looks across collections, but usually a collection and designer are not going to be judged (at least not positively) for doing the same thing across seasons, perhaps in the Valli situation with the play on textures and volume because that is so broad, but not at the garment level. But let me step back and say this, I am not seeing all these platitudes being tossed at the designers under discussion, particularly Giannini. She does her thing and sends her collections down the runway to tepid if not negative reviews, particularly among the commentariat, but she keeps doing her part to keep the Gucci machine going. I am also not seeing other designers getting praised to the rafters while poor Tom Ford gets lambasted, several designers get either excoriated or ignored on tFS and other venues.

I stand by my point that I don't think that Tom Ford is a serious designer of women's clothing at this time, I say that because I believe that he is better than what he has been producing in the past couple of seasons, and if he is not then he is smart enough to hire some underlings who can execute his vision in a more modern and exciting way. The fact that he is going about things in this way indicates to me that he has another agenda, and my theory is he is trying to find a way to keep his name above the din for brand awareness reasons, and the female related products that he is most trying to sell are fragrance and cosmetics, and producing fashion collections is more of a marketing exercise. I don't have a problem with that and as I stated earlier, I find it downright intriguing, but naw this dude is not serious about womenswear.
by that estimation, most designers working in the fashion industry wouldn't get classified as serious designers of women's clothing. we will have to agree to disagree on that. i believe that most designers working are serious, but they understand the realities of the business. azzedine alaia has worked with the same silhouettes and fabrications for decades now. he didn't put on runway shows until recently. he has always grandiose opinions about his house, his vision for women, and the world of fashion writ large. at some point, we have to free ourselves of the notion that a designer's idiosyncrasies stand as some cynical marketing devices and understand that some of these quirks are actually who these people are. perhaps, like alaia, like armani, like ralph lauren, like donna karan, tom ford understands who he is and he's not going to spend a bunch of money and energy trying to convince those on the internet -- who have no interest in him nor his products anyway -- that he's someone else he's not.

the women who bought gucci in the nineties and ysl in the aughties didn't just die off because he stopped designing for those houses. they didn't just stop liking those things because he went into retirement. he has a point of view that connects to the way that lots of people want to look. and every single one of these spring/summer looks reflects that.

V.I.P.

I think it is a fantastic collection. It's provocative, it's confident. You go to Tom Ford because he knows how to make you look good, how to make you confident wearing his clothes. That to me has more value than the hottest designer piece that will feel out of date in no time. In this era, I feel like many designers have forgotten how to really make desireable clothes, going for the conceptual and downright pretentious ideas. Are they being visual designers? Designing for the eyes?

I applaud his effort to protect his work, he doesn't want to play that "shock of the new" game almost everyone in the industry has adopted, going for the spectacle instead of the substance. I may not be completely agree with his strategy (mostly because I crave to see his clothes in motion, to get "the feel") but I'm sure TF knows what he wants at this stage, and if he feels this is the right way to go with his business then... so be it! Because it is his business and he is free to do it.

He knows he ain't no trendy house, he just keeps being good at what he is - making beautiful clothes for people who want his clothes. I am glad that he hasn't forgotten his clientele: women who want to wear clothes, not costumes. Sure, some of it feels already seen, reminiscent of what he has done in the past, but I'm glad it is because it is true to what he is.

07-01-2012
V.I.P.

HQs are up on Tom Ford's website. Could someone be so kind and post them here ?

Some Like It Hot

^On it. .

Some Like It Hot

HQ's

*Tomford.com

Some Like It Hot

*Tomford.com

Some Like It Hot

*Tomford.com

fashion insider

I keep going over this collection, thinking maybe I've missed something, or maybe if I just give it another chance, I'll understand his aesthetic. But I don't. It baffles me that any woman would want to wear any of this (but, hey, to each her own...).

You literally couldn't pay me to wear any of this. I don't find it fresh or timeless, I find it quite outdated and uninteresting. Actually, if I'm being completely honest, the best word I can think of to describe how I feel about this collection is "tacky"!

backstage pass

^ Well said. I loved most of the looks he did with his S/S11 collection but since then I've found it hard to empathise with his aesthetic. It's strange because he's really pushed a "timeless glamor" sell on his brand but as you said, it seems... tacky. I actually really want to love his designs because I think Tom is divine but yeah, not loving it.

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfportraitgrl View Post
I keep going over this collection, thinking maybe I've missed something, or maybe if I just give it another chance, I'll understand his aesthetic. But I don't. It baffles me that any woman would want to wear any of this (but, hey, to each her own...).

You literally couldn't pay me to wear any of this. I don't find it fresh or timeless, I find it quite outdated and uninteresting. Actually, if I'm being completely honest, the best word I can think of to describe how I feel about this collection is "tacky"!
I do agree with you on some points but i think alot of it is due to the styling, it's alittle OTT and excessive and not in a good way either and also the make up is abit... much ? I think seeing as the clothes are so excessive and showy that he should of simplified the girls make-up and make them less 'Beauty Pageant'.

Some looks are like any collection, some are hideous and some make the collection memorable.

I dislike the Purple and Black leather dresses and the Purple Trench.

The one person i can envisage in the entirety of this collection is Carine Roitfeld, was it styled by her by any chance ? .

fashion insider

^ "Over the top" is definitely another great way to describe this collection.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, ford, london, s or s, tom