How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-01-2012
barcode

I have to say the collection has grown on me a bit. I still don't think it's his best work, but I like a lot of the daywear in particular. You can definitely see an emphasis on truly casual pieces that can be worn by most women for most occasions. I still think it's missing that concise, "this is what sets this season apart" quality that his first two outings had, but I've warmed up to it overall.

As far as it being tacky, yeah, it is, but hasn't Mr. Ford always walked that line? I mean come on, this is a guy who showed lucite neck braces and breastplates under sheer chiffon one season, yellow and hot pink maribou shrugs the next, and a head-to-tail fox collar after that. His stuff now is no more over the top or borderline tacky than it always was. Besides, anyone who thinks Ford isn't fully aware of his brand's potential for being OTT is sadly mistaken. He's always embraced the tasteless and the tasteful.

08-01-2012
windowshopping

This is all over the place and immensely unorganized. While it is bad, there are a few good pieces, though: black v-neck dress and the black suit, in particular. However, if it weren't for the photography and the name, this collection looks rather cheap..

"I always like the idea of Tom Ford so much better than the reality."
I whole-heartedly agree. I do think his menswear is so much more stronger than his womenswear, though.

Last edited by NICOnick; 08-01-2012 at 03:41 AM.
10-01-2012
taz
MUSE

it surprise me how badly he spoked about Yves Saint Laurent in the past of being boring & out of fashion & lately on Yves personelle ,,,,
& then how every inch in this collection screams YSL 1990's vintage !!!!!!

it is even more YSL than Pilati work himself?!? I don't undestand this?!

10-01-2012
barcode

^ I don't recall him ever speaking badly about Yves' work. Yves the person yes, his body of work, not so much.

His work has always been influenced by YSL, though, so it's not surprising.

10-01-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
Funny how most of those who insist that this is what women desire are actually... men.
What I take away from your statement is that Tom Ford's designs represent the perspective of what men think women want to wear. And the more I look at not only this collection, but also a retrospective of Tom Ford for Gucci, I quite agree.

Tom Ford now reminds me of an episode of What Not to Wear, when a woman actually had her husband help her pick out clothes. It wasn't working for her, and Tom Ford doesn't work for me.

barcode

^ The only problem with your theory that he designs what a man thinks women want to wear as opposed to what they actually want to wear is that, throughout his entire career, plenty of women have actually wanted to wear his clothes, and in the past especially, clamored to do so.

It may not be you, it may not be a whole chunk of the female fashion-buying public, but his track record proves the he knows what some women, his women, want...which is basically what can be said of any good designer.

Last edited by Spike413; 10-01-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, ford, london, s or s, tom